King George V by kpnuts (title edited by moderator) - Tamiya - 1/350

• 2 weeks later...

Whew! That is a lot of very tiny details. They are making an incredibly intricate and interesting model that will be one of those that people will constantly find something new to look at every time they view her. 

"A Smooth Sea NEVER made a Skilled Sailor"
- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Current Builds - Royal Louis - Mamoli

Royal Caroline - Panart

Completed - Wood - Le Soleil Royal - Sergal - Build Log & Gallery

La Couronne - Corel - Build Log & Gallery

Rattlesnake - Model Shipways, HMS Bounty - Constructo

Plastic - USS Constitution - Revel (twice), Cutty Sark.

Unfinished - Plastic - HMS Victory - Heller, Sea Witch.

Member : Nautical Research Guild

• 3 weeks later...

Bit of a catastrophe on this one missus knocked one of the sub assemblies off the bench, i can't find the pe range finder also can't find the bit the crane is held between on the 2 bits that both broke off to say I'm annoyed is an understatement, i was going to try and finish the Oerlikons this weekend, also some of the pe mast stuff is missing or bent (hopefully I can straighten that out.

IMG-20181124-4358.jpg
IMG-20181124-27682.jpg
IMG-20181124-36193.jpg

Not sure what else is missing I'm hoping anything else won't notice.

Ouch!! I think we all have been there at one time or many. I hope you can find everything and fix what is broken. More than likely, you will be the only one to know that the parts are missing. Normally I would encourage trying to rebuild them but, with as tiny and detailed as those PE pieces are, I wouldn't even know where to begin!

- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Royal Caroline - Panart

So did she blame you for storing it on your work bench?

I think that the gun director can be bought on an a smaller fret through Toms Modelworks for possibly not to much money. I'm not too certain about the other crane parts as I am not too certain what is missing. Could you scratch build them?

Another possibility is that possibly someone like OC or someone else who has built a similar British ship might have something in their spare box that they could send your way. 

Wish you luck in either finding them or being able to replace them.

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

My missus is awesome and allows me to mess her livingroom up without complaining so how can i say anything, and she was very upset and was obviously expecting me to explode (which I didnt) let's just say I know a good thing when I see it. How many of you can say you've spilt glue or paint on the living room floor and just got a raised eyebrow for it (mind you she can make a raised eyebrow very scary)

My Missus is pretty much the same, (Except at this time of the year when we have to pretend we have a clean house for company) but there was an incident a few years ago that kind of touched me off.

My Grandson became interested in assembling and painting wargame figures. I jumped with joy and set him up a workstation right next to mine and even made a holder that was designed to hold the glue bottle and paint bottles so that it would take a MAJOR effort to spill them. He was really doing pretty well and remembering to replace the lids and stuff like that so I started letting him paint even when I wasn't there also. A few weeks later I went to grab my favorite jacket that was on the back of my work chair and found dried orange paint all down one arm. There was more on the floor and to top it off even more on a china cupboard three feet away! It appeared that he had forgotten to tighten the lid and when he went to shake the jar of paint it came off with the expected results. It would not have been a big deal as the paint was Acrylic and could have been cleaned up pretty easily but he didn't say anything and by the time I discovered it the paint had been dry for several days!

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

13 minutes ago, lmagna said:

My Missus is pretty much the same, (Except at this time of the year when we have to pretend we have a clean house for company) but there was an incident a few years ago that kind of touched me off.

My Grandson became interested in assembling and painting wargame figures. I jumped with joy and set him up a workstation right next to mine and even made a holder that was designed to hold the glue bottle and paint bottles so that it would take a MAJOR effort to spill them. He was really doing pretty well and remembering to replace the lids and stuff like that so I started letting him paint even when I wasn't there also. A few weeks later I went to grab my favorite jacket that was on the back of my work chair and found dried orange paint all down one arm. There was more on the floor and to top it off even more on a china cupboard three feet away! It appeared that he had forgotten to tighten the lid and when he went to shake the jar of paint it came off with the expected results. It would not have been a big deal as the paint was Acrylic and could have been cleaned up pretty easily but he didn't say anything and by the time I discovered it the paint had been dry for several days!

