Tirpitz by DannyVM - Revell Platinum Edition - 1/350

MaybeIMaybe you will find an answer with Marijn.

Check this post. There are beautiful little figures on his ships

Oohh yes Patrick, i did see this fabolous build by Marijn in real person at a convention, really really great build. So your answer explains allot, thank's allot.

29 minutes ago, RGL said:

North Star have fabulous stuff, remember the figures are tiny and you will need a lot for a battleship 

Hi Greg, thank you for your answer. I know, they are really tiny, and i know also i will pushing myself to the limits. 

2800 to be exactly, yes that's allot, but i will depict the ship when the most of them are asleep in their bunk's:cheers: I know, it's not fair.B)

Ok, guy's i made a start, expect photo's real soon. See ya

Regards

Danny

Time to put some photo's over here. I made a careful start on this beast. Like i said before, i'm used to build bigger scale, 1/32 airplane models, so this will be my first ship building in plastic medium, i hope everything will turn the way i like it.B)

There's enough instructions to get lost on this one.

wUPlm6Nl.jpg

The hull is separated into two half's, which both are nicely moulded, some seam lines need to be removed, but it's no difficult job to do.. The fit of the two half's is fairly good.

JSvgYxLl.jpg

I just wanted to know for sure how this kit would fit, so i did a dry-fit of both half's and the upper deck.

6SKhAGXl.jpg

8ZeMJhgl.jpg

q0MfLjWl.jpg

Also the two inner (i don't know how to call them ) walls gave a very good fit into the hull.

NNrdfx8l.jpg

Dry-fit of the upper deck gave a good alignment, so for this i was happy.

2aLg7QXl.jpg

5RQzGvzl.jpg

Gh59uXul.jpg

AAj2apgl.jpg

Time to glue the two half's together.

jTQrOODl.jpg

When the gued is dry, i will glue two nuts into the hull, for later connection on a base plate. Also i will use epoxy glue into the separation seam for a secure connection.

nAYoMI8l.jpg

Indeed, yes, i put in all my models my signature and starting date of the project, let's say it's for good luck...........:piratebo5:

Ok guy's so far so good, it's not much, but it's a start.

Regards

Danny

47 minutes ago, DannyVM said:

Also the two inner (i don't know how to call them ) walls

Normally one would say bulkheads, but in this case ... these are reinforcements

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

43 minutes ago, cog said:

I like their products, but 1200/1300 ... I'll stick to 1:350 with an eye on 1:700 for a change once in a while

That's really tiny, not for my old eyes Carl. Respect for you guy's who tackle these kit's.

41 minutes ago, cog said:

Normally one would say bulkheads, but in this case ... these are reinforcements

Yep right on target, i couldn't quit give them a name, thank's allot.

Carl beat me to it.......nice looking kit.........very nice detail on the deck.   is there a wood deck upgrade out there for this model?

https://scaledecks.com/

you can have a look here.......I do notice that they sell their products through Amazon and E-bay

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

33 minutes ago, popeye the sailor said:

Carl beat me to it.......nice looking kit.........very nice detail on the deck.   is there a wood deck upgrade out there for this model?

https://scaledecks.com/

you can have a look here.......I do notice that they sell their products through Amazon and E-bay

No need for aftermarket for this kit, this kit comes with a full load of different media.

E1qe4JXl.jpg

L9RxAADl.jpg

zIvJIDKl.jpg

FbCfcFEl.jpg

u2zY5Yyl.jpg

Regards

Danny

You go crazy on three sheets of PE ... then I strongly advise against Yamato/Musashi from Tamiya as a future build!

Nice detail up set included. Normally you would have to buy a set which is as, sometimes even more expensive than the kit itself.

Edited by cog

Carl

WOW....Revell has really stepped up to the plate on their kits....then again,  platinum edition kits must be rather new.  I've not heard of them.  ok then......I'll just sit back and watch  ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

15 hours ago, cog said:

You go crazy on three sheets of PE ... then I strongly advise against Yamato/Musashi from Tamiya as a future build!

