Amazing optivisor light

I’ve was trying to figure how to get better lighting for my optivisor. I had the 6 LED lights with the battery pack but it just didn’t cut it. I searched for something that might work. I came across the Nitecore keychain flashlights, the Tube has 45 lumens and is $10. Then I saw the Tip which is 360 Lumens for $30!!!! Why not.  It weighs less than an ounce, the battery has a usb recharger. It has 4 settings which will of course effect charge life. low (1 lumen) 46 hrs, med (35 lumens) 6.5 hrs, high (150 lumens) 1.5 hrs and  TURBO (360 lumens) 30 min.   It’s like aircraft landing lights!!! Yee hah. Piece of velcro and good to go. 

Kurt

B22B334C-17A7-4488-932C-7DC03384499B.jpeg

DEA1D9F9-819F-458C-870F-7E8289DA2C4E.jpeg

0DD27989-A49D-49A0-AAB8-9C9B68794113.jpeg

Edited by Kurt Johnson

Member: Ship Model Society of New Jersey

After checking this out on Amazon, 

there is a 30 sec auto-off option- to save battery.  Your last adventure with the 360 setting 

the short time was likely due to your activating the saver function.

NRG member 45 years

Current:  

HMS Centurion 1732 - 60-gun 4th rate - Navall Timber framing

HMS Beagle 1831 refiit  10-gun brig with a small mizzen - Navall (ish) Timber framing

The U.S. Ex. Ex. 1838-1842
Flying Fish 1838  pilot schooner -  framed - ready for stern timbers
Porpose II  1836  brigantine/brig - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers
Vincennes  1825  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers assembled, need shaping
Peacock  1828  Sloop-of -War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Sea Gull  1838  pilot schooner -  timbers ready for assembly
Relief  1835  ship - timbers ready for assembly

Other

Portsmouth  1843  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Le Commerce de Marseilles  1788   118 cannons - framed

La Renommee 1744 Frigate - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers

I had thought so too, but it seems the 360 is always as a burst regardless. The 150 seems more than enough. The 360 would most likely be too intense at that focal distance. Having the light focused where you are looking with no shadows is really, really nice. I watched several video reviews (of course after I already had it). One reviewer ran it constantly at low, medium and high (150) until it blacked out. The 150 ran over and hour continuously. I don't no how quickly it will recharge, or whether it also one of the issues where its better to run completely down before charging or intermittently partially recharge yet. Maybe some tech type here at MSW would let us know. I'm happy so far.

Kurt

Kurt, 

Do you know what kind of battery it has?   That will make a difference as to whether drain it completely or being able just partial discharge and recharge.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

On 05/05/2018 at 6:49 PM, Kurt Johnson said:

The 150 seems more than enough. The 360 would most likely be too intense at that focal distance. Having the light focused where you are looking with no shadows is really, really nice.

In comparison, I measured in lumen at 1 foot my Xenon light, it can deliver 261 times more light:  91500 lm.

Kurt, knowing what you know about this light now, would you buy it again?

Thanks, Harley

Cheers, Harley<p 

Under Construction:       USS Curtis Wilbur DDG-54 1/200 by ILoveKit

Completed:                     F-35A 1/48 by Tamiya

USS Atlanta CL-51 1/350 by Very Fire 

Liberty Ship John W. Brown 1/350 by Trumpeter

HMS Spiraea K-08 1/350 

USS Arizona BB-39 1/200 by Trumpeter/Mk1 Design

HMS Sir Gareth 1/350 by Starling Models

USS Missouri BB-63 1945 1/350 by Joy-Yard, 9/11/21

USS Indianapolis CA-35 1945 1/350 by Trumpeter

USS Kidd DD-661, 1945, 1/350, on The Sullivans kit by Trumpeter

USS Alaska CB-1, 1/350, Hobby Boss, Circa 2/1945

Brig Syren 1/64 Model Shipways, Wood

Started,On Hold:     Frigate Confederacy 1/64 Model Shipways, Wood

For sure! I am using it with a #2 Optivisor lens. The light is basically weightless, no battery weight. It really is amazing how nice it is to have good illumination without any shadows. I actually could theoretically add a second one and focus them to the same location, but that coulld be a waste of time and money. For me, its like I knocked years off my aging eyeballs. So long and short, yes, (one of those good finds). I hope I don’t have to have a disclaimer and say I haven’t any connection, but I don’t.

Kurt

The size, shape, weight and rechargeable battery were major factors in the search. All this took was a piece of velcro to attach it. The length was the starting factor in fitting on the visor, then I tried to find the brightest that would probably fit. This worked, so I stopped looking. There are probably better solutions, but I’m happy with it (for the moment). Canadian Tire would be about a 10 hour drive, so factoring in the gas it probably wouldn’t be worth it 🙂 .

Kurt

As I explained you yesterday in a private message, your best choice would be a lamp instead (more power for less money).

To my knowledge, the best performing lamps actually are in this category: Studio lighting/ continuous lighting/ LED lights that you can find in Photo stores like BH photo:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?setNs=p_PRICE_2|0&Ns=p_PRICE_2|0&ci=12248&fct=fct_color-temperature-type_4243|daylight-balanced&srtclk=sort&N=3988592074&

With only one of these light, you will be surprise of the power and you will not have to mix 2 or 3 kinds of lights. 

And as a bonus, you will get better photos, white balance included.

No need to drive, Kurt. There's always shopping on the Internet.   Where I am, it's about the only way to get any thing for this hobby, except wood glue, sandpaper, and the like.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Mark, The internet has it’s down side. Just yesterday I drove to this Electronics store near me, a real one that was like an old time hardware store. You could poke around forever, finding this and that. The building was empty, they gave up.  About a year ago, the only real hobby shop in my area closed. That hurt. I use the internet, the UPS guy has become like family now. I’m am Amazon super duper Prime guy. I don’t like EBay that much. I miss going to the store, seeing and feeling what things are like. BS-ing with the people at the stores. That’s life. 

Gaetan, Like I had said to you, I have a number of lights and most likely will be getting a new brighter one. Still like the one on the Optivisor, its always pointing at where I’m glancing. I like tinkering.

I can never figure why some threads will go on for a bit and others die at the get go. Maybe the answer is on the internet.

Kurt

Edited by Kurt Johnson
spelling

Hi Kurt, I just received the little landing light. Looks good. It's all charged up, I'm waiting for the Velcro to set.

Thanks for the heads up.

Cheers, Harley

Nightcore1.jpg.303beaf355da1842672d1fc0b905db5a.jpg

Cheers, Harley<p 

Under Construction:       USS Curtis Wilbur DDG-54 1/200 by ILoveKit

Completed:                     F-35A 1/48 by Tamiya

USS Atlanta CL-51 1/350 by Very Fire 

Liberty Ship John W. Brown 1/350 by Trumpeter

HMS Spiraea K-08 1/350 

USS Arizona BB-39 1/200 by Trumpeter/Mk1 Design

HMS Sir Gareth 1/350 by Starling Models

USS Missouri BB-63 1945 1/350 by Joy-Yard, 9/11/21

USS Indianapolis CA-35 1945 1/350 by Trumpeter

USS Kidd DD-661, 1945, 1/350, on The Sullivans kit by Trumpeter

USS Alaska CB-1, 1/350, Hobby Boss, Circa 2/1945

Brig Syren 1/64 Model Shipways, Wood

Started,On Hold:     Frigate Confederacy 1/64 Model Shipways, Wood