Genesis by Omega1234 - 1/300 - 49m Mega Yacht - 8 inches long - Finished

Hi folks

Hot on the heels of finishing my last model, Shadow, I’ve excitedly started on what I think is my biggest challenge yet - Genesis, a 49m Luxury Mega Yacht, based on an actual ship named Khalilah, built by an American builder, Palmer and Johnson.  The details of the ship, Khalilah, can be found here:  https://www.yachtcharterfleet.com/luxury-charter-yacht-46797/khalilah-photos.htm#yacht-tabs

As I don’t have any detailed plans, a lot of what I’m attempting is by sheer guess work, with a lot of help from a fellow MSW member (whose help and guidance I shall always appreciate).

Like all of my other models, Genesis will have a fully detailed interior, from her engine room through to her sky deck.

I hope you can follow me on my journey from here on.

The following photos show where I’m up to so far with the hull.  Lots and lots of work to go, folks!!!

Thanks. 

Patrick

E98D9E26-49D1-4535-A82D-D35D3E1418DD.jpeg

A2A7ABAA-5E22-4E8A-AB03-5AEBAC7A30B4.jpeg

A62A11D9-3756-42C5-9E00-EED65C9EA5DC.jpeg

D06D0310-5FAD-4EE4-A985-ED7921999836.jpeg

DACCEA05-7B1C-42C2-8536-070836D84641.jpeg

A3194981-AF61-4889-9D65-596C6D275D07.jpeg

Hi Patrick,

thats a very ambitious super yacht (Khalilha) you have chosen. With all those curved surfaces I think I would never find through, let alone fitting out the interior, but you had a good test run with your fab. "Shadow"

Wish you a steady hand and good luck with the build...:rolleyes:

Nils

Edited by Mirabell61

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

2 minutes ago, Mirabell61 said:

Hi Patrick,

thats a very ambitious super yacht (Khalilha) you have chosen. With all those curved surfaces I think I would never find through, let alone fitting out the interior, but you had a good test run with your fab. "Shadow"

Nils

Thanks Nils!

Yes, you’re right about Genisis’ complex curves.  She is definitely not a hull for the faint hearted, that’s for sure!

Have a great week.

Cheers. 

Patrick

Hi everyone!

Okay...Seriously!!!!  Is this a Star Wars’ spaceship, or is it a mega yacht’s hull???  She sure looks weird at this stage, but trust me, Genisis will look really spiffy once it’s done....

Here’s the progress so far.

Cheers. 

Patrick

3A806D5E-5050-440C-8F1E-94CB0DFEDE71.jpeg

EC114677-154C-4045-84AF-81F64D6760AD.jpeg

458473EB-76B1-4832-A021-E75CBE51CDB6.jpeg

F84C2F16-53C5-422C-997A-B729B0E056BB.jpeg

2339CEEE-6571-4E8E-B853-7FCB100DF00A.jpeg

933DB80F-031F-4A90-870E-8CF0902BC5F1.jpeg

Edited by Omega1234

Patrick,

I got dizzy following Shadow, this one is really going to test by depth perception. Kudos to be able to work at such a small scale with such precision. Question what wood are you using for the hull?

Will follow until the launch.

John Allen

Current builds HMS Victory-Mamoli

On deck

USS Tecumseh, CSS Hunley scratch build, Double hull Polynesian canoe (Holakea) scratch build

Finished

Waka Taua Maori War Canoe, Armed Launch-Panart, Diligence English Revenue Cutter-Marine  Model Co. 

36 minutes ago, John Allen said:

Patrick,

I got dizzy following Shadow, this one is really going to test by depth perception. Kudos to be able to work at such a small scale with such precision. Question what wood are you using for the hull?

Will follow until the launch.

Thanks John

I got dizzy myself!  Shadow was a certainly complex beast, but Genesis is a real doozie!

I’m using Balsa wood for the hull, but don’t worry, I’m going to cover the balsa with something like plasticard, to stiffen it up.  The other thing is that 99% of the balsa wood will be carved away leaving an empty shell, (thereby allowing the interior to be built).

Well, that’s the plan, anyway!

Thanks for coming onboard.  

Cheers. 

Patrick

Edited by Omega1234

Count me in, Patrick.  I love your subject choices and then the execution. Genesis looks to be a huge challenge and I daresay that you'll be up to it.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

1 hour ago, mtaylor said:

Count me in, Patrick.  I love your subject choices and then the execution. Genesis looks to be a huge challenge and I daresay that you'll be up to it.

