HMAS Vendetta 1925 by cog, popeye the sailor, and RGL - FINISHED - Showcase Models -1/350 - PLASTIC

I bow to superior wisdom and experience...  bowdown.gif.f509d68aa91fc54cb92d64c519701ebd.gif

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Our school had a large paddle with holes drilled in it that looked like it had been lovingly crafted in shop class by some masochist and was prominently displayed outside the principals office door. Didn't have to be taken down often. Back then getting the paddel would only have been the first punishment. There would have been a lot more when you got home!

2 hours ago, cog said:

but then I would have to take the armament off.

OK Carl you got me again. Why would you have to take the guns of if you made a stand designed after a dry dock? All the supports are under the hull.

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Ah, well do I remember the good(?) sisters applying ruler to knuckles. Not too often luckily. The Brothers I studied under used chalkboard erasers as standoff weapons as needed. Particularly recalcitrant pupils were invited out back for thrashings. We had some big obnoxious kids in high school (I was a math & science nerd, so avoided those run-ins).

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

:D  Had a nun in 8th grade try to wack the back of my hand with a plastic ruler, at last second before contact, I clenched my fist tight and rotated it 90 degrees, ruler hit the thumb side of fist and shattered.  :D:D:D  man was she mad but never tried it on me again !

Edited by Jack12477

spur of the moment thing.......I have a graduation  to go to for my oldest grandson.   it will take a bite out of my day today,  so I won't get as much done as I would have hoped to accomplish.   here is what I have so far.   for the ill fated bulkhead,  I did get the door in place......also the cradles for the paravanes.  there is a small structure to the right of these two structures,  that needs a railing to go around it before it's cemented in place.  I fared badly with it,  so I'm substituting some other railings on it...that's where I ended last Friday.

5b2a4c7e14e77_1.jpg.5cffd670997195c126a99e44f0e6ee65.jpg

I had decanted the primer...even though it's still in it's wet state,  I compared it to the color blotches on the diagram.   it is pretty close to the gunze color,  so I used it without making any adjustments.   the fore structure has been given the ghost gray so far,  set on the deck to see how it will look.

5b2a4f952fc2d_2.jpg.e710c8661fecc420a01fba0009bb4819.jpg

the main deck still needs to be done.  I also see a saving grace......I notice that the main mast is on the same slant,  as the funnels,  so I might not have to drill a hole in the fore deck.  I managed to save the pipe on the aft funnel......so that little problem has been averted.....now they can be painted,  once PE has been added.  I assembled the platforms on one of the torpedo launchers...haven't gone much further there.

5b2a5160cd186_3.jpg.41af1ed8c0496fd2ea236fd366ccb3bc.jpg

kinda blurry......hope you can see alright.    I'll post any progress today ASAP  ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

All things considered, sailor-man, nicely done. Those railings really bite you in the hiney when you don't pay attention, or let your concentration wander ... I found the PE in this kit very fragile compared to e.g Pontos PE

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

11 hours ago, mtaylor said:

Not from my popcorn... I have a wooden ruler just right for slapping hands.

"What - you measure your popcorn with a ruler".......

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Here's a random question... Who do you guys think supplies the best photo-etch materials?  Eduard? Tom's Modelworks? Gold Medal?  Pontos?  I've been looking for a 1/350 set for Tamiya's Fletcher destroyer, but really don't know which supplier provides the best etch!

Alan

19 minutes ago, knightyo said:

Here's a random question... Who do you guys think supplies the best photo-etch materials?  Eduard? Tom's Modelworks? Gold Medal?  Pontos?  I've been looking for a 1/350 set for Tamiya's Fletcher destroyer, but really don't know which supplier provides the best etch!