Nice detail up set included. Normally you would have to buy a set which is as, sometimes even more expensive than the kit itself.

Crazy is the right word Carl, i think really crazy:default_wallbash:, but on the other hand, it will give the kit a nice extra dimension if you ask me.

Yamato was also on my wanted list, but with the kit about 260€ and more then a equal on the AM it was a little on the expensive side.

14 hours ago, popeye the sailor said:

WOW....Revell has really stepped up to the plate on their kits....then again,  platinum edition kits must be rather new.  I've not heard of them.  ok then......I'll just sit back and watch  ;) 

They are, still almost two years i think when they released their first Platinum kit, the Bismark. There's also technik kits that are released now, i think the Snowberry is one of them. They come with light set, which are fabricated and delivered from belgium.

Regards

Danny

As RGL wrote ... you haven't got enough!!! You'll be buying more ... and more ... and more ... because you want her to look better, nicer details ... crispy ... might as well have bought Yamato with both Pontos and Flyhawk detailup sets ... lovely build by the way I'm on Musashi (old tool) for at least two years now. The old tool has a wee bit more PE, but whats a ton more or less in brass ;)

Carl

Carl And RGL

You guys make it sound like you go out and buy PE sets and then go looking for a model to fit!:huh:

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Nah, the PE sets for the models we make just do not cover everything we want/need for the build :) Especially since we know/discover what's around ... you'll find out soon enough, especially when you have a look at other builds :D

You've been building airplanes ... without PE/resin?

53 minutes ago, lmagna said:

You guys make it sound like you go out and buy PE sets and then go looking for a model to fit!:huh:

Greg maybe an idea for the next build ... ;)

Edited by cog

Carl

7 hours ago, cog said:

When I was in my airplane stage full time they had not even invented PE yet! I mostly  liked the Monogram plane selections. I had to learn how to do all my instrumentation by hand! The only aircraft kit I have presently that fits the PE/resin criteria is the Sword Sikorski JRS-1 I have a single sheet of PE and a blister pack of resin parts from CMK. Mostly interior parts that will never be seen when the plane is built. It is part of my Pan Am Clipper/ flying boat era of interest. The others are the Boeing 314 and Martin P6M SeaMaster without PE.

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

On 24-5-2018 at 4:20 PM, RGL said:

Sigh, you’ll never have enough PE now you’ve started. 

You hit the nail Greg, i'm afraid i will go crazy on this one, but for now i'm sticking to the pe in the box:dancetl6:

On 24-5-2018 at 8:14 PM, cog said:

As RGL wrote ... you haven't got enough!!! You'll be buying more ... and more ... and more ... because you want her to look better, nicer details ... crispy ... might as well have bought Yamato with both Pontos and Flyhawk detailup sets ... lovely build by the way I'm on Musashi (old tool) for at least two years now. The old tool has a wee bit more PE, but whats a ton more or less in brass ;)

Well if i look at my airplane build's, there's never enough. I like to work with pe, but i always have in mind that there is a limit............nah......at the end, there isn't:o

I think on a ship model pe has a much more important factor due to the tiny details, so i'm afraid that i always will find something that will have a better look with the using of pe.

On 24-5-2018 at 11:19 PM, cog said:

All my 1/32 airplane kit's have their own pe/resin detail set's inside. Some of them even have more pe/resin then kit parts. If something isn't there yet regarding replacing the kit part with resin, i will make it myself. That's what i have previously done with the MIG 23 nose cone.

Regards

Danny

3 hours ago, DannyVM said:

If something isn't there yet regarding replacing the kit part with resin, i will make it myself. That's what i have previously done with the MIG 23 nose cone.

Show us!!!

Carl

40 minutes ago, cog said:

Show us!!!

If it's okay for showing it over here, no problem for going for a second off topic.:cheers:

Mig kit's nose was to pointed

49d613Tl.jpg

So i decided to make a more accurate nose from a MIG 29 nose.

R6h2oERl.jpg

Made a rubber mal, and poured some resin to get a new nose-cone.

h5waZCdl.jpg

Dry-fit

5b1fEBNl.jpg

and after trimming the resin nose and glueing onto the fuselage.