Hi Mark

Welcome onboard and thanks for the well-wishes!

Cheers. 

Patrick

Hi Patrick!

Excited to see the ‘genesis’ of this project!(...sorry, I can show myself out...)

In all seriousness, it looks like you’re off to a great start. I like the approach of tackling the side hulls as their own assembly. That said, how are you ensuring they stay securely joined as you carve away to fair them into the main hull? I suppose a strong glue might be enough given how soft balsa is. 

Also, the main hull looks great - I think you’ve nailed the bulb and the entry/flare of the forward sections. Plus you’ve got that combination of smooth and angular that makes this hull stand out. Looking forward to seeing the progress! 

~ Ben

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

Current Builds:

'Doll-Boat' - 1:12 scale 40' Cruising Sailboat

S.S. Edmund Fitzgerald - 1:350 plastic kit w/ Photo Etch Parts (On Hold)

An interesting build Omega.  As this is so far out of my modelling domain it will be a very informative build to follow.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Great start, Omega. Curious web site for this yacht. Only exterior photos. Usually, there are numerous photos of the staterooms and cabins with yachts such as these.

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

moderator Echo Cross-section build
Admiralty Models Cross-section Build

Finished build
Pegasus, 1776, cross-section

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Super ... Patrick, I see you are a man whom likes his curves ;) :)

I'm ready anxious and waiting on al those magnificent steps in this build. You always seem to pull a rabbit out of a hat at some point ... curious what you'll come up with this time ... when I look at it's size compared to shadow, you'll have your hands full with the size of your interior decorating ... I would like to see a golden tap in the bathroom if you have the time ;)

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Patrick, they don’t make them like they used to. Can’t wait to see what you imagine to be inside. Perhaps warp engines with dilithium fuel bunkers.

Keith

Current Build:-

Cangarda (Steam Yacht) - Scale 1:24

Previous Builds:-

Schooner Germania (Nova) - Scale 1:36

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/19848-schooner-germania-nova-by-keithaug-scale-136-1908-2011/

Schooner Altair by KeithAug - Scale 1:32 - 1931

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/12515-schooner-altair-by-keithaug-scale-132-1931/?p=378702

J Class Endeavour by KeithAug - Amati - Scale 1:35 - 1989 after restoration.

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10752-j-class-endeavour-by-keithaug-amati-scale-135-1989-after-restoration/?p=325029

Other Topics

Nautical Adventures

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13727-nautical-adventures/?p=422846

8 hours ago, BenF89 said:

Hi Patrick!

Excited to see the ‘genesis’ of this project!(...sorry, I can show myself out...)

In all seriousness, it looks like you’re off to a great start. I like the approach of tackling the side hulls as their own assembly. That said, how are you ensuring they stay securely joined as you carve away to fair them into the main hull? I suppose a strong glue might be enough given how soft balsa is. 

Also, the main hull looks great - I think you’ve nailed the bulb and the entry/flare of the forward sections. Plus you’ve got that combination of smooth and angular that makes this hull stand out. Looking forward to seeing the progress! 

Hi Ben.  Woohoo!  Thanks for the vote of confidence and letting me know that I’m on the right track.  I’m not sure about the side hulls as yet, because so much of this build will be a ‘suck it and see it’ approach..... I guess I’ll just work it out along the way.  Nothing like a totally organic approach to boat building, hey?😏

8 hours ago, BANYAN said:

An interesting build Omega.  As this is so far out of my modelling domain it will be a very informative build to follow.

cheers

Pat

Thanks Pat - Great to have you onboard!

8 hours ago, dvm27 said:

Great start, Omega. Curious web site for this yacht. Only exterior photos. Usually, there are numerous photos of the staterooms and cabins with yachts such as these.

Thanks dvm27. As Mark said below, there’s a surprisingly large amount of photos on the Net.  In fact, everything except the actual hull plans...sadly😩

6 hours ago, mtaylor said:

Thanks Mark!  Greatly appreciated 😀

5 hours ago, cog said:

Super ... Patrick, I see you are a man whom likes his curves ;) :)

I'm ready anxious and waiting on al those magnificent steps in this build. You always seem to pull a rabbit out of a hat at some point ... curious what you'll come up with this time ... when I look at it's size compared to shadow, you'll have your hands full with the size of your interior decorating ... I would like to see a golden tap in the bathroom if you have the time ;)

Hi Carl.  Many thanks.  Like you, I’m also keen to see how well I can pull this one off.  Challenging and fun; that’s for sure.  Also, that’s an interesting comment about Shadow, because Genesis is actually slightly shorter in length than Shadow.  Good things come in small packages, hey?

