HMS Halifax 1768 by alde - Lumberyard Kit - 1/48 scale - Based on Harold Hahn Drawings and Book

Al, I know it was tough, but like you said, it will be better in the end. 

Carefully measure out the sheer and rails where they are mid ships and where they terminate at the stern and stem on the plans. Also measure the distance between each section to make sure the width is correct with the right number of strakes. The bend or sheer created by the wales should set this up pretty well as they look to be parallel. 

Able bodied seaman, subject to the requirements of the service.

"I may very well sink, but I'm damned if I'll Strike!" JPJ

My Pacific Northwest Discovery Series:

On the slipways in the lumberyard

Union, 1792 - 1:48 scale - POF Scratch build

18th Century Longboat - circa 1790 as used in the PNW fur trade - FINISHED

Future Builds (Wish List)

Columbia Redidiva, 1787

HM Armed Tender Chatham, 1788

HMS Discovery, 1789 Captain Vancouver

Santiago, 1775 - Spanish Frigate of Explorer Bruno de Hezeta

Lady Washington, 1787 - Original Sloop Rig

Dowmer, I will do exactly as you suggest. Once it's all cleaned up it should go pretty smooth. It will also give me a chance to improve the quality of the planking in general too. They could have been fitted better.

The heart is happiest when the head and the hands work together.

Al

Current Builds:

HMS Halifax 1/48 POF Lumberyard Kit

Model Shipways Glad Tidings

Acoustic Guitar Build FINISHED

See, just an opportunity to excel and hone your skills :D

Columbia Redidiva, 1787

That was a tough decision, Al.  But the right one, IMO. I think you'll be much happier now.   BTW, will you be using that cast stern or scratching it?   

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

17 minutes ago, mtaylor said:

That was a tough decision, Al.  But the right one, IMO. I think you'll be much happier now.   BTW, will you be using that cast stern or scratching it?   

Now that all the planking is off including the shear plank I know it was the right decision. My plan is to try to carve all the decorations including the stern, figurehead and side lights in boxwood. I figure I’ll just keep trying until I get it right. Its the only way I’m going to learn.

Al

Current Builds:

Here is the method I’m going to use to get accurate elevations from the plans. I picked up a tri-fold foam board and used plastic drafting angles to fix it at 90 deg. Then I folded the plan on the top surface of the building board. Now accurate dimensions can be taken and transferred right to the hull.  I wish I had done this the first go around.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Al

Current Builds:

Al,

Just make double sure that the upside down plan of the hull is exactly the same distance and angle from the table as the ship hull is off the table.

Columbia Redidiva, 1787

Downer, I folded it right at the top surface of the building board and it should be right on. It’s going to be much better this time. I’m excited about planking it this time.

Al

Current Builds:

Ok, sounds good. 

I was just suggesting perhaps take a couple measurements one from each end of the ship from known points on the model and make sure they match on the plan or vice versa.  To give you a warm fuzzy that everything is aligned and correct and you will get correct marks when you measure off.

Looking good and a nice idea mounting the plans like that.  Cant wait to see the new planks.  👍

Columbia Redidiva, 1787

• 3 weeks later...

First I want to say how glad I am that I removed the old planking. The new is far from perfect but way better. I'm still working on the stern which has had its own issues. I think I finally got it figured out after 3 times. 

I was hoping for an opinion from you guys though. After so many do overs the planking on the stern has gotten thin. I really don't want to rip it out and start over. Would it be appropriate to paint the stern planks and if so what would be an acceptable color?

When I look at my pictures ompaired to some other builds I realize what a wood butcher I am. It's getting better though.

1534378421749-575165578.jpg

1534378496604612218812.jpg

1534378528248524170517.jpg

Edited by alde

Al

Current Builds:

Al,

The stern planking doesn't look thin from here.  Are you thinking fill with putty/filler and then sand and paint?   I guess I'm not grasping the problem.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

1 minute ago, mtaylor said:

Al,

The stern planking doesn't look thin from here.  Are you thinking fill with putty/filler and then sand and paint?   I guess I'm not grasping the problem.

Mark,

You can see under the hole a bit of the pear wood showing through. 