MCXJ3UOl.jpg

Regards

Danny

• 8 months later...

Hi Folk's, again it's a long time since i posted something about the Tirpitz progress. So time to give some updates about the progress.

Hull of the Tirpitz was glued together, resulting in some unequal seams, so they need to get some putty. While drying, i tackled the 150 m/m gun towers.

Without PE they look like this....

LmV7Nrkl.jpg

YSnLvdYl.jpg

But this kit got a load of PE and brass barrels onboard, so let the fun begins.

Jmogl4ll.jpg

6f1ihCwl.jpg

3yWjOG6l.jpg

dY4VtK1l.jpg

bW230GVl.jpg

Ok folk's, so far the progress, for now i have a question?

Revell give's the modeller a choice between two color scheme's. On both they depict two color scheme's with the use of blue, but i can find any info about the use of these sort of color scheme's. For this i used the following reference site

http://www.bismarck-class.dk/tirpitz/tirpitz_menu.html

These are the Revell color profiles included in the kit :

fqb8IsKl.jpg

bAbJSMwl.jpg

My question to the expert's ; are these color scheme's accurate?? Or is it just a rendition of what could be???

Regards

Danny

We once visited the Tirpitz muzeum in Alta norway.

On the site of this museum there is an interesting film with a Tirpitz in grey color and various other color schemes

https://www.tirpitz-museum.no/#home

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum

4 hours ago, Backer said:

We once visited the Tirpitz muzeum in Alta norway.

On the site of this museum there is an interesting film with a Tirpitz in grey color and various other color schemes

https://www.tirpitz-museum.no/#home

Thank's Patrick for the nice link you gave me.😃

Yesterday and today i did some work on the Tirpitz. The hull was painted completely, and the deck received the wooden deck it deserved. 

So now onto the painting of the hull. Revell instructions gave two choices to paint the model, but something tells me that it is not very accurate, don't ask me why, but when i look at this link, i don't find any color variation like the ones depicted into the Revell instructions.

fqb8IsKl.jpg

bAbJSMwl.jpg

So, to be honest, this is my first ship build, the camo pattern like shown above is just to complicated to paint it for a novice, so i decided to go a little easier. I did some research and i came up with this color scheme

a4FAyHrl.jpg

ihcIZDul.jpg

Lui4Mzwl.jpg

It's a fairly simple color scheme, but still, i like it, so, this is the one i will use. 

I started with the primer coat, i use black.

ENOxPY9l.jpg

Some taping to do and next color is the bottom of the hul, the red-brown color.

oLZ57Sll.jpg

So i build up the colors, side of the hull, the dark and light grey colors.

NlfDQf1l.jpg

pAPTmmkl.jpg

After that, i airbrushed a gloss clear coat onto the model and afterwards it was time to tackle the wooden deck, something is wasn't really thrilled about to do.

eoUpZaMl.jpg

iMuHhHUl.jpg

YJZhgkJl.jpg

To be honest, this is just easy work, the wooden deck was added withing about an half an hour and it was done.

ETtkXyml.jpg

91Icyekl.jpg

Regards

Danny

I love your stand..........where did you get it?!?!?!?!?  very nice work!   the thing to remember about the color schemes.......these were at different points in her career.  is this one of her just starting out?  what flotilla was she in at the time?  to pinpoint an exact scheme,  this is some of the info that will help you make the decision.  I like it too.......I think you made a good choice.........but I would find out when that was though.  there is similar controversy with the Arizona........I think it's a combination of cheap azz paint and water reflection.....you there are folks more knowledgeable than I,  going all Sherlock Holmes over it.  the deck work is wonderful.....so glad you visited and gave an update.  don't make a stranger of yourself....this is an awesome project  ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

I think you are underselling yourself, you have done a great job with the paint.

May I ask, is there any reason why you post your photographs through another host and not directly to the site?  

