rigid ratlines

While researching the whaling bark Wanderer, I found that the ratlines were actually bars made from wood or metal. (not sure which but several other whalers were also outfitted with this feature)  You can see them in the circled area of the photo below that they were attached to the face of the shrouds, but I was also unable to determine exactly how they were lashed in place.  This is another detail that most contemporary models or plans of this ship do not show.  (including the Aurora kit and the A.J. Fisher blueprints)   

5adcc7e98ca68_wandererrigging.thumb.jpg.4221cb17a08ac3c26d1f0e201e7a318b.jpg

If they were just tied in place, what would keep the ratline bars and the shrouds from shifting sideways?  Did they have some kind of notch or pin in the ratline bar to give them better purchase to keep them secured, or would the lashing alone be enough?  Does any one else have any suggestions?  :huh:

By the way this photo was taken from Whale Ships and Whaling by Albert Cook Church, and it is a real good source of info and photos on this ship and several other famous whalers, (including the Charles W. Morgan) if anyone else is interested in modeling this type of ship.  :D

Edited by BETAQDAVE
spelling

Dave

“You’ve just got to know your limitations”  Dirty Harry

Current Builds:  Modified MS 1/8” scale Phantom, and modified plastic/wood hybrid of Aurora 1:87 scale whaling bark Wanderer.

Past Builds: (Done & sold) 1/8” scale A.J. Fisher 2 mast schooner Challenge, 1/6” scale scratch built whaler Wanderer w/ plans & fittings from A.J. Fisher, and numerous plastic kits including 1/8” scale Revell U.S.S. Constitution (twice), Cutty Sark, and Mayflower.

(Done & in dry dock) Modified 1/8” scale Revell U.S.S. Constitution w/ wooden deck and masting [too close encounter w/conc. floor in move]

Hope to get to builds: MS 3/16” scale Pride of Baltimore II,  MS 1/2” scale pinky schooner Glad Tidings,  a scratch build 3/16” scale  Phantom, and a scratch build 3/16" scale Denis Sullivan.

Here are two examples from real ships. The first is from the whaleship Morgan at Mystic Seaport. The second is fishing schooner. As you can see, they're just lashed in place.

Cheers -

John

DSCF6990.jpg

DSCF7197.jpg

When a lashing is applied correctly, there is no need for pins or notches.  Lashing techniques were developed specifically to connect dissimilar items in various configurations as an expedient repair or build.

I suspect that one reason that rigid ratlines were less commonly used relates to the loss of "flexibility" and adjustability for the shrouds.  With rope ratlines, they flex with the shroud and allow shroud adjustment without necessitating re-lashing each ratline.  A rigid ratline would apply additional twisting stress to the remsining shrouds were one adjusted.

When considering the use in the whaling fleet, is it perhaps because of the smaller crew (need to get up and down a mast quickliy to also serve the other mast or lines on deck) and/or use as work platforms when processing whales?

Two final considerations.  First, use of wood vs rope ratlines brings with it increased weight in the upoerworks, impacting stability in a detrimental manner.

Second, and then I will shut up, applies prinsipally to war ships.  Rigid ratlines would be more vulnerable to damage, potentially affecting the shrouds, but also impacting the ability of the crew to serve the mast.  Also, more shrapnel. 

Of course, I have no documentation, just a combination of 50 years is Scouting (knowledge of lashing) and an interest in traditional approaches to ship stability.

Wayne

Neither should a ship rely on one small anchor, nor should life rest on a single hope.
Epictetus

Here’s some photos of me bending on some rat boards on Wavertree two years ago. Note I’m using a Heaver to put each turn on bar tight. This lashing is called a Square Lashing. The wood was, I think, white oak. The lashing material is tarred Marline  and as the heaver is applied it’s easy to break the marlin, but if you put it on Just Right the tar will start to squeez out of the fibers. That’s when the turn is on tight enough. When the seizing is complete, that ratboard isn’t going ANYWHERE.

45E729A6-C7B8-44DD-AEDD-6DC665F8E0DD.png

A4EBC159-C425-4EED-8578-E9FE2CA67975.png

A2519F57-22B6-460A-B0AD-DE6CB6AF77E0.png

Niagara USS Constitution 

Hi Dave,

Take a look at the Charles W. Morgan build log by Spargo. He shows an excellent method for lashing the bars to the shrouds on a model.

David

Current Build - St. Roch, Billing Boats; HMS Agamemnon, Caldercraft (on hold)

Previous Builds - Armed Virginia Sloop, Model Shipways; Constitution, Model Shipways; Rattlesnake, Mamoli; Virginia Privateer, Marine Model Co, restoration; Prince de Neufchatel, Model Shipways; Charles W. Morgan, Model Shipways; Pride of Baltimore II, Model Shipways, Bluenose, Model Shipways (x2); Niagara, Model Shipways; Mayfower, Model Shipways; Shamrock V, Amati; HMS Pegasus, Victory/Amati

Thanks a lot for all the comments guys.  This is one of the great things about this forum, many different views on just about any facet of ships, be it models or full size ships!  I figured that someone here would be able to come up some answers, or at least where to look for them. :dancetl6:

Dave

“You’ve just got to know your limitations”  Dirty Harry

Current Builds:  Modified MS 1/8” scale Phantom, and modified plastic/wood hybrid of Aurora 1:87 scale whaling bark Wanderer.

Past Builds: (Done & sold) 1/8” scale A.J. Fisher 2 mast schooner Challenge, 1/6” scale scratch built whaler Wanderer w/ plans & fittings from A.J. Fisher, and numerous plastic kits including 1/8” scale Revell U.S.S. Constitution (twice), Cutty Sark, and Mayflower.

(Done & in dry dock) Modified 1/8” scale Revell U.S.S. Constitution w/ wooden deck and masting [too close encounter w/conc. floor in move]

Hope to get to builds: MS 3/16” scale Pride of Baltimore II,  MS 1/2” scale pinky schooner Glad Tidings,  a scratch build 3/16” scale  Phantom, and a scratch build 3/16" scale Denis Sullivan.

I believe that most sailors working in the tops were barefoot so would the rope ratlines be better for them? 

Wood ratlines on a warship where the shrouds might need repair under battle conditions would probably be more of

a of a workload (PIA) then the conventional ratlines. JMHO

Cheers, Harley

Cheers, Harley<p 

Under Construction:       USS Curtis Wilbur DDG-54 1/200 by ILoveKit

Completed:                     F-35A 1/48 by Tamiya

USS Atlanta CL-51 1/350 by Very Fire 

Liberty Ship John W. Brown 1/350 by Trumpeter

HMS Spiraea K-08 1/350 

USS Arizona BB-39 1/200 by Trumpeter/Mk1 Design

HMS Sir Gareth 1/350 by Starling Models

USS Missouri BB-63 1945 1/350 by Joy-Yard, 9/11/21

USS Indianapolis CA-35 1945 1/350 by Trumpeter

USS Kidd DD-661, 1945, 1/350, on The Sullivans kit by Trumpeter

USS Alaska CB-1, 1/350, Hobby Boss, Circa 2/1945

Brig Syren 1/64 Model Shipways, Wood

Started,On Hold:     Frigate Confederacy 1/64 Model Shipways, Wood

I believe that wooden battens were used on ship operating in polar waters mainly. A wet, frozen ratline could break easily. Sailors would not be barefoot under those conditions, but would be wearing seaboots, which would exert heavy wear on rope ratlines.

wefalck

panta rhei - Everything is in flux

M-et-M-72.jpg  Banner-AKHS-72.jpg  Banner-AAMM-72.jpg  ImagoOrbis-72.jpg