HMS Victory by Barbara Lange and Dad - Scale 1:38

Should I be anywhere near München.... unlikely, but thank you so much for the invitation. Your model would certainly be well worth seeing!

Edited by druxey

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

Bonjour Barbara,

Très belle réalisation. Ayant fait ce navire au 1 / 64e, j'ai une attention particulière pour les autres réalisations des modélistes qui le font aussi. 

Pour Albert (isalbert), j'ai réalisé les petits seaux avec le mini tour à bois dans le poirier et les fils de garde-corps avec le fil de gant et les gabarits sur papier quadrillé 5x5mm et réduits en pourcentage sur l'imprimante. Puis avec une petite planche et un petit Spike, j'ai fait les filets en nouant chaque mèche de fil (un peu comme pour les fissures des haubans). Félicitations pour ce modèle.

Amicalement

20180505_152741.jpg

Edited by GRAVIOU Francis
Photos

Hello Barbara and Dad,

What a fabulous model your dad has built, and it's great to see that you've now got your hands on the rigging!

I've just seen the news and there are ship modellers at airports all over the world trying to get tickets to Munich!

Oh, and we need to see many more photos!

Edited by Bluto 1790

Jim.

I cut it twice . . . . . and it's still too short!

HMS Leopard 1790; scratch build 1:80 PoB

Cross Section - HMS Leopard 1790 - 1:44         

Today was odd. I am waiting for Dad to make the dividers of the parrals. He is willing but I had the impression he had no idea of how to go about it. I had him show me the router and how it works, hoping that would help him remember.  It did in a way. But then he decided he wanted to make the blade himself. Fine, I thought. No. Not fine. At one point he asked me what he was doing here at all. "A blade for the router so you can shape the wood before you start slicing it. We need parrals." - "Oh, yes, right. I forgot." So I sort of talked him through the process of making the blade.  Tonight he wants to sharpen and then harden it. Progress is slow. I am sorry to bore you with stories of dimentia. But the thing I have learned in this journey is: 

- get a hobby early

- show your kids what you are doing, what kind of tools you use and how they work. 

He is happy when he is working on the ship,  it gives him something to do and makes things much easier for my mom.

Progress is S.L.O.W.  - but who cares? Doctors tell us that the ship is the best medicine he could possibly get. 

Oh - and I sorted the booms today. One ring on the main yard obviously broke off a few years ago. He already made a replacement.  We just need to attach it one of these days. .. 

20180510_115656.jpg

Edited by Barbara Lange

Bless you for your patience with your father, Barbara. It is odd how some things are remembered well, while there are gaps also. However, the work is superb. Please keep posting how things are going. Thank you for sharing both progress and frustrations.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

Hi Barbara,

I'm not able to express how impressed I am with the ship or the amazing attention to detail.  Truly spectacular!!!

I'm also glad that you and your father have the hobby to share with each other.  Your patience and outlook is awesome.

Not that your father needs any help, but should you need help or assistance with the build, this site is full of wonderful people that love to help each other.  My life and model building experience are much richer due to the group here.  Feel free to reach out to other builders of the Victory through their build log or the builder of any log and I'm sure that you will get a great deal of help.  Just posting a question in your build can also generate helpful responses. 

Thank you for sharing this wonderful model and the journey forward.

Best,

Marc

Hi Barbara (and Dad),

I am in awe that you have taken time to spend with your father to work on the "Victory" together.

He has created a wonderful model, a credit to his earlier years and now to continue with your guiding assistance, and now all hands on deck.

Dave R

Measure twice, cut once.

Current Build: HMB Endeavour 1768

(In the shipyard being constructed)

Your dad still has mad skills, as shown by his work on the parrels Barbara. Are you a ship model maker also? If not, it's even more impressive that you are directing the construction of such a complicated model.

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

moderator Echo Cross-section build
Admiralty Models Cross-section Build

Finished build
Pegasus, 1776, cross-section

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

10 hours ago, dvm27 said:

Your dad still has mad skills, as shown by his work on the parrels Barbara. Are you a ship model maker also? If not, it's even more impressive that you are directing the construction of such a complicated model.

Hi Greg,

No, I am not a ship model maker at all. I am a passionate quilter and I dare say I am pretty handy with needle and thread but that is it. But growing up in a household with this ship model being built you cannot help but pick up  one or the other skill. When we started out on this adventure, Dad had to tell me what the fore mast, the main mast and the mizzen mast ist, where to find starboard and port side and so on. I mean the real basics. Now we have intense discussions about how to attach the martingales to the knight head and so on. I am really enjoying the process - but no, I do not believe that I will ever attempt to make a second ship.

