Genesis by Omega1234 - 1/300 - 49m Mega Yacht - 8 inches long - Finished

It is certainly coming along Patrick, no easy task capturing the very many curves and recesses! 

You are gluing plastic, paper, styrene and wood together and some times the contact area is tiny, is it CA glue you are using?

Vaddoc

5 hours ago, vaddoc said:

It is certainly coming along Patrick, no easy task capturing the very many curves and recesses! 

You are gluing plastic, paper, styrene and wood together and some times the contact area is tiny, is it CA glue you are using?

Vaddoc

Hi Vaddoc

Yes. CA glue is what I use almost exclusively, because it’s quick drying and non-messy. 

Do you you have an alternative idea?

Thanks 

Patrick

Not really Patrick. For some reason CA never worked for me so bonding dissimilar material is a headache. I sometimes use epoxy as good surface mating is not essential but it is messy and does not work very well. I have a feeling I ve been using the wrong CA glue, too fluid and too cheap!

I think next I ll try a combination of gell CA with an activator to set it in seconds. I need to remember not to scratch my eyelids when gluing...😀

Vaddoc,

There are quite a few brands on the market, I like BSI insta-cure (fast) and insta-cure+, which is slightly thicker, they also have a gell. Most use Zap or Zap A Gap. Both brands can be get in the UK (I order mine in the UK as well) You'd probably are best off with either Zap-A-Gap or BSI insta-cure+ for what you need it for, though they dry somewhat slower than the other two, they fill in the irregularities.

HTH

Cheers

Edited by cog

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

2 hours ago, cog said:

Vaddoc,

There are quite a few brands on the market, I like BSI insta-cure (fast) and insta-cure+, which isslightly thicker, they also have a gell. Most use Zap or Zap A Gap. Both brands can be get in the UK (I order mine in the UK as well) You'd probably are best off with either Zap-A-Gap or BSI insta-cure+ for what you need it for, though they dry somewhat slower than the other two, the fill in the irregularities.

HTH

Cheers

2 hours ago, vaddoc said:

Not really Patrick. For some reason CA never worked for me so bonding dissimilar material is a headache. I sometimes use epoxy as good surface mating is not essential but it is messy and does not work very well. I have a feeling I ve been using the wrong CA glue, too fluid and too cheap!

I think next I ll try a combination of gell CA with an activator to set it in seconds. I need to remember not to scratch my eyelids when gluing...😀

Hi Vaddock and Carl

Thanks for the advice and comments.

I tend to use two types for my boats. The first is the Gel type, which is perfect for quick jobs as it’s thick, has a longer drying time and allows for final adjustments to be made.

The second type is the runny Zap A, which I use exclusively for flooding and saturating the wood, or cardboard; thereby making the surface super strong. Perfect for my teeny tiny work. 

Cheers

Patrick

• 2 weeks later...

you've made some really nice progress since I last checked in Patrick.  the comparison shots with the pictures are especially nice........the resemblance to the actual vessel is uncanny!  looking really super!  :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

On 9/29/2018 at 1:58 AM, popeye the sailor said:

you've made some really nice progress since I last checked in Patrick.  the comparison shots with the pictures are especially nice........the resemblance to the actual vessel is uncanny!  looking really super!  :) 

Many thanks, Denis.

I gotta admit, building this hull and superstructure has been one heck of a challenge...but, what’s life without a few challenges here and there?

Have a great weekend.

Cheers. 

Patrick

• 2 weeks later...

Hi folks!

Thanks for all the positive reactions and comments to Genesis’ construction journey so far.  Much appreciated as always!

This latest update shows that I’ve been adding more detail to the large settees on the aft main deck, as well as bit more furniture on the aft of the Sun Deck.  

Also, as a homage to the real ship that Genesis is based upon, Khalilah, I’ve added gold card to the main deck house and other assorted areas of the superstructure, in order to bring some contrast to the black superstructure.

I hope you enjoy these photos.

Have a great weekend!

Cheers. 