Al

Current Builds:

Oh... I thought that was shadow.   I really need to have my eyes and brain examined. :Whew:Are you planning on painting anything else on the hull?    Maybe some ebony stain would look good.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

I was thinking of making that thin strip above the top molding strip a nice blue like I see on some of the builds of ships of this era like on some of the Swan class. Then the color on the stern would fit.

Al

Current Builds:

This is kinda what I had in mind but just the blue.

HMS-Enterprise-Scale-1-48-840-mm-33-Wood.jpg

Edited by alde

Al

Current Builds:

I like that.  

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Hi Al

I thought I would throw in a comment here even though I am not really qualified. Was your original desire to keep the counter as raw wood like the sides of the hull or were you always intending to paint it?

If you are going to paint the transom blue anyway then it would possibly be silly to not paint the counter to match. If you were really wanting to do the wood thing then it would be a shame to have to give up your real desire.

Would it be possible to just double plank the counter with very thin veneer strips of the same wood you are using as planking elsewhere? The trim fashion pieces should hide the fact that the counter is double planked.

Just an idea from a real wood butcher, not just a rank amateur like yourself. 

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Lou,

I was tossing around the idea of the blue paint for a while. On the other hand double planking would be a great solution. Once I do the paint I'm stuck with it but some of the models I've seen with blue trim look great. I have to make my decision soon.

Al

Current Builds:

You could make the decision pretty much at any time before installing the rudder really. If you intend to pain it then you could do so and if later you decide you really want that part to be wood you could just double plank it. Then if you change your mind again you can just paint it again.

I have it easy with the Providence. I always intended to paint everything that in my opinion should be painted, so for me it's just a matter of color and paint/stain method.

Good luck 

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Lou,

I think the blue is winning out. I like the look and it’s not out of place for a ship like this. Once the trim pieces are on it would be too hard to plank the area over. I think it will look pretty nice.

Al

Current Builds:

I think I may have solved my problem. The stern was a bit too high according to the plans. The aftermost stern plank went too far back if that makes sense. I trimmed that plank forward and sanded the stern to blend it. This gives me more room for the molding and stern decoration. These pictures can probably describe it better than I can with words. I still may go with the blue. I think it will look pretty nice a d be just a bit different than all the other Halifax models.

IMG_0326.JPG

IMG_0327.JPG

IMG_0328.JPG

Al

Current Builds:

I think you've got it.  

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

12 minutes ago, mtaylor said:

I think you've got it.  

I think so Mark. This way all the trim and everything should line up much better. Now I need to get that one more piece of molding with a little plank between them then it's time to lay out the windows. That should go pretty smooth. After that I'm going to start on carving. The resin parts supplied with the kit are junk. It will all be a learning experience so it will be slow going. Hahn has some pretty good guidance in his book.

Al

Current Builds:

Nice fix Al, looking good!

-Elijah

Current build(s):

Continental Gunboat Philadelphia by Model Shipways

https://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/15753-continental-gunboat-philadelphia-by-elijah-model-shipways-124-scale/

Completed build(s):

Model Shipways Phantom

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?showtopic=12376

Member of:

The Nautical Research Guild

N.R.M.S.S. (Nautical Research and Model Ship Society)

Thanks Elijah, I’m always apprehensive about redoing things but it always turns out better. I already know the next build will go easier from the lessons here.

Al

Current Builds:

Much better now. My workmanship is still not as clean as I would like but all in all I'm happy with it. It all counts toward learning and getting better.

IMG_0331.JPG

IMG_0330.JPG

Al

Current Builds:

She’s free. It was pretty stressful thinking the whole thing would collapse but Bob is right. The hull is pretty darn sturdy with no internal structure. It didn’t flex out of shape at all.

4C4C76B5-5F88-4568-8A2C-6E2DC12A1D55.jpeg

24FB7E4B-22DA-4132-BB00-D0349E9AD60D.jpeg

EF791E57-86CF-43A9-8314-B68A54785ECD.jpeg

Al

Current Builds:

Congratulations Al

NOW you have a ship model rather than a turtle! Must be nice to be able to pick her up and look at your work rather than having to hunch over the table and guess.

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

47 minutes ago, lmagna said:

Congratulations Al

NOW you have a ship model rather than a turtle! Must be nice to be able to pick her up and look at your work rather than having to hunch over the table and guess.

Thanks Lou,

What amazes me is how light it is. It almost feels like a balsa airplane model.

Al

Current Builds: