2nd Planking with 0,5mm sticks

I suspect I already know the answer to this but I'll ask anyway.

Working on Constructo Enterprise. 1st hull plank layer was done using 2mmx6mm sticks. There were quite a few stealers at the stern in the deadwood area. I used 2mmx7mm for most of those. It's all done and came out OK, now it's time for the 2nd layer. I'm supposed to use 0,5mmx6mm sticks for those. Ridiculously thin for any kind of planking.

What I'm wondering is what to do for tapering & shaping? With the first sticks I could whittle down the ends with a knife or even better my thumb planer. None of that is possible with a 0,5 stick. All I can think of is laying a stick down flat and trying to cut with a straight edge.

Anyone one of you got better ideas?

Also on the stealers, I was using the 2mmx7mm sticks to squeak out a little extra width. They were about full width at one end and tapered down to about 1/2 width at the other end, where they joined up with a 2mmx6mm. So essentially I was making 2 sticks fit into 1 stick.

DSC02909.thumb.JPG.74cf782d0d3554d1829d301971aa1f32.JPG

This is going to be made even more difficult given the fact that I don't have any 7mm sticks for the 2nd layer. Only the 6's. So I may need to try a 3 into one.

Sail on...... Mike         "Dropped a part? Your shoe will always find it before your eyes do"

Current Builds:                                                          Completed Builds:

Lancia Armata 1803 - Panart                                   US Brig Niagara - Model ShipwaysSection Deck Between Gun Bays - Panart  ; Arrow American Gunboat - Amati    

Riva Aquarama - Amati                                           T24 RC Tugboat  ;  Hispaniola - Megow - Restoration ; Trajta - by Mikiek - Marisstella ; Enterprise 1799 - Constructo                             

You might try laying a piece of clear scotch tape over the area of the stealer on the hull and tracing the required shape.  Lay the tape with the tracing on your .5mm strip and cut along the traced line to get your stealer.  I always cut just a hair oversize and then use very fine sand paper with a block to get the final shape.

My advice and comments are always worth what you paid for them.

Interesting idea grxjax. I think the biggest concern is that I was using 7mm wide sticks for the stealers in the first layer, effectively allowing me to cover a 14mm wide space. These 2nd layer sticks are only 6mm wide so I don't think copying the pattern is going to work unless I find a way to wedge in a 3rd stick.

Sail on...... Mike         "Dropped a part? Your shoe will always find it before your eyes do"

Current Builds:                                                          Completed Builds:

Lancia Armata 1803 - Panart                                   US Brig Niagara - Model ShipwaysSection Deck Between Gun Bays - Panart  ; Arrow American Gunboat - Amati    

Riva Aquarama - Amati                                           T24 RC Tugboat  ;  Hispaniola - Megow - Restoration ; Trajta - by Mikiek - Marisstella ; Enterprise 1799 - Constructo