DN Iceboat by MikeR - FINISHED

In the early 1970's I built a DN class Iceboat that I sailed on Lake Arthur  in Moraine State Park which is located in western Pennsylvania.  I am now building one at a reduced scale of  1 1/4 in. to 1 ft or 1 : 9.6 scale.  The plans that I used are from the International  DN Ice Yacht Association.  I am using walnut, bloodwood, and dogwood for construction of the model.

Jack,  I sold  the iceboat years ago.  Back in the 70's and early 80's we had a lot of snow  covered ice. The only time I got to use it was at the end of winter when the snow was melted off the ice. Which left only a week or two of good sailing ice before open water. Being young and crazy we would use a plank from shore to the ice over open water for the last sailing day of the year.

I used walnut for the base and sides, the deck and the cockpit is dogwood with a bloodwood stripe

DSCN7919.JPG

DSCN7922.JPG

DSCN7915.JPG

4 minutes ago, MikeR said:

Back in the 70's and early 80's we had a lot of snow  covered ice.

Ah yes, the curse of all ice boaters.   Model looks good, like the choice of woods.

• 3 weeks later...

Wow !  Very nice Mike.  I can just see it gliding across the ice. You did a great job capturing all the detail. Are you going to include a sail ?

Mike,

An unusual build, I am amazed at your reproduction of all the metal work especially the blocks. Extremely neat and clean it makes the Iceboat pop. Kudos

John Allen

Current builds HMS Victory-Mamoli

On deck

USS Tecumseh, CSS Hunley scratch build, Double hull Polynesian canoe (Holakea) scratch build

Finished

Waka Taua Maori War Canoe, Armed Launch-Panart, Diligence English Revenue Cutter-Marine  Model Co. 

Really nice work.  I can already see her gliding across the frozen Hudson.

Dan

Current build -SS Mayaguez (c.1975) scale 1/16" = 1' (1:192) by Dan Pariser

Prior scratch builds - Royal yacht Henrietta, USS Monitor, USS Maine, HMS Pelican, SS America, SS Rex, SS Uruguay, Viking knarr, Gokstad ship, Thames River Skiff , USS OneidaSwan 42 racing yacht  Queen Anne's Revenge (1710) SS Andrea Doria (1952), SS Michelangelo (1962) , Queen Anne's Revenge (2nd model) USS/SS Leviathan (1914),  James B Colgate (1892),  POW bone model (circa 1800) restoration

Prior kit builds - AL Dallas, Mamoli Bounty. Bluejacket America, North River Diligence, Airfix Sovereign of the Seas

"Take big bites.  Moderation is for monks."  Robert A. Heinlein

Beautiful work, Mike of something we haven't seen much (well..there is Jack's build) around here.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thank you all for the comments and it was Jacks ice yacht that gave me the idea to build this.

I am using a gun stock refinishing oil for the iceboat. This is after three coats.

DSCN9659.thumb.JPG.d177ac9f41dbb2fe65935f5c46656d1c.JPG

The sail that will be used.

DSCN9657.thumb.JPG.5a6cf10b006aad01582f008a10ed36c1.JPG

The  Bluenose in the back ground that I am working on the rigging while the oil dries.

DSCN9658.thumb.JPG.807300b8a51b1da89916f3e6bed9d008.JPG

DSCN9630.thumb.JPG.a76471e6be4662a31405224c4fed79a3.JPG

DSCN9633.thumb.JPG.745b73aab6614297602c5489287cceb0.JPG

DSCN9657.JPG

Mike, WOW, that gun stock oil really makes the wood pop.  Nice job.  Great job on the sails and battens, as well as all the brass work.  Now if we could just shrink ourselves down we could take her for a nice sail. Glad you joined me for something different in subject matter.

Mike, what material did you use to make the sail?  It looks like you made a slot in the mast and boom to slide the sail into. Is that what you did?

Jack, I should of taken some pictures, but once I started making the sail I forgot.  I used vellum drafting paper. I tried to find vellum paper that shows the linen weave but I could not find any.  I drew out the sail on graft paper,  I then folded the vellum in half so the seam will be the mast side.  I use a glue stick to glue a .020 brass wire on the seam and also to attach the battens. I also reinforced the corners with piece of clear plastic. I then used a spray paper adhesive to glue the 2 sides together.  For the bottom of the sail I folded a strip of paper and glued a .020 wire on it then attached it to the sail.  I then laid the mast over and ran the sail up the slot in the mast.  Then the same thing for the boom.  All I need now is get a few decals for the sail.

I added the decals to the sail and I ran into a problem , I broke the mast cables.  I was using fine copper wire (.005) twisted together and it was breaking at the connection points were it was bent. Now the cables are made of .005 stainless piano wire twisted together and they are much stronger. 

DSCN9791.JPG

DSCN9786.JPG

Great looking boat, Mike! Now all we need is ICE !  :D  I like the decals , how did you make them? Pre-printed?   Or ??