POF Kit

Roandad

Hi all

having completed my Bounty model last year I now want to start a POF model kit where, hopefully, the frame elements are already prepared so I don’t have to spend aeons planning and preparing them. I am looking at a 17th or 18th century ship but clearly limited by what is available, which appears to be  somewhat restricted. Any recommendations out there

tx

Paul

Have a look at Lumberyard for Model Shipwrights. They have some really nice kits. Somewhere in the forum must be a nice build log of their Oneida

Regards Christian

Current build: HM Cutter Alert, 1777; HM Sloop Fly, 1776 - 1/36

On the drawing board: English Ship Sloops Fly, 1776, Comet, 1783 and Aetna, 1776; Naval Cutter Alert, 1777

Paused: HMS Triton, 1771 - 1/48

"Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it." Salvador Dali

Hi Paul, 

When you say "already prepared" what are you meaning?  Cut out?  Fully set up and the frame just needs installing like the bulkheads on a POB?

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I should also add that there's several cross-section type models (not the whole ship, just the center sectin) out there.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thanks all for your responses..

Mark, I guess I am referring to laser cut frame pieces ready to be assembled rather than milled timber for example.

Christian I am looking at the Lumberyard site with interest and seeing if the kits are suitable, so many thanks

regards

Paul

Paul,

Most of the Lumberyard (but not all) are a pile of wood to cut into blanks, assemble, then cut the frames.  As for pre-cut framing... other than the Oneida mentioned and one that Chuck is exploring to make, I'm not sure there any.   Many of the center section kits are however.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

From the Lumberyard you can get the HMS Halifax kit with laser cut frames. There are some great build logs here. I have the kit in pear and it's beautiful. 

The heart is happiest when the head and the hands work together.

Al

Current Builds:

HMS Halifax 1/48 POF Lumberyard Kit

Model Shipways Glad Tidings

Acoustic Guitar Build FINISHED

POF = Plank on Frame (like the actual ships were built.   POB = Plank on Bulkhead which is the way almost all kits are.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Bulkheads are generally solid flat pieces cut to shape; frames are hollow and often built up of several pieces like the real thing.

Look at HMS Winchelsea for an example of the former and a Swan cross-section for an example of the latter.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

No... not really.   The bulkhead (POB) kits usually use plywood or similar and about the only decks to be built are the gun deck and upper decks fore and aft.   Look at Chuck's Winchester (link below) as an example or almost any AL kit as examples.   A POF would be like my Licorne and probably 80% of the scratch builds.  POF more closely resemble actual practice and allow everything below decks to be done.   Other than the Orniada I don't recall any of the Lumberyard's Hahn sets being precut for the frames.   Bob Hunt (Lauck Street Shipyard) did some that fully framed.  I've attached a link for one of those build.  

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Keep in mind that you will see plenty of POF kits from Chinese companies like ZHL.  Because these companies have been known to pirate and steal the hard work of other reputable ship model MFGs, they are banned from this forum.  So please read up on our banned list of pirated MFGs and be aware that we do not allow them on our site or any person building them.  If this is something that is as important to you as it is to MSW and the NRG and the ship model community at large, you may want to avoid any products from these companies as well.

See here for the details

On 5/6/2018 at 6:14 PM, Submarinerblue said:

Oneida is an excellent kit with pre-cut futtocks from which to assemble frames. Also has the online practicum. Not sure if it is a complete kit or if you need to get fittings separately. Check it out. I built it and was very satisfied. Let me know if you want to see pics of mine.

Most, of the Lumberyard offerings are only timbering kits.  However, the Oneida appears to be a complete kit as is the Caustic.   A quick email to The Lumberyard will verify this.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds: