HMAS Vendetta 1925 by cog, popeye the sailor, and RGL - FINISHED - Showcase Models -1/350 - PLASTIC

Nice build concept and great subject matter guys; I'll pull up a chair and watch with interest.  Some great history in those V&W Class destroyers.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Looks like a full house and all the seats are taken up, at least the ones with a view. I do think that I found a place in the rafters though. I only had to chase a few spiders out of the way. Great view from up here though, looks like I'm right there, on ALL THREE continents! Must be some kind of space warp up here.

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

7 hours ago, Canute said:

Think I'll join Mark in the cheap seats. This looks to be a lot of fun.

Shove over, you two ... and pass the popcorn, please.

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy

The deck, bilge keels and shafts added. The shifts were warped on the spruce and replaced with brass red. There are some small gaps between the deck joins which I’ve filled with stretched spruce. The stern appears to have some prop Garda which I’ll cut off the little dimples, drill holes and add a few small gussets. 

The bollards are just so tiny I’ll probably use the horrible ones provided by the kit as they are so tiny it’s unnoticeable. 

We have ave no one from the US yet! 

DC1C68B0-B0B6-4EA6-BDA8-1B81CF9CAF07.jpeg

00463563-1976-4E21-A48C-46AD55C86FE9.jpeg

0CEE531E-FC19-44B0-A0CE-B83181982279.jpeg

Greg

Evenin' RGL,

Did you get the "old" tool? My deck parts fit rather good. It seems macro photography is required to show mismatches and other wondrous events ... At the tail end you've been sanding rather severely RGL, that might be the reason parts do not line up the way they're supposed to. I've been using a fine sanding stick and 1500P grid sandpaper to get those injection port dimples off. I had a problem with the bilge keels, quite difficult to fit as the points to attach them are hardly visible on the part itself, and on  the hull there are three somewhat undefined dents. Could be improved upon, but probably due to the size of the ship.

P.s. I like the base you have for her ... colourful!

Edited by cog

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

That’s an easy fix with a bit of CA to fill that gap and there will be a railing on it anyways! 

This is is my working base, I’ve asked the bloke who does the usual bases to make me some more. 

Ive tossed the bollards as they just look crap and will get some brass ones. 

The bilge keels are a challenge! 

I’m now onto the funnels, adding some rings for the stays and some pipes for the horns. 

Edited by RGL

Greg

1 hour ago, RGL said:

That’s an easy fix with a bit of CA to fill that gap and there will be a railing on it anyways! 

This is is my working base, I’ve asked the bloke who does the usual bases to make me some more. 

Ive tossed the bollards as they just look crap and will get some brass ones. 

The bilge keels are a challenge! 

I’m now onto the funnels, adding some rings for the stays and some pipes for the horns. 

Don't you need your beauty sleep, mate. You'll be finished before the US has it's kit delivered, even with all the kit bashing you're doing!!!

Hello Dave,

It's becoming quite an Aussie gathering ... (I'm still missing a.o. Mr "Vulture" Vadas)

Fun indeed, something like your class' project building a plastic kit if I recall well ...

Edited by cog

Carl

12 minutes ago, RGL said:

Being a shift worker I’m used to being on all ends of the clock

Sounds nasty!

Africa, Asia, Middle East, South America ... you've got enough choice, but the people to join in ...

Carl

the US is still in the wings.......nice that I can see how the prep work goes.   I'd probably use filler for the gaps......I'll look into assembling the deck first and fill around the edges ;)    that was one of the problems I saw with the Jeanne D'Arc....parts are way too small to be well defined.   I hope they are wrong about the 6 day delivery time...the admiral hasn't gone through her emails yet {I used her sign in on E-bay & pay Pal}.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

1 hour ago, src said:

I'm gonna join Lou up here in the rafters, safer that way

Hi Sam

Did you remember to steal some of the popcorn from all those chair hogs down below?

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

1 hour ago, src said:

This looks like a fun build, although, Greg, calling Carls wit cheap, that was low....:P I'm gonna join Lou up here in the rafters, safer that way when MY cheap wit rears it head.

Sam

Got used to it, thanks to you, Sam ;) Now I know why I got those Fokker Dr 1's lined up ... :D :D :D

How come you don't join in the fun Sam!?

Carl

1 minute ago, cog said:

"Didn't you remember honey ...?"

Never tried honey on popcorn. Love it on peanut butter sandwiches and pancakes though........... That reminds me, I'ts breakfast time!;) 

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Lou Rigging one of those claw contraptions right now. Shhhh! Mark will never notice as we dip into his bucket. 

I would love to join in the build, but I can barely get time to work on the Enterprise, much less start a new build. She Who Must Now Be Obeyed also has a project or two for me.

Greg, what are the little bumps on each side of the stern deck in that last picture?

Sam

Current Build Constructo Enterprise

Today's minor progress:

Drilled the portholes (didn't count them) which went reasonably fast

Mounted the vents, all nine of them, a pain to get them cleaned up, drilled the holes to get them fixed

Forward paravane cradles (big word for such a small piece of plastic)

Some squarish block, which I suspect is an air inlet for the engines

Put together the rear and front 102mm gun platforms and the connecting bridge, forard platform needs some attention (putty - second image)

working on the rear mast, making it from bras rod 0.5mm and tubing 1mm (last image)

5afc877dd8c47_IMG_3373copy.thumb.jpg.9745128c8e34cbc689f6ad5e58a9fc43.jpg5afc8782f0c51_IMG_3374copy.thumb.jpg.ea6076eb0808c141f35e3177ec9d896c.jpg5afc878be52c5_Untitled-1copy.thumb.jpg.2d02a2918bb1d022eac098cead09fee1.jpg

Carl

Put on the propeller units, or whatever you call them in English. Replaced the propellor shafts with brass rod5afca9772e6a4_IMG_3379copy.thumb.jpg.48485238a1c461e9472167811f84832c.jpg5afca973e4429_IMG_3380copy.thumb.jpg.f93e59aa88f1bf3324deb9c8d3ff8bc6.jpg

A lot more fun to this kit than I thought! Quite a challenge

Carl

36 minutes ago, cog said:

propeller units, or whatever you call them in English

Struts, or prop shaft struts.

I think your English is better than mine by a long shot!

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Morning all!

140 port holes 

The the bump on the stern piece are either the prop guard or stands for the depth th charges. 

Ive been pottering around yesterday afternoon doing up the aft funnel as per the original plans, and being comfortably smug I pulled out the WEM fret to get the funnel grill off and....

they don’t fit. 

I flat out out refuse to use the kit plastic one (on the deck beside the funnel) so I fabricated one from spares, as they’ll be black it won’t be that noticeable 

1CD93198-AB2B-45E5-99CC-40DFAA0D55A3.jpeg

4D64B13F-17D1-4306-85B8-922B3DAA7EC7.jpeg

DBE5499E-5D18-4A25-80AB-22EB84472868.jpeg

2D054D3B-8553-4646-AF9A-8EE11CFFA7D6.jpeg

Greg

Youns better better move over a scotch so I can join in, no rafter seat for me, afraid of heights ;) Looks like a fun project guys and the ship is of the same vintage as Hr. Ms. Java.  I'll have to decline the invite to join in though, too many projects going on and besides, there is lack of space in the house.

I'll just watch all youns having fun.

Cheers, 

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

good food for thought going on.........is that funnel grille part of the PE sheet?   neat what you did with the screw shafts Carl......I'll be sure to look into them ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch