Hello from Texas!

Greetings!

My name is Andrew and I am brand new to the wooden ship modeling community. I am recently married (1 year this June) and my wife loves indulging in my many newfound hobbies. My modeling experience lies mostly in tabletop minis like Warhammer40k and Dungeons & Dragons. I have completed a few of the Metal Earth mini-models as well as built a couple of plastic model cars/motorcycles. I didn't fully find my interest in wooden ships until I visited my late great uncle in Chicago who had at least 5 large model ships he had built. I wish I had gotten the names on all of his ships. He passed recently and I never got the chance to show him the kit I had gotten. Since his passing I have more avidly been researching the tools he had given me as well as trying to learn what I need to get started.

The kit I have is an Amati Viking Drakkar kit and it has been sitting in my closet as I haven't had the time or space to properly start on it. When my uncle had given me this box of modeling supplies, I had no idea what all was in there or really how much he had given me. I went through it all and got them cleaned up over this past week and have found that I have everything in a recommended starter toolkit plus some. The only thing I found that I was missing was clamps and some locking tweezers. He had given me a saw with miter box, hand drill with bits, alligator clips, a small hammer with exchangeable heads, filing set, hobby knife set with replacement blades, a vice, some extra rigging thread and wax, and sanding blocks. I've since picked up a pair of locking tweezers from Hobby Lobby and a 22-piece clamp set, wood glue, and super glue from Home Depot.

I believe I am ready to get started, but per some contacts on Facebook I registered here to see what other advice I could get.

So, hello and I look forward to everything I have to learn in this hobby!

Cheers,

Andrew

----------

Current: Amati Viking Drakkar

Hi Andrew,

:sign:

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Welcome!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

Welcome, Andrew. Facebook is good, but not the greatest place for build logs, etc. This rabbit hole is sooo much deeper. I love it here. 

Completed:

Billing’s Boats Cutty Sark

Artesania Latina Swift

Aeropicolla HMS Prince

Panart Royal Yacht Caroline 

Current build

Caldercraft HM Brig Supply

Next:

Corel HMS Victory

Welcome to the world of ships and dreams! We share a Chicago connection. My grandfather on my father's side shoveled coal on an American battleship 1911. The best thing about this site is that it has all levels of skill and all sorts of common mistakes and how to correct them. If you have photos of your great uncles ships and post them here maybe someone can identify them for you. It's a shot. 

:sign:

Mark
Phoenix, AZ

Current builds;

Previous builds, in rough order of execution;
Shipjack, Peterbrough Canoe, Flying Fish, Half Moon, Britannia racing sloop, Whale boat, Bluenose, Picket boat, Viking longboat, Atlantic, Fair American, Mary Taylor, half hull Enterprise, Hacchoro, HMS Fly, Khufu Solar Boat.

On the shelf; Royal Barge, Jefferson Davis.

Welcome to MSW,

And greetings from Belgium.

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum

On 5/20/2018 at 6:42 AM, davidrasch said:

Welcome to the world of ships and dreams! We share a Chicago connection. My grandfather on my father's side shoveled coal on an American battleship 1911. The best thing about this site is that it has all levels of skill and all sorts of common mistakes and how to correct them. If you have photos of your great uncles ships and post them here maybe someone can identify them for you. It's a shot. 

I wish I had taken pictures when I was up there. I plan to at least request pictures of them for some inspiration and motivation. If/when I do, I will definitely be looking into having them identified.

Thank you =D

Cheers,

Andrew

----------

Hello and welcome Andrew.

Where in Texas do you live?

I live in Monterrey MX which is just a couple hours below Laredo and about 5 from San Antonio.

I attend every year the IPMS model show in S.A. and when possible, I take a wooden ship to contest there.

Welcome to MSW

Ulises

There aren't but two options: do it FAST, or do it RIGHT.

Current Project Build Log: Soleil Royal in 1/72. Kit by Artesania Latina.

Last finished projectsRoyal Ship Vasa 1628; French Vessel Royal Louis 1780. 1/90 Scale by Mamoli. 120 Cannons

Future projects already in my stash: Panart: San Felipe 1/75; OcCre: Santísima Trinidad 1/90;

Wish List: 1/64 Amati Victory, HMS Enterprise in 1/48 by CAF models.

So much to build, so little time!

1 hour ago, Ulises Victoria said:

Hello and welcome Andrew.

Where in Texas do you live?

I live in Monterrey MX which is just a couple hours below Laredo and about 5 from San Antonio.

I attend every year the IPMS model show in S.A. and when possible, I take a wooden ship to contest there.

Welcome to MSW

Ulises

I live in Addison, which is maybe 30 mins north of Dallas. I need to look to see if there are any model shows around my area!

Nice to see other MSW members are, relatively, local. =D

Thanks for the welcome!

Cheers,

Andrew

----------