Patrick

375D2B4B-B85A-450A-956E-DC1DE476FAA7.jpeg

B9D74D04-98E1-4CB1-9E49-802B1C78A52B.jpeg

340604E2-03D0-4553-9A45-4F189BB93C58.jpeg

B72FBB92-7807-4A6E-A42A-2EB83A50A533.jpeg

3BFCEF3B-D25B-4670-992D-787B4681C023.jpeg

063CE599-56C8-48AE-9F81-B38A00D3E37D.jpeg

Hi Patrick

Just checking in after a prolonged absence and very impressed with the progress on Genesis.  Bravo!

ohhhhh.....so now your throwing PE into your projects.........well played orange!  ;)   very nice progress since I last looked in...........look'in my-t-fine!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

12 hours ago, popeye the sailor said:

ohhhhh.....so now your throwing PE into your projects.........well played orange!  ;)   very nice progress since I last looked in...........look'in my-t-fine!

Hi Denis

Many thanks!  Much appreciated.  

Not quite PE, though...just some gold card stock which really looks the part.

All the best.  

Cheers. 

Patrick

• 3 weeks later...

Catching up a bit Patrick, my goodness you are able to pack a lot of detail into these small boats. The style of this one isn't really my cup of tea but you are doing a fantastic job of a very complicated yacht.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

To the King of Itty bitty scale:

Impressive, a fine job of putting it all together and the curves on that ship are cool. 

Marcus 

Current Built: Zeehaen 1639, Dutch Fluit from Dutch explorer Abel J. Tasman

Unofficial motto of the VOC: "God is good, but trade is better"

Many people believe that Captain J. Cook discovered Australia in 1770. They tend to forget that Dutch mariner Willem Janszoon landed on Australia’s northern coast in 1606. Cook never even sighted the coast of Western Australia).

On 11/8/2018 at 8:30 AM, canoe21 said:

Hello Patrick

Well, I have finally crawled out of my little corner the Old Ship Yard and started to look around the MSW Form. You never fail to amaze me with your very fine detail along with all of those great ideas that you are adding to your Genesis, seeming so effortless. Great job as she sure is looking supper, ENJOY.                                                            Regards   Lawrence

Hi Lawrence!  Thanks for the mighty fine compliments.  Greatly appreciated.  I got to admit that I’ve been a bit absent lately on MSW.  Work is getting in the way and I’ve just been too tired to get on and look at everyone’s logs, yours included.  Hopefully, that change one day soon.

On 11/8/2018 at 1:51 PM, michael mott said:

Catching up a bit Patrick, my goodness you are able to pack a lot of detail into these small boats. The style of this one isn't really my cup of tea but you are doing a fantastic job of a very complicated yacht.

Michael

Hi “Michael.  Thanks for dropping by.  Great to hear from you!  I understand exactly what you mean about the design of this boat ‘not being your ‘cup of tea’.  To be honest, it wasn’t my cup of tea either until about six months ago when I started this boat.  Having said that, this is a design that challenges one’s perception of beauty and is about as challenging to build as one can imagine.  Needless to say, once I got started, it has really captured my imagination.  

On 11/9/2018 at 7:16 AM, flying_dutchman2 said:

To the King of Itty bitty scale:

Impressive, a fine job of putting it all together and the curves on that ship are cool. 

Marcus 

Thanks Marcus!!!  I gotta admit that I kinda like that title...”King of Itty Bitty Scale’...hehehe.  Not quite sure that I deserve it though.  Thanks also about your comment about the ‘curves on the ship’.  I definitely agree, as well.  This is a design which is both challenging and thought provoking at the same time.  It certainly is a captivating design. 

Have a great weekend, everyone!

Cheers. 

Patrick

Hi Patrick,

with all those cool curves she`s  coming along very nicely, hope you never loose the orientation with all those lines.....😉

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

12 minutes ago, Mirabell61 said:

Hi Patrick,

with all those cool curves she`s  coming along very nicely, hope you never loose the orientation with all those lines.....😉

Nils

Hi Nils

Thanks!  ...with all those cool curves....Nils, I can’t tell you how many times I’ve lost track of them so far.  Sometimes this design really ‘does my head in!’  It’s certainly challenging, that’s for sure.

Have a great weekend.

Cheers

Patrick

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone!

Genesis is looking a bit more grown-up, especially now that I’ve managed to temporarily fit her radar domes and main antenna. I reckon they don’t look too bad. 

I’ve also been playing a lot with Genesis’ interior accommodations, particularly her lower deck. 

