Charles W Morgan by Papa - FINISHED - Model Shipways - 1/64th scale

At long last I have started my CWM. This kit has been in my stash for quite some time.  I saw no point in photographing the kit contents as there are quite a few Morgan build logs showing the parts.  I will note that, contrary to the instructions, the center keel was a single laser cut piece, not 2 pieces. I do not know if this is still the case, but it makes for an easier start to the build. The photo shows my building slip set up to start test-fitting the bulkheads.

CWM.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Work on the Morgan has been slow. I am taking my time making sure that each bulkhead aligns to the reference marks and is square to the keel. I am letting the glue set at least overnight before moving on. I have found that shaping the bevels is so much easier with solid wood bulkheads.  Beveling plywood is a pain.

20E6D42A-EDF7-4588-9205-151212B0427E.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...

Finished the bulkheads and, following the building instructions, attached temporary battens along the bulkheads verifying that the spacing was identical port and starboard. I did this by cutting spacers that would just fit between bulkheads at the center keel and then used them to properly space the outside.  Only tiny adjustments were necessary because I had been very careful to square up the bulkheads as I glued them in place.

CWM adjusting frames.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I have shaped the counter block and started the transom framing. I made a quick jig, not in picture, to hold the frame piece at the correct angle until the glue dried. I will trim the frame pieces to length when they are all in place.  I found the counter block was very difficult to get right.  There are a lot of angles and bevels.  In fact, I messed one up and had to start again. 

counter block.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Wow almost 2 months since my last post.  Been busy with other projects but I also had a VERY difficult time with the sheer rail at the bow.  The laser cut pieces were constantly breaking.  Every time i tried to work near the bow my hand would slip or I'd put too much pressure on something and snap, the rail would break along the grain.  i think every layer of grain now has been glued together. Finally got it in and inserted the bulwarks; also a difficult task getting them all aligned.  I couldn't figure out how to feather the waterway into the ceiling planks without the ceiling planks in place. So I modified the build order and laid a few ceiling planks and this provided a reference to feather the waterway. As one can see in the photo, more sanding is needed for a smooth transition. The Morgan will go on a 10 week hiatus as my wife and i are traveling up to the Canadian Maritime Provinces. Specifically, New Brunswick and Prince Edward Island.

sheer rail.jpg

waterway.jpg

• 11 months later...

Hy ragove! What do you think about filling blocks of softwood between the bulkheads (as they will give a much larger surface to you to sand and gluing onthe next two layers)???

"Let's add every day 1/2 hour of

modelship building to our

projects' progress..."

Take care!

Christian Heinrich

OverTheWaves.jpg.534bd9a459123becf821c603b550c99e.jpg

simple, true and inpretentious motto of ROYAL LOUIS, 1668

Sunking's mediter. flagship most decorated ocean-going ship 

Ships on build:

SAINT PHILIPPE, 1693: 

1st rang French 90-gun ship - Lavente flagship (based on Heller SR - 1/92 & scratch in 1/64) 

TONNANT, 1693: 

1st rang French 90-gun ship - sister of SAINT PHILIPPE (mock-up/test-object for S.P. - scratch in 1/64) 

Projects in planing:

L'AURORE, 1766:

French Pleasure Corvette (after Ancre plans - scatch in 1/64)

Some Spantaneous Short Term Projects

• 3 weeks later...

Planking is now underway.  I had a bad time with the bow as the plank shear broke into many pieces during earlier stages of the build. I patched it up as best I could and continued.  However, once i started planking I could see that my repairs we not good.  The port and starboard sides were quite asymmetrical. I had to rip out all of the planking around the bow, repair the asymmetry and start planking again again.  Looks much better at the bows now.  A bit of filling and sanding to do still. Ready to start the planks below the wale.

bow shot.jpg

CWM planking .jpg

Looking good.  For the planksheer, I believe I sanded it flat with the first planking.  For the second planking, I’m using a thicker plank.  It seemed impossible to keep planksheer extended past the hull an even amount along the full hull. 

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

You're coming along pretty well. I had quite a bit of trouble with the plankshear on my CWM too, not so much it breaking, but rather I couldn't seem to maintain a consistent projection from the hull for the length of the ship. If you're unhappy with the look of your plankshear, I would echo Landlubber Mike's suggestion to sand it smooth with the hull and then apply a new piece over top. That's what I did as well. It gave a very crisp look and it's a very easy fix.

David

Current Build - St. Roch, Billing Boats; HMS Agamemnon, Caldercraft (on hold)

Previous Builds - Armed Virginia Sloop, Model Shipways; Constitution, Model Shipways; Rattlesnake, Mamoli; Virginia Privateer, Marine Model Co, restoration; Prince de Neufchatel, Model Shipways; Charles W. Morgan, Model Shipways; Pride of Baltimore II, Model Shipways, Bluenose, Model Shipways (x2); Niagara, Model Shipways; Mayfower, Model Shipways; Shamrock V, Amati; HMS Pegasus, Victory/Amati

Just echoing what David said, I would sand it flat and then add the plankshear extension to the hull as a separate piece.  Otherwise I think it will be next to impossible to maintain a consistent extension along the hull.  

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Thanks for the advice. I had pretty much decided to sand the plankshear down and put on a piece of strip wood.  I tried just building up the low sections with smaller lengths but it looks messy. Better to sand it all out and add a new piece.

Edited by ragove
Typo

• 3 weeks later...

I misread the drawing of the “fashion piece” in the instruction book. I was seeing it applied to the stern. I realized before getting very far that it is applied to the side of the hull along the edge where the side meets the stern. I have include a picture as I thought it shows the usefulness of the building slip more than the fashion piece.

198A6FCB-4CB5-4472-B545-DCA65FBBF29D.jpeg

Edited by ragove

• 2 weeks later...

While trying to fit the fashion pieces at the stern I realized that my stern and transom did not agree with the plans. I had to rip out some planking and reshape the stern block. I should have been more careful with the shaping when I first did it.  Maybe I learned a good lesson.  Once again the building slip shows it’s versatility. 

C7BC8BD3-8C76-4939-8E08-177BE0410B8B.jpeg

AAD86A62-E3BD-4B1C-AC18-10B1E3087984.jpeg

• 4 weeks later...

Looks great!  The bulwarks are not easy when you have to individually set up all the stanchions.

Mike