Beginner Plank on Bulkhead Model

Hello everyone, I am a new member on this forum. I am interested in learning how to build a plank on bulkhead model. All the past models I have built were solid hull models, because I found them to be easier. My question is, what is a good beginner kit for learning plank on bulkhead construction? I was looking at model shipways Brig Niagara. Would this be a good beginner kit? Or is it still a little complicated?

The Model Shipways Syren has the best instruction book on the market. It is a beautiful model when complete and while the Niagra is also beautiful I would go  with the Syren just because of the instruction book. It is written by the designer Chuck Passaro. My 2 cents . And welcome to the forum.

Regards,

Jim Rogers

Damn the Torpedoes , Full speed ahead.   Adm David Farragut.

Hello, watchtinker. The answer to your question depends in some measure on what kinds of vessels you are interested in. There's plenty of suitable beginner-level kits out there, but not all of them will suit your fancy -- or budget.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

Any of the the Midwest Products Level 2 or 3 apprentice kits would be a good choice.  Midwest no longer makes them but they turn up on eBay regularly.  The best are the Flattie, Sharpie Schooner and Skipjack IMHO.  If you want to venture into POF their open boat kits (Peapod, Seabright dory and Boston Whitehall) are a good place to start.  There are several other kits of varying difficulty to check out.

Edited by grsjax

My advice and comments are always worth what you paid for them.

• 3 weeks later...

You might find Caldercraft's Pickle a good one to start with. My first was their Sherbourne, another possible first build. The Pickle's instructions are better, but, honestly, there is a ton of info on this site and YOuTube re: planking that might be better than any instruction bo

Let us know what you decide. Have fun!

Edited by bigcreekdad
modified