What i basically do is read "Anatomy of Nelsons's ship", compare it with John Mc Kays "The 100 Gun Ship Victory", and "Rigging period ship models"  and go from there.

15 hours ago, keelhauled said:

Hi Barbara,

I'm not able to express how impressed I am with the ship or the amazing attention to detail.  Truly spectacular!!!

I'm also glad that you and your father have the hobby to share with each other.  Your patience and outlook is awesome.

Not that your father needs any help, but should you need help or assistance with the build, this site is full of wonderful people that love to help each other.  My life and model building experience are much richer due to the group here.  Feel free to reach out to other builders of the Victory through their build log or the builder of any log and I'm sure that you will get a great deal of help.  Just posting a question in your build can also generate helpful responses. 

Thank you for sharing this wonderful model and the journey forward.

Best,

Marc

HI Marc,
I totally agree with you - finding this site has added so much to our building experience because it gives us the feeling of not being alone on this. We do not know anybody else who bulds model ships. But we know pleanty of people who say:"what, you'e still not finished? You started rigging it 6 months ago!" The internet and this group really add to the quality of this experience.

Barbara I sit in front of this PC and just shake my head at what is going on with you and your dad. It is so bitter-sweet. We have had 2 family members both with early onset of this disease. It was so painful to witness. Simple tasks became stumbling blocks for them. One has to show such patience  and understanding to be a witness no less a participant. Your dad is remarkable as well. Be vigilant in his use of power tools. It is too easy to get in trouble even with modeling tools. God bless.

Joe

• 2 weeks later...

This is shipmodelling at it's best!

What a wonderful and a heartwarming team project.

I've started building a victory in 1/84 scale, what a difference :)

Chris

Current builds :    

On hold :

IJN Yamato by DeAgostini - 1/250

Completed builds :

Bermuda boat Corsair (scratch)

President by Sergal - 1/60

• 4 weeks later...

Dad has been working on the shroud cleats these last few weeks. I had a fair amount of travelling to do and yet to go. So, progress has been even slower than usual  but that's OK.

We had a huge discussion over the cleats.  Longridge is very tight lipped about the size of them and McKay only mentiones the length. Dad wanted to calculate the size of the actual ones from the pictures we took when we were in Portsmouth,  taking the camera angles into account.  That didn't work out too well. So I finally begged him to let artistic freedom rule and go with that.  Ok. Fine.  So he finished the first set with measurements we sort of eyeballed. The second set needed to be thinner. Now he asked me what I thought about the new sizes he had invented, because - hey, this is artistic freedom, right? Now I was the one to be a bit anal about sizes, because I felt that 18" shrouds at the fore mast should be just as long as 18" shrouds at the mizzen mast, even though they are thinner. He in turn argued that that would look awful. I have to mention he is the engineer. I am more the artistic type.  I finally gave in, after a 1/2 hour heated discussion,   thinking 

a) he has more experience in model ship making that I do and so far he did a great job,

b ) threre is no model ship police to my knowledge 

c) and it is his ship after all.

Looking at them now, I think he did a fabulous job. And I learned a lesson. 

They are between 10 and 18 mm long, the thicker ones are 2.5 mm , the others are 1.9 mm. Ebony wood.

Now working on the trucks. Absolutely no information on the size,  or on the number of pieces and only one mentioning of a rope that passes a truck. Back to artistic freedom.  Oh well. We can handle that. 

20180621_110410.jpg

Edited by Barbara Lange

I'm sure that there were variances in cleat design from shipyard to shipyard. (You can always use that as an unanswerable argument!)

Mast trucks had two small sheaves, one on either side, for hoisting signals or flags. They were attached to the mast head with a small square mortise and tenon. Steel describes them as 'an oblate spheroid'!

8 hours ago, druxey said:

I'm sure that there were variances in cleat design from shipyard to shipyard. (You can always use that as an unanswerable argument!)

Mast trucks had two small sheaves, one on either side, for hoisting signals or flags. They were attached to the mast head with a small square mortise and tenon. Steel describes them as 'an oblate spheroid'!

Ok, I'll use that argument  😂

I have not read about mast trucks yet. To me everything is new. I feel like a brand new baby... But I will look for them. The thing is, Dad really likes working on the ship but he cannot figure out anything on his own anymore.  Working on the ropes of the rigging is basically impossible for him, because every rope goes somewhere else. That is too hard to visualise for him. Making the wooden parts is much better, because he can make a design and the process repeats several times. That way he is busy, even when I am not around.  

So I'll look for the mast trucks. All of the blocks and the anchors are finished,  waiting to be attached.