I had a few of those days as a kid trying to build and paint my first models  - my late farther was less than understanding though, normally got a right  back hand for it.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

I don't need to touch either of my kids. They KNOW when I'm upset with them and don't like it at all. All I did with my youngest the other night was raise my voice about him not eating his dinner and he started to cry. I felt  pretty bad because it was just dinner and it is pretty clear that he is not malnourished or anything. He's skinny but healthy. 

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

sorry to hear of the mishap KP.........hopefully you'll be able to get 'er back up to muster.   I've had a few of these myself.......it's not fun :unsure:

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

• 1 month later...

Hi all well I finally got some modelling time and I've fixed what I can and I've now glued the sub assy's to the deck (I know it will make adding further pe problematical but I figure the whole ship will have to be knocked off the bench to damage bits in the future)

IMG-20190104-42774.jpg
IMG-20190104-49529.jpg
IMG-20190104-14141.jpg
IMG-20190104-30207.jpg

So now I have about a gazillion bits of PE to add to the  Oerlikons, then all the railings, build and add the last set of pompoms to the stern big guns, add the pe to those guns and the job should be a goodun.

Looking super  - very detailed and tidy work.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

I see you got her back in shape........I knew you could  ;)   looks none the worse for wear my friend!   hope you had a great holiday!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Hi all well all the Oerlikons are finally done as is the last of the pompoms (I accidentally stuck the shields on the wrong way round on the first of this set of Oerlikons and thought the brass showed up better so I've done all the rest the wrong way round (if you use the etched detail side you can hardly notice the pe)(here's a challenge try to find the ones with the pe the right way round they hardly notice) 

IMG-20190109-1158.jpg
IMG-20190109-59397.jpg
IMG-20190109-496.jpg
IMG-20190109-16168.jpg

looks good KP.........good that your still finding table time {or is that couch time} ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Oh how I wish I hadn't glued the sub assy's on putting the railings around them is proving to be a royal pita, I've even tried prying them off (why is it that you really glue something well and it falls off if you sneeze, you just tack something and it's stuck fast) grrrrrrrrr I think I've just made this a million times harder, i should not have got paranoid that the sub assy's would get knocked to the floor again.

I hit the like button KP but my heart still goes out to you. When everything is so small the LAST thing you want is to make things harder!

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Like lou said  - the best way to work at such small scales is to take it in tiny steps,   I had to do that often with my Warpy build (hence why it took years to finish)   kind of recharges your batteries for the next go.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

KP,  it appears that Murphy has decided to come visit you.  Which probably explains the glue being "too good".   

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all here is the best tip you will ever get, never ever glue the sub assy's to the deck if you're using pe this piece of pe took 2 hrs and ive left a piece out as I see no way of bending it and getting it in place (tbh it's so small even if I added it I doubt it would show anyway) 

IMG-20190209-37390.jpg
IMG-20190209-44603.jpg
IMG-20190209-51233.jpg

Once again DO NOT GLUE SUB ASSYS TO THE DECK IF USING PE.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all that's all the PE attached just the rigging to do now (not looking forward to that) I say all the PE there are some steps and platforms to add to the sides but I will add them after it's on a stand as I already broke the platform off the one set of stairs which I added and lost the platform for them, i figure it will be safer to leave them till last.

IMG-20190221-8512.jpg
IMG-20190221-13504.jpg
IMG-20190221-46560.jpg
IMG-20190221-51780.jpg
IMG-20190221-57579.jpg
IMG-20190221-2828.jpg
IMG-20190221-56666.jpg
IMG-20190221-12661.jpg
IMG-20190221-33940.jpg
IMG-20190221-20944.jpg

All of those PE parts are a pain to install I'm sure , but WOW!! They sure do make a model come to life in a breathtaking way. Well done!

- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Royal Caroline - Panart

Very nice and well done. Another ship off to the fleet.

What is next in the shipyard?

- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Royal Caroline - Panart