gulfmedic1

Phantom first build

Ah, another member of the phantom club! Welcome Gulf!    I used the phantom as  my first build and it was a joy pretty much from beginning to end!!!

That mid-deck step comes in all of the kits just like yours did.  You just need to carefully square it off and clean it up some. You will find that a good deal of your beginning time will be on shaping and working the hull.  There are many ways you can do that step. Some people had great luck with carving bits.  I did mine with the #11 and just sliced vertically then horizontally until I got it squared up rough then sanded it smooth.

To answer your other question: I will double check when I get home but I believe it was 1.5 wide, 3 high.

Good luck and Enjoy it!

-Adam

Skerry

thanks i think the wood that came with it is that size maybe a little trimming will need to be done

Yeah, there is always a little trimming to be done :D

I will confirm that measurement when I get home.  I will also dig up my phantom pics from my old build log and re-post them here (I thought I had done that when the site first came back up but I can't seem to find it - so will chalk it up to really wanting to and thus thinking I did :huh: )

so i am having trouble finding pictures or any history of the phantom, i have tried different ways to search and have not come up with much does anyone know what shipyard this vessel was build in

She was built in East Boston in 1868, designed by Dennison J. Lawler. That is on the kit's box. This jives with what has been written about her by Chapelle and others over the years. Lawler was both a designer and builder and he was based in Boston.

As for photos, I am not sure how many there would be given the early time period. However, the plans should be fairly accurate.

Russ