Posted (edited)

Announcing Admiralty Models Fall workshop!

"Constructing the Elements of the Stern"
October 6 to 7, 2018

This workshop, run by David Antscherl and Greg Herbert, will focus on the intricate construction of an 18th century stern. We will provide a 1:48 scale laser-cut kit for you to
assemble ahead of the workshop. At the workshop you will learn how to make card patterns, plan, cut and fit a set of lights (window frames) across the stern, understand the
geometry and construction of quarter galleries as well as interpret contemporary plans.

The cost of the workshop will be $290. This will include the cost of a laser-cut kit sent to you in advance with an instructional guide. The workshop also includes a guide book. We will conduct our workshop in Baltimore, MD on Saturday from 9:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. and on Sunday from 9:30 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.

Previous workshops have filled up fast, so we recommend you register soon as space is limited. Please contact Dr. Greg Herbert at dvm27@comcast.net to guarantee your kit and workshop space. Special hotel rates have been negotiated at the Marriott courtyard, Hunt Valley MD.

5ae68bebf314e_Csterngallery29.5.thumb.jpg.6a623af6b464e7c04d625e33d3c3fb80.jpg

5ae68bf771f7a_Ctafferel26.6.thumb.jpg.c8384f62147806f73544b99e762e68e4.jpg

Edited by dvm27
x

Greg,

Has there been thought (or maybe could you two give thought) to offering these courses as a package for those of us who can't make it?   Maybe parts and some documentation to explain it?  I understand that questions and answers would be a problem or maybe not possible... but... I wish I lived closer.

Wish that were possible, Mark and Lou. The course outline and notes are just a rough guide as to what we are trying to accomplish, but so much of what we offer is hands on learning and individualized instruction. We almost did a West Coast conference a few years ago but the number of participants was just short by a few. IF there is a West Coast club interesting in hosting an Admiralty Models workshop we'd be happy to accomodate them.

Jim, hit Floyd with a PM as he may not see this. 

I'm not sure who are ones to contact south in California.  I think there's still a club in Portland, OR, but I'll have to find out.

Posted (edited)

I'm with Mark would love to do this but obviously to far away, online tutorial maybe way to go as well, especially as I am currently still struggling with my gallery windows😁😁

Or maybe a course this side of the pond??

Regards

Paul

Edited by paulsutcliffe

Like Paul says 

It seems a shame that in this day and age that some kind of online class could not be put together where the students post their pictures for the instructors and other students and the instructors demonstrate and advise the same way. Possibly not as desirable or efficient as doing it in person but possibly better than nothing.  

David Antscherl and I live rather far apart to produce and edit online courses. At one time I believe the NRG was considering offering some online tutorials. Perhaps they are still working out the logistics.

We've just two more openings for participants for our October Admiralty Models workshop in Baltimore. Chuck has done an incredible job translating David Antscherls illustration into a wooden mockup for our participants to assemble ahead of the workshop. Plans are underway for a Saturday evening after dinner speaker. So come join sixteen of your fellow ship model makers for a congenial, low stress, work at your own pace 1 1/2 days workshop on adding the elements of the stern. No, this will not cover  carving - that is another series of workshops unto itself. Details above in first post of this thread.

Greg

Looking forward to this.  I learned so much during the last one (on the headworks) and it was great to meet fellow modelers.

This kit is going to be something special.  I have learned a great deal already putting it all together for David and Greg.  Here is a prototype image of the workshop kit under construction to give you guys an idea.  Its all Yellow cedar and at 1/4" scale.  Remember...the only way to get one is by signing up for the workshop.  Its a lot of fun too!!! :)

stern3.jpg

Wonderful work 

Since an in norway i gress am not going to get this beauteful kit 😂 

But i Hope there wil be postet photo of the prosess 

Svein.erik

Last call for our October Admiralty Models workshop!

We'll be sending out the workshop homework next week. Chuck has done an amazing job producing the workshop kits designed by David. It will be a terrific platform to build upon (and display). We can accommodate one or two more participants if anyone wishes to attend (details at beginning of topic). We also have a special Saturday evening speaker, Don Preul, Curator of the Naval Academy Museum collection so it should be a fun weekend! 

834533652_workshophomeworkmodel.thumb.jpg.94c1c42527f6acc780f391d47bb45b7b.jpg

On 4/30/2018 at 7:36 AM, dvm27 said:

Wish that were possible, Mark and Lou. The course outline and notes are just a rough guide as to what we are trying to accomplish, but so much of what we offer is hands on learning and individualized instruction. We almost did a West Coast conference a few years ago but the number of participants was just short by a few. IF there is a West Coast club interesting in hosting an Admiralty Models workshop we'd be happy to accomodate them.

Floyd Kershner is a member of this board and President of the club in Seattle. He and I have corresponded and His club may be willing to sponsor a workshop. Please PM me your contact data or feel free to contact Floyd directly. I know a bunch of us West Coasters are excited about the possibility of a workshop out here.