HMAS Vendetta 1925 by cog, popeye the sailor, and RGL - Showcase Models -1/350 - Finished

look'in pretty sweet Carl  :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

9 hours ago, cog said:

Are those double vickers

I may be looking at the wrong thing but the small gun I see on the port wing looks more like a single Lewis gun.

Oh now I think I see what you are talking about. Twin guns but still look like Lewis guns to me.

Nice work on the rails Carl

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Thanks gents, an' Polly ;)

30 minutes ago, lmagna said:

Oh now I think I see what you are talking about. Twin guns but still look like Lewis guns to me.

Which one would be more likely on a RN destroyer between WWI & WWII

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

I think the Lewis was pretty common on a lot of smaller RN vessels all the way through the end of the war. The Vickers was belt fed and in naval use, (.50 cal) looked quite differn't.

HMS_Vanity_Vickers_.50_guns_1940_IWM_A_1249.jpg

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Came out pretty nice Carl.

Now all we need is Denis's version and someone to Photo crop them all together in one picture.

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Looking great carl.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Okay, you guys have now piqued my interest in going back to plastic models for a slight diversion. 

I found 3 kits in 1:350 scale on HobbyLinc for a pretty decent discount. Two are by Trumpeter, USS The Sullivans DD-537 and the USS Liberty ship John W Brown; the other kit is by Tamiya US Navy Fletcher Class DD445.  I picked The Sullivans and the Liberty ship because the Sullivans is on display in Buffalo's (NY) waterfront park and the John W Brown is on display in Baltimore's Inner Harbor; both of which I have seen up close and personal. The Fletcher is just an interesting ship. 

Opinions please !  Get all three or a combo ????   Or forget it ????  Pros ?? Cons ??

Looks really good, Carl.  I like seeing the difference ways this kit can be done.  Now we need to "push" Popeye and get the group photo.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

33 minutes ago, Jack12477 said:

Okay, you guys have now piqued my interest in going back to plastic models

Jack, I merely choose what is rarely done before and what has good aftermarket. The difference between different parts of the globe are exchange rates and shipping costs. Something from the US or Europe to Australia if a large parcel is $100’s of dollars but small parcels are OK (no idea), and EBay shipping prices are an out and out rort. 

Cog was saying how he gets the Shapeways stuff with cheap shipping in Europe but a 5cm x 5cm box would coat $20-40 to ship here. 

No matter how good the kit, they look a bit like bath tub toys strait out of the box unless you have good airbrush skills. Simple replacements like doors and barrels plus some simple generic pe rails make all the difference and w’re Happy to encourage you (Cog will bully you but that’s just him, tall mans syndrome). 

Greg

Thanks Greg.  Yes I tend to look for the "road less traveled" also and less expensive.  The kits are available from HobbyLinc which is USA based so shipping is cheap and quick and I have dealt with them before so good experience there. Also found Alliance ModelWorks also USA based which has a fairly good looking selection of PE brass in 1:350 scale - saw some sheets for doors, hatches, railings that ran about $13 US a sheet plus shipping.  So not too bad I think. Have to look at their web site a bit closer as I was just skimming it to get a ballpark feel for price/availability. 

I did a lot of 1:35 scale Tamiya tanks (WWII US and Europe) before I ventured into wood boat kits and I used an air brush for all the camo patterns (miss the Floquil paint tho) - also did some aircraft in camo.  I'm a tad rusty but it will come back to me I'm sure.

COG and I are old "buddies" on here so not a problem with his "bullying" - besides he's only a tad taller than me anyways.

I'll let you know what I decide.

Jack 

I'm pretty sure you already know but The Sullivans is also a Fletcher class, so building one would be almost the same as building the other. I could be wrong but I think the only real difference in in the bridges.

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Jack, build the one you feel comfy with. Perhaps one with average PE ... I used a lot of PE from Musashi/Yamato. Ordered some more generic items e.g AA guns, and some specific. That's what I'll be doing for the h class destroyer too.

