LFNokia

Robert E. Lee by LFNokia - Amati - 1:150

A friend dug up a project that was starte quite some years ago and never finished and gave it to me

The 1st inspection was about trying to see if there was any missing parts, seems a few wooden pieces are missing, all i've see so far can be replicated easily from the scraps i have arround.

Some tears in the instructions along with some water damage, still everything is readable.

2nd inspection on what has been built already, news are not so great, this piece is wrong

IMG_20180408_154423.jpg
IMG_20180408_154434.jpg

The main piece of the deck is not centered

And the castle already made didn't take into consideration that the is inclined
IMG_20180408_030237.jpg

So, the work started, mostly about correcting or minimizing the mistakes

IMG_20180407_195050.jpg
IMG_20180407_211649.jpg
IMG_20180408_020721.jpg
IMG_20180408_031234.jpg
IMG_20180408_031241.jpg
IMG_20180408_154222.jpg
IMG_20180408_154233.jpg
IMG_20180408_164343.jpg
IMG_20180408_183409.jpg

more updates soon, the build is already a bit further ahead than this post

Nice recovery. Went through this on two previous builds over the years. Everything must be methodically measured and checked against the plans. If not, disaster. Keep up the great work.

a friend recently sent me the remnants of this model that he had bought off of E-bay.........your log will be a great reference when I get around to rebuilding it  ;) 

nice job on the paddles! :) 

Posted (edited)

good luck on your build, let me know if you start a log

Now i have a decision to make, with the paddles in place, it is clear that the waterline should be higher, but if i move it, aesthetically from most points of view, only black will be seen on the hull... so... accuracy or aesthetics...

Edited by LFNokia

8 hours ago, LFNokia said:

good luck on your build, let me know if you start a log

Now i have a decision to make, with the paddles in place, it is clear that the waterline should be higher, but if i move it, aesthetically from most points of view, only black will be seen on the hull... so... accuracy or aesthetics...

really like this boat and your build of her. regarding the hull color, i'm not too sure what you mean but why not get rid of the black altogether and paint the entire hull white, which was extremely common practice at the time. a lot of old drawings of the vessel depict her with a white hull. she certainly appears in literature and art with a predominately white hull as opposed to one having a black one.

cheers

chris

20 hours ago, vossy said:

really like this boat and your build of her. regarding the hull color, i'm not too sure what you mean but why not get rid of the black altogether and paint the entire hull white, which was extremely common practice at the time. a lot of old drawings of the vessel depict her with a white hull. she certainly appears in literature and art with a predominately white hull as opposed to one having a black one.

cheers

chris

I like that a lot more than moving the black so high, i'll definetly consider it, thanks