Alan

I would have said  Pontos and Flyhawk.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Eduard is rubbish 

I don’t really know about Tom’s as it’s hard to get in Oz and very expensive 

Gold Medal Models is also very very expensive for what you get and about 10 years out of date compared to what s coming out of Korea

Flyhawk is nice and good value

Pontos is top shelf as is Infini Models (SangYun Park did a lot of their stuff before he defected) 

Alliance Model Works is a US company and very reasonable with nice stuff

BigBlueBoy has some DDG stuff 

MK1 is good

there is so much stuff out of Asia now it leaves the older companies in the dust. 

the two sites I look at are BNA model world in Oz and Hobby Easy in Hong Kong 

Greg

Eduard is rubbish for ships. Not for their own airplane kits

Never tried Tom's as it didn't deliver what I needed

I have a Fly Hawk set for Musashi, not bad but could be better, Pontos' set was better, so I used both of them, as my kit was from the old tool, and the Pontos set was sold as old tool, but only covered the new one

Alliance Model Works is expensive, mainly due to shipping. If I need it I truy to buy from ebay.

North Star has some nice general PE

And there is Atlantic Models which has some sets for Royal Navy models in different scales, which I liked working with

Carl

Thanks guys! That was fantastic info.  I've told myself that I'm not allowed to start a new project until I finish my Syren/Triton, but I'll eventually join in with you guys unless you've modeled the entire navies of all countries by the time I'm ready. lol

Alan

Never been a fan of steel PE. You only get one shot at folding it.

Ken

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

19 minutes ago, Canute said:

Never been a fan of steel PE. You only get one shot at folding it.

Some brass PE does exactly the same You've got one shot to bend it, and after that you have multiple pieces ...

Carl

Sometimes the brass is too soft and ends up pretty wavy. Not good for masts and the like.:o

Ken

You’ll probably find this hard to believe but I have a fair bit of PE left over now which I keep in a plastic sleeve folder and sticky take the frets to a piece of paper. Strangely enough the modern DDG was the least satisfying build as everything was done and no imagination was needed and the tolerances were unforgiving. 

Greg

11 minutes ago, RGL said:

least satisfying build

Unfortunately that can happen when you become a master of the medium and you need a bigger challenge to keep it interesting.

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

that's a fine list you folks created there........I was looking at Gold Medal this evening.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Spend some time looking at Hobby Easy or BNA (easier to navigate), probably 70% is directed at IJN aftermarket but there is so many extras out there. 

The 3d printing world is also amazing but for those of us at the top end of the world the shipping is waaaaaaaay out of proportion (must be a EU thingy). 

Unfortunately GMM was British then bought out by the yanks and whilst they were pretty much to start of PE they have not made a new product since the turn of the century 

Greg

3 hours ago, lmagna said:

Unfortunately that can happen when you become a master of the medium and you need a bigger challenge to keep it interesting.

Don't give him more credit  than that he's worth, Lou. You are crossing the bounderies ... back to your perch laddy

2 hours ago, RGL said:

Spend some time looking at Hobby Easy or BNA (easier to navigate), probably 70% is directed at IJN aftermarket but there is so many extras out there. 

The 3d printing world is also amazing but for those of us at the top end of the world the shipping is waaaaaaaay out of proportion (must be a EU thingy). 

Unfortunately GMM was British then bought out by the yanks and whilst they were pretty much to start of PE they have not made a new product since the turn of the century 

He is still puttin' me down, and rubbin' it in, nbow he's coming up on the Yanks ... how can you expect me to do another joint build !?

Edited by cog

Carl

Um, Aussies have always called them Yanks even though they had a significant impact on us keeping English as our first language in the 1940’s. 

listening to cog squeal reminds me a bit of a soccer player squealing and falling to the ground crying when they are tapped on the shoulder. Having a contact sport job helps. 

FA89D3B0-5A57-44D9-8878-F2AE655AF32D.jpeg

Edited by RGL

Greg

33 minutes ago, cog said:

back to your perch laddy

Perch position obtained.:piratebo5:Polly wants a cracker!

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Greg you have to come up with something better than footy, if there is one passtime I abhor, it is that, I don't even find it to be a sport: a bunch of over paid whimps they are, led by a corrupt set of money minded $%^&, so you are right in what you wrote about footy

You may enlighten me (preferably by PM) on "Yanks had a significant impact on us keeping English as our first language in the 1940’s"

Polly ... SYF or should I write SYB and sit still

Carl