Seguin 1884 by Pete Jaquith - BlueJacket Shipcrafters - Scale 1:48 - Steam Tug in service 1884 thru 1967

Steam Tug Seguin of 1884_1_Description

The steam tug Seguin was built in 1884 by the B.W. & B.F. Morse Shipyard in Bath, ME, for the Knickerbocker Steam Towage Company.  Named for an island at the mouth of the Kennebec River, Seguin was 88.1 feet long and had a beam of 19.8 feet.  Originally powered by a 26” x 26” surface condenser engine, she was re-engined in 1909 with a 275 shp compound triple expansion engine giving her a top speed of 12 knots.  She carried a crew of seven, including the captain, mate, engineer, two firemen, a cook, and a deck hand.

For the first twenty years of her 85-year career, Seguin towed wooden sailing ships up and down the Kennebec River in the summer.  In the winter, she towed barges laden with coal, lumber, and ice to ports along the Atlantic coast of the United States.  For the next ten years, Seguin worked along the Hudson River for Cornell Towing Company of New York.  After that, she spent the remainder of her career serving the ports of Maine until her retirement in 1967.

The model will be built to a scale of 1/4” to the foot (1:48) based on a Bluejacket Ship Crafters kit.  The model will be plank on bulkhead (POB) construction, with built up bulwarks, planked decks and topsides, and scratch-built deck furniture/fittings.  The steam tug Seguin will be a fitting companion for my series of mid 1800’s American merchant sailing ship models and a visual reminder of the small steam tugs I sailed on with my father as a teen-ager.

Regards from the shipyard,

Pete Jaquith

Seguin 001.jpg

Seguin 002.jpg

Pete Jaquith

Shipbuilder

Steam Tug Seguin of 1884_2_Construction Planning

The model will be built to a scale of 1/4” to the foot (1:48) based on a Bluejacket Ship Crafters kit.  The model is plank on bulkhead (POB) construction, with built up bulwarks, planked decks and topsides, and scratch-built deck furniture/fittings.

The model will be constructed as a static model using kit furnished materials and largely following the Bluejacket kit construction sequence.  Key observations and exceptions identified to date include:

·      Hull planking layout will be simplified following the kit instructions.

·      Decks will be built without camber (a departure from prototype practice). This follows the kit instructions and will simplify deckhouse construction.

·      Main deck will be individually planked following prototype practice.

·      Upper decks will be canvas covered following prototype practice.

·      Propeller has been replaced with a four bladed brass propeller from Caldercraft.

·      Rail stanchions have been replaced by turned brass stanchions from Caldercraft.

·      Model will be painted with color scheme typical for the period.

Next step will be a detailed review of the drawings and preparation of a construction sequence outline following my normal practice.

Regards from the shipyard,

Pete Jaquith

Seguin 003.jpg

Seguin 004.jpg

Pete Jaquith

Shipbuilder

• The title was changed to Seguin 1884 by Pete Jaquith - BlueJacket Shipcrafters - Scale 1:48 - Steam Tug in service 1884 thru 1967