While overall, progress has been slow, at least she’s getting there. 

Have a great weekend!

Cheers. 

Patrick

DA02F071-79FE-4271-A3FD-C08BF8CE4B2B.jpeg

236601C5-1980-4C12-9BD7-D51FAB605364.jpeg

B9A14F69-C4A6-413E-9846-3237BEB3AF28.jpeg

54197190-96E2-4612-88E1-B7098CD36AC0.jpeg

0DA99FEE-EB37-4847-9353-99CCB5F08CAA.jpeg

F70A289E-9E33-4395-A94C-FA0C65AD91F0.jpeg

931ADCD9-9E42-4FE1-B335-56689DC105C8.jpeg

5C731E4A-BEFC-4FE5-8186-396D8CF2C8F3.jpeg

Edited by Omega1234

That does resemble something like a Star Destroyer from Star Wars.  I wonder if that was the intention or influence?  Nice work all around her, Patrick.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

5 hours ago, mtaylor said:

That does resemble something like a Star Destroyer from Star Wars.  I wonder if that was the intention or influence?  Nice work all around her, Patrick.

Hi Mark - you know...I wondered that very question, as well.  Very futuristic and very ‘Star Wars’ inspired, indeed.  Thanks for looking in!

40 minutes ago, cog said:

As Mark wrote, it is becoming quite futuristic ... very nice lines that way ... good to see you back at her

Hi Carl.  Thanks!  It’s certainly great to be back working on Genesis, as well.  I agree that her lines are, indeed, futuristic.  I mean, just think how talented the guys at Palmer and Johnson must be to have designed her in the first place.  Quite the imaginative talent, that’s for sure!

Thanks guys!

Cheers. 

Patrick

she's look'in really sweet Patrick.........quite a maze you'v got going on.    you've probably heard this question before.......have you though about adding figures to your projects?

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

4 hours ago, popeye the sailor said:

she's look'in really sweet Patrick.........quite a maze you'v got going on.    you've probably heard this question before.......have you though about adding figures to your projects?

Hi Denis

Many thanks.  I’ve been tempted to add figures, but I’ve always been scared that they’d turn out to be ridiculous looking blobs of nothing...such is my ability to do such things!

Oh well...

Cheers. 

Patrick

Hi folks

Thanks for all of your Likes and Comments.  Much appreciated!

A quick update and close-up photos of Genesis’ main saloon.  Principally, she now sports a cocktail bar (port side) and writing desk (starboard side).  Furthermore, a large white sofa has been added to her eclectic selection of furnishings.

I’ve also included a few photos of the Owner’s suite, which has a large king sized bed as well as other assorted furnishings.

I hope you enjoy these photos.

Have a great week!

Cheers

Patrick

3B493702-FB7C-4476-B689-89012C126306.jpeg

25819C8B-9450-43EF-A675-30370E8478F1.jpeg

BF0A0DB8-E5D3-40BD-B836-5CFFC22F8539.jpeg

F141B932-C129-430D-9BF3-9227B7B02B7B.jpeg

30FE3A0E-D651-4948-9381-9846F53FC176.jpeg

25BBFEA9-A445-477B-B719-A4094890EF31.jpeg

C9E8D937-583A-48E4-9AEB-47891D755B72.jpeg

50CA5736-611A-407B-82B8-29F9EA95A538.jpeg

233E3E55-C8F0-45D3-9001-1EAAD8CD44F7.jpeg

That's actually a giant hand, right?   So much detail in such a tiny space.. unbelievable.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Nice work Patrick, she looks fabulous!  Even though we know it is a 'micro' build, it is not until you show her in your 'giant' hand :) that we can visualize just how small these furnishings (and the model) are.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

15 hours ago, BANYAN said:

Nice work Patrick, she looks fabulous!  Even though we know it is a 'micro' build, it is not until you show her in your 'giant' hand :) that we can visualize just how small these furnishings (and the model) are.

cheers

Pat

17 hours ago, mtaylor said:

That's actually a giant hand, right?   So much detail in such a tiny space.. unbelievable.

Thanks Mark and Pat

I’m not admitting to having a giant hand at all....even though they come in very handy sometimes 😂😂😂

Thanks!

Cheers

Patrick