Dunno how you arr on paints but a rattle can of primer will ease your painting. I switched from airbrush to it ... a blessing. The clours ... I switch between Vallejo and Tamiya

Don't listen to much to RGL babbling away when he gets personal ... he's still hanging by his toes ... still, you could do worse for an Aussie ...

Carl

Apparently that’s what we all do when born, curl our toes, a memory from the days of apes. I suppose the further away from the cradle of civilisation the more civilised we are. 

Im pretty happy with using a rattle can as a primer a lot of the time as it sticks toPE better but it easier to get colour modulation with the airbrush. 

Greg

Oops! You are right Lou, The Sullivans is a Fletcher Class. Should have looked at the Buffalo Navy Park site first before surfing HobbyLinc's website. Saves me buying a duplicate kit, more $$$ I can spend  on PE. 

Thanks, Carl, I use rattle can primer a lot, with demise of Floquil, I've pretty much switched to Tamiya and Vallejo brands. I'll use the air brush for the camo and other finer detail painting, easier to control coverage than rattle can. I'm going to go with the two ships I've actually seen. I'll drop the DD445 kit from list. Going to Buffalo this summer to see my granddaughter so maybe I can get her to tour the ships with me.

Greg,  looked up that Seydlitz kit on HobbyLinc. Man, I could buy all three of my ship kits for the price of that one kit! :o:o:o

Edited by Jack12477

Okay, I placed the order with HobbyLinc for the Liberty ship and The Sullivans  Fletcher class kit.   Will let ya'll know when they arrive..... ;)

40 minutes ago, Jack12477 said:

Okay, I placed the order with HobbyLinc for the Liberty ship and The Sullivans  Fletcher class kit.   Will let ya'll know when they arrive..... ;)

I think you will like the Liberty Ship. Wish I had spent more time detailing my copy. Just threw it together and painted it, no rigging, no photo etch...and it still looks decent. Could be a great model if proper care to detail is given.

Well Mr Bunny, it is time to join the Seydlitz build, Greg is still looking for "joinees" like Ken (Canute). You can work with rigging and PE to your heart's content. He hasn't pulled me across the line yet, but one never knows how persuavive an Aussie is ...

Carl

1 hour ago, CDW said:

I think you will like the Liberty Ship. Wish I had spent more time detailing my copy. Just threw it together and painted it, no rigging, no photo etch...and it still looks decent. Could be a great model if proper care to detail is given.

It's the John W Brown - restored and displayed in Baltimore (MD) Inner Harbor - saw it couple years back when I took my granddaughter there to tour the USS Constellation and the submarine - submarine freaked her out but the Constellation fascinated her.

so I take it your finished Carl........such a sweet vessel!  very well done indeed :)   I gotta scare up the pictures I have so far....they are still in the camera.   even though it's our anniversary today,  I've done a bit more while musing over my coffee this morning.   as I mentioned earlier,  I found a neat way to do the search light tubs....I used a drill index.

5b3118acd6d1f_1.jpg.c0183c3c0e982c6f67509836b3278c55.jpg

5b3118b729e9a_2.jpg.d2fbad8efdd7a03d3ee773b59a57e9e2.jpg

the tubs came out OK......now to assemble them and paint them.

5b3118edf2737_3.jpg.1dfc706a9c3ccd619ba469e8b4bbd738.jpg

I did some PE work on the fore structure too........the front railings came out good......but the back ones were a pain.   assembly started on the four big guns.

5b311954e5b91_4.jpg.bc34c47f38a05922f687d09abebfef16.jpg

I ended up having a bad turn on the torpedo launchers......take a look here........it's the only picture where they look this good.  note that one of the railings is missing on the platforms........they are looking worse,  the more I adjust them.   I may have to do something different with them.

5b3119f81b42f_5.jpg.4b59c8119d763f5e054c03580aba46c4.jpg

the little railings are breaking off....trying to save them,  but it's like putting gas on a fire.   assembling the tower......

5b311af2e0539_6.jpg.827211180b76cc1b011fa238b3d2c314.jpg

I think I need a bigger boat  :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch