HM Schooner Pickle by Peter Y. - Caldercraft - Scale 1:64 - First ever ship build

@SpyGlass Believe me, I've thought long and hard about whether I should just varnish the damn thing but ultimately decided to go with painting and copper plating - I even ordered some Amati plates because of their slightly more realistic look. I've read your log in great detail before starting mine - just like every other Pickle log on this site (I think there's a dozen of them) and I was very impressed with your craftsmanship. That first planking is definitely better than mine!

I'm actually surprised by how well it turned out:

IMG_0175.thumb.JPG.05e419ebe6f9cb168e820d51e3aa6527.JPG

As you can see I also marked the waterline and filled some of the imperfections (note that the waterline on the photo below doesn't appear straight because I tilted the phone when taking the picture):

IMG_0176.thumb.JPG.d1ddb83a8a936b2fcf789cd4c1dbb96f.JPG

'Waterline Tool 5000' (as seen on TV) 😉:

IMG_0174.thumb.JPG.83c96aaf91faf3308cd306b96e5536d5.JPG

Up next - outer bulwark painting.

Edited by Peter Y.

3 hours ago, SpyGlass said:

Query - I am sure its just the picture angle - but she looks a tad bow high - did you use the little spacer thing ( part 14 waterline jig) to level the vessel?

Yup. I've used it for the picture below. I made sure that the angle is right before taking the photo and also added a nice red line so it's easier to see that it's level:

IMG_0182.thumb.JPG.6e243f04f24624ee1f91d02c8b86756a.JPG

As seen above, the outer bulwarks have their first coat of 'Yellow Ochre'. 2nd layer tomorrow.

Minor update. Bulwarks painting completed, black bits got their first layer:

IMG_0185.thumb.JPG.09924c67caed88cdaa7e4d1dea99ecbe.JPG

I also did the companion:

IMG_0184.thumb.JPG.a0a8f488f3d5b6fbffc7376800607675.JPG

Next steps will be completing the hull painting (obviously) and then doing the capping rails.

Hull painting completed:

IMG_0190.thumb.JPG.f13962f348a24ce91c6a538ecadb5277.JPG

IMG_0191.thumb.JPG.84026a1db9f52517f13dabcd6f3542c4.JPG

IMG_0192.thumb.JPG.ce1f9e42602290b4d275315dfa741f34.JPG

As you can see I was a bit sloppy with the stern ports so they'll require a bit of detailing.

I guess it's time for the copper plating. - The capping rails that I mentioned earlier will be fitted after I'm done with it. Not sure yet which glue to use.

I think that you have done a lovely job so far your hull looks great.  As for the capping rails I always like to use wood/aliphatic resin when I can as its so strong and wipes away so easily too.  If your issue is gluing through the paint; just remove the paint on the glued surfaces and its job done.  Keep the updates coming. 

@No Idea I'm glad you like it. Thanks for the great advice!

I've started the copper plating yesterday and man... This is definitely the most challenging bit yet - at least for a newbie. A very slow process and one that requires a lot of precision.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Peter,

Great build and photos. Looking forward to getting back to my Pickle this winter (I tend to stay outdoors during the summer months).

Enjoyed your deck photograph of Pickle in an earlier post. So now I need to find a piece of rag to drape over the sheets for that real authentic look!!

Quick question though. Did you happen to take any photos and/or notes about the exact fixtures and fittings positions for all the jibs/foresails? So not just the uphaul and downhauls but also the tie-off points for the jibs/foresails when they are in use.

Many thanks

Best wishes from a fellow Pickler!!