Edited by Richmond

Current Builds

Mikasa by I Love Kit - 1:200 - Plastic

HMS Beagle by Occre - 1:48 - Wood

15 hours ago, popeye the sailor said:

I love your stand..........where did you get it?!?!?!?!?  very nice work!   the thing to remember about the color schemes.......these were at different points in her career.  is this one of her just starting out?  what flotilla was she in at the time?  to pinpoint an exact scheme,  this is some of the info that will help you make the decision.  I like it too.......I think you made a good choice.........but I would find out when that was though.  there is similar controversy with the Arizona........I think it's a combination of cheap azz paint and water reflection.....you there are folks more knowledgeable than I,  going all Sherlock Holmes over it.  the deck work is wonderful.....so glad you visited and gave an update.  don't make a stranger of yourself....this is an awesome project  ;) 

In fact it's a 1/32 airplane model stand from JHModels. I found out it was suitable for ship models to with a flat bottom.

This is the link where i bought it from, they are situated in Amsterdam, the Netherlands.

https://www.aviationmegastore.com/fixing-stand-for-plastic-kits-jhm3201-jh-models-jhm3201-aircraft-scale-modelling-tools/product/?action=prodinfo&art=130079

About the color scheme : and when i look at my previous post i notice that i didn't copy the link which is the reference i use for my build.

http://www.bismarck-class.dk/tirpitz/tirpitz_menu.html

You're right when you say that every color scheme has a time frame to it, on this site you can easily see the color scheme's that are linked to a time frame. What i couldn't find, or overseen it, was the flottille where the Tirpitz was assigned to. The color scheme i use, was worn between February 1942 and March 1942. It's also interesting that from March on they seem to use tarp's over de main gun turrets and barrels.

11 hours ago, Richmond said:

I think you are underselling yourself, you have done a great job with the paint.

May I ask, is there any reason why you post your photographs through another host and not directly to the site?  

Thank's allot for the nice compliment.👍

I'm using a photo sharing host because i'm active in other forums also regarding my airplane builds. So it's easy to use it to over here, just because i am familiar to it. But maybe i should try it, it's alway's good to learn other way's to place photo's on a forum.

Regards

Danny

2 hours ago, Richmond said:

You would want to hope your site doesn't morph into another photobucket.

I use this site for about 3 years now, and it's still runs like in the beginning, so at the moment no worries yet. That said, there's always a possibility that thing's go wrong on such site's, but for now, i'm happy with it.

well,  just so you know that MSW allows you the ability to post pictures on the site.   there are some sites that I joined and later left,  because they don't allow it.   I had a bad experience with one.......  now I keep all my pictures on memory sticks.....much easier ;)   thanks for the link.......I also noticed that they have one for bi planes too.  wouldn't be too hard to make other 'jaw' attachments to fit other types of hulls.  sounds like my budget director is good with the idea of me ordering one.....but I see that it says that they are out of stock.   I'll find out......thanks again  :) 

yea......not sure if the Germans division-ed their ships like other navies 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Just finished work on the four 380 m/m guns of the Tirpitz. I also made one 20 m/m AA gun to place it on one of the 380 m/m gun turrets. You wouldn't believe it, but this 20 m/m AA gun exists of 25 PE part's which are folded and glued together.

The basic ingredients for the four 380 m/m guns.

rcYSlmAl.jpg

Some turrets showed some scratches on their surface. Nothing serious, just a little bit filling and the job is done.

247CyaCl.jpg

r94JIm8l.jpg

HyuTDkbl.jpg

Next, replace the plastic gun barrels with new brass ones.

pOMxPCBl.jpg

8eyCYSGl.jpg

zwDgq8wl.jpg

x973Sntl.jpg

On top of one of the turrets comes a 20 m/m AA Gun. Two choices, plastic or .......pe..........which exist out of 25 pieces.....:omg:

I decided to take the plunge, this is the result.

hGTIYpPl.jpg

0bwndenl.jpg

For comparison, a toothpick and my finger, just to show how small these suckers are...

iwqfZDul.jpg

And the whole bunch together.

PLmwzcBl.jpg

Regards

Danny