3 hours ago, KeithAug said:

Patrick, they don’t make them like they used to. Can’t wait to see what you imagine to be inside. Perhaps warp engines with dilithium fuel bunkers.

Hi Keith - you’re absolutely right!  My first love will always be yachts and sailing ships (as witnessed by my previous sailing models such as Ingomar, Dorade, the J Class Rainbow, etc, etc), but, these modern mega yachts are just mesmerising and captivating in my opinion.  They are a true testament to what ‘imagination, money, dreaming and pushing the boundaries’ can achieve.  I guess, I’m hooked!!!

Thanks also to everyone who hit the Like button😀😀😀

Cheers. 

Patrick

Edited by Omega1234

1 hour ago, Omega1234 said:

Hi Carl.  Many thanks.  Like you, I’m also keen to see how well I can pull this one off.  Challenging and fun; that’s for sure.  Also, that’s an interesting comment about Shadow, because Genesis is actually slightly shorter in length than Shadow.  Good things come in small packages, hey?

Well that will make the tap a lot easier to construct :) :D

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Just crazy...:huh::D

-Elijah

Current build(s):

Continental Gunboat Philadelphia by Model Shipways

https://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/15753-continental-gunboat-philadelphia-by-elijah-model-shipways-124-scale/

Completed build(s):

Model Shipways Phantom

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?showtopic=12376

Member of:

The Nautical Research Guild

N.R.M.S.S. (Nautical Research and Model Ship Society)

huff'in and puff'in to catch up!    what an ambitious project you have going on here.........I look at the shape of the hull and right away,  I think James Bond! :)  I'll just take any seat.......no matter where you sit...it's ringside  ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

6 minutes ago, popeye the sailor said:

huff'in and puff'in to catch up!    what an ambitious project you have going on here.........I look at the shape of the hull and right away,  I think James Bond! :)  I'll just take any seat.......no matter where you sit...it's ringside  ;) 

Hey Denis

Thanks and welcome to the party.  I have a feeling that this party may be a rollercoaster of ups and downs, and twists and curves.  Who said boat building wasn't meant to be fun?

Also, I reckon you've hit the nail on the head with your James Bond comment!  Even 007 would be proud to own this baby.

Have a great week.

Cheers

Patrick

it will be.........until you see the direction it wants to go in  ;)   I think your going to like where that hull takes you .

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Hi folks

Oh my lord!!!!  I’ve done it!  Well, at least the general shape of Genesis’ hull has been done (and that was by and large the biggest headache for me, what with her crazy mixture of complex curves and hard chines...).

3FD3D00F-9199-4D2F-B415-B0C36CF57C7A.thumb.jpeg.86f50dc491e73f9d183f8e43c8b20cec.jpeg

Now, I’m going to concentrate on fine tuning, puttying and sanding the hull, to bring out the true beauty of this unique design.

E3032B38-90F1-4C6D-9F34-BAA4D92DC183.thumb.jpeg.b51cf0cd3c8909e050cc5e911671d806.jpeg

C9D29196-51DE-48AF-A7BC-F89B1D801FB9.thumb.jpeg.4b78496f62334461e4ef64691c7b4cda.jpeg9E9C80DB-2B09-4D0F-8373-CB420AE90980.thumb.jpeg.59035a824dca7e16ad223afc4128d964.jpeg5CE6ADD2-E705-4EA9-BB94-90AFAAC4FD77.thumb.jpeg.0f198041af06d655a83060259b7c072d.jpeg7BC11592-F3ED-4919-BC06-2E0304ADA5B0.thumb.jpeg.83bbb0d70319f5754c4aff37cfe7073e.jpegLots of work still to go, but I hope you’ll still come along for the ride.

Thanks to all for your comments and Likes.  Much appreciated.  

Cheers. 

Patrick

37 minutes ago, IgorSky said:

WOW! You started new project!!! My congratulations. Patrick!

Hi Igor 

Thanks!  I was itching to get “Shadow” finished so that I could start this boat.  Now that I’ve started, it’s been full steam ahead this week.

Have a great weekend.  

Cheers. 

Patrick

Edited by Omega1234

Looks great, Patrick! Very impressive! I think you’ve captured the essence of that hull wonderfully. 

~ Ben

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

Current Builds:

'Doll-Boat' - 1:12 scale 40' Cruising Sailboat

S.S. Edmund Fitzgerald - 1:350 plastic kit w/ Photo Etch Parts (On Hold)