Swann Morton chisel blades.

Just discovered Swann Morton produce chisel blades in their range....SM61, SM62, SM61SB, SM62SB.  The SB is a single bevel. approx. 3mm and 5mm respectively....tried these and they are superb for intricate work. You will need a few as with every scalpel blade but they are well worth it. 

untitled.png

Edited by harlequin
include image.

They also do a round handle SF1 to SF4  depending on the length you want, which makes them a little easier to use than the standard handle if it helps.

Edited by noel_colledge

Finished builds are 

1/35 Endeavour's Longboat by Artesania Latina

1/36 scratch built Philadelphia Gunboat from the Smithsonian Plans

Current build is

Scratch build Boudroit's Monograph for La Jacinthe at 1/36

• 1 year later...

Available in the UK from here. scalpelsandblades.co.uk

Bob

Bob

Current build Cutty Sark, Mini Mamoli

Finished  King of the Mississippi                     

No trees were harmed by this message, but an awful lot of electrons were put out.

• 1 year later...

Is there a good source of these blades and handles in the United States?

Ryland

Member - Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

- Ship Model Society of New Jersey

- Nautical Research Guild

Current Build - Armed Virginia Sloop, 18th Century Longboat

Completed Build - Medway Longboat

Ryland,  You only need non-sterile blades unless you are planning on a little home surgery.   Amazon has a number of different SM blades with free shipping if you are a Prime customer.  You can find them on Ebay as well.   I get them in boxes of 100 for about $25 .  I have two handles and load each with a different blade but mostly use 10A and 11, but occasionally #10 blades come in handy.   

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

I got a life-time supply via ebay - sometimes suppliers/hospitals etc. sell off blades cheaply in their original packages of 100, when the best before date for the sterilisation has expired and they cannot be used any more in a medical context.

wefalck

panta rhei - Everything is in flux

M-et-M-72.jpg  Banner-AKHS-72.jpg  Banner-AAMM-72.jpg  ImagoOrbis-72.jpg

There is nothing magic about  SM.  My blades are brand X.  More important is the handle.   The cheap ones do not hold the blade as well. 

Toni

Chairman Nautical Research Guild

Member Nautical Research and Model Society

Member Midwest Model Shipwrights

Current Builds:     NRG Rigging Project

Completed Builds: Longboat - 1:48 scale       HMS Atalanta-1775 - 1:48 scale       Half Hull Planking Project      Capstan Project     Swallow 1779 - 1:48 scale               Echo Cross Section   

Gallery:  Hannah - 1:36 scale.

I see the blades have their own fittings that don't fit standard #3 or #4 handles.

Do they fit anything else? The fitting looks quite bit like the one used on their orange plastic 'hobby utility knife' which, IIRC, is interchangeable with Xacto blades/handles.

It would be handy if they fit something already in my toolbox!

🌻

STAY SAFE

A model shipwright and an amateur historian are heads & tails of the same coin

current builds:

HMS Berwick 1775, 1/192 scratchbuild; a Slade 74 in the Navy Board style

Mediator sloop, 1/48 - an 18th century transport scratchbuild 

French longboat - CAF - 1/48, on hold

9 minutes ago, Tim Murphy said:

The worst blades are E-xato blades. Your lucky if they hold a edge for two cuts.

Tim, I know what you mean. But, since I have a couple of Xacto handles, I was wondering if the SM chisel blades would fit them.

🌻

STAY SAFE

A model shipwright and an amateur historian are heads & tails of the same coin

current builds:

HMS Berwick 1775, 1/192 scratchbuild; a Slade 74 in the Navy Board style

Mediator sloop, 1/48 - an 18th century transport scratchbuild 

French longboat - CAF - 1/48, on hold

11 hours ago, Tim Murphy said:

The worst blades are E-xato blades. Your lucky if they hold a edge for two cuts. Excel blades are better. I will look and try SM. Thanks for the info!

Tim

True, but I've never had one break on me like surgical scalpel blades are won't to do. There is an advantage to the heavier gauge metal of hobby knife blades. By the way, surgeons will generally only make a couple of cuts with a scalpel before exchanging it for a new sharp one. Scalpels aren't designed to hold their really sharp edges for any more than about that.

It's odd, but nobody's mentioned sharpening hobby knife blades. A fine sharpening stone, or a leather or MDF stropping wheel charged with green polishing abrasive, or even some fine sandpaper, will put a new razor-sharp edge on a hobby knife blade in seconds. I have a very old Arkansas sharpening stone which was designed for sharpening old fashioned straight razors. I use it to keep a sharp edge on my hobby knives. It works fine.

Shipman,

Thanks for the heads-up.

Supatool Retractable Handle Swann Morton 1459

...from .... https://www.scalpelsandblades.co.uk/range_23_swann-morton-supatool-blades-and-handles.php

You and Bob are right that the standard SM blades can be a bit fragile.

They also can be a bit dangerous if left lying around, when fitting a blade (I use pliers) , and removing the old blade (I use the SM 'box').

Richard

Edit: the Supatool may also be called the 'industrial handle' in the UK? ... https://www.amazon.co.uk/Swann-Morton-Retractable-Industrial-Handle-Fitting/dp/B007Q3ZT6E/ref=pd_sbs_6?pd_rd_w=mtyOc&pf_rd_p=fbd048ad-ab90-4647-94dd-974b91bedef1&pf_rd_r=C6WXGKWB9JXCEHNCDXWG&pd_rd_r=1ada9340-d2e7-4901-a964-a6440851b422&pd_rd_wg=XPoxO&pd_rd_i=B007Q3ZT6E&psc=1

Edited by Rik Thistle

3 hours ago, Bob Cleek said:

True, but I've never had one break on me like surgical scalpel blades are won't to do. There is an advantage to the heavier gauge metal of hobby knife blades. By the way, surgeons will generally only make a couple of cuts with a scalpel before exchanging it for a new sharp one. Scalpels aren't designed to hold their really sharp edges for any more than about that.

It's odd, but nobody's mentioned sharpening hobby knife blades. A fine sharpening stone, or a leather or MDF stropping wheel charged with green polishing abrasive, or even some fine sandpaper, will put a new razor-sharp edge on a hobby knife blade in seconds. I have a very old Arkansas sharpening stone which was designed for sharpening old fashioned straight razors. I use it to keep a sharp edge on my hobby knives. It works fine.

Sharpening works quite well when using the sandpaper tools delivered by proxxon.  I got both needles and blades  sharp enough .  There is also a rotating sharpening stone available by proxxon I usually start with the blades.

Clark