Just wanted to let folks know that I ordered some wood from Jason at Crown Timberyard and the wood and service were outstanding.  Jason spent quite a bit of time answering questions and making recommendations, which I greatly appreciated.  

For those that remember Jeff at HobbyMill, my experience with Jason was very similar.  So a big thank you to Jason!

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Cornwall is my "go-to" supplier for many of my modeling needs. Excellent service, reasonable prices.

Ron

Director, Nautical Research Guild

Secretary/Newsletter Editor, Philadelphia Ship Model Society

Former Member/Secretary for the Connecticut Marine Model Society

Current Build: Godspeed 2, (Wyoming, 6-masted Schooner)

Completed Builds: HMS Grecian, HMS Sphinx (as HMS CamillaOngakuka Maru, (Higaki Kaisen, It Takes A Village), Le Tigre Privateer, HMS Swan, HMS Godspeed, HMS Ardent, HMS Diana, Russian brig Mercury, Elizabethan Warship Revenge, Xebec Syf'Allah, USF Confederacy, HMS Granado, USS Brig Syren

I'm glad to hear Jason has things rolling again. It seemed like things were kinda rocky for a while. He does offer a good product and has always been very helpful when I have needed assistance.

Even in the  U.S.  Cornwall can't be beat on many products. I get all my European kits thru them. The turnaround is fantastic - store to door is usually 4-5 days. Some kits are literally hundreds less than anyone over here.

Sail on...... Mike         "Dropped a part? Your shoe will always find it before your eyes do"

Current Builds:                                                          Completed Builds:

Lancia Armata 1803 - Panart                                   US Brig Niagara - Model ShipwaysSection Deck Between Gun Bays - Panart  ; Arrow American Gunboat - Amati    

Riva Aquarama - Amati                                           T24 RC Tugboat  ;  Hispaniola - Megow - Restoration ; Trajta - by Mikiek - Marisstella ; Enterprise 1799 - Constructo                             

Is Jason back in business? I've noted that his ad on the forum disappeared not long ago.

His milled wood was quite good and he delivered within a reasonable time frame.

Does he have a new web site?

Thanks for any info.

Ron

Ron

Completed Builds: HMS Grecian, HMS Sphinx (as HMS CamillaOngakuka Maru, (Higaki Kaisen, It Takes A Village), Le Tigre Privateer, HMS Swan, HMS Godspeed, HMS Ardent, HMS Diana, Russian brig Mercury, Elizabethan Warship Revenge, Xebec Syf'Allah, USF Confederacy, HMS Granado, USS Brig Syren

His site is up and still at the "old" address:   http://www.crowntimberyard.com/

Edited by mtaylor

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thanks! Good News for all of us. Looks like he's got his business up n' running again.

Ron

• 5 months later...

I don't know if this is in the wrong category, if it is, admin has permission to move to right place. For my next model, I am considering ordering boxwood through Jason at Crown Timber. However, I need a certain size of wood that Jason doesn't provide. This will be my first time ever working personally with boxwood. For those of you who have used boxwood, do you advise planing down a thicker size to the desired size or to make layers? Thanks for the help, I am looking forward to this.

Brian :)

I love working with boxwood Brian. It has little grain and maintains a crisp edge. I'm curious as to what part of your ship would require a baulk of wood larger than Jason can provide. Perhaps the main mast of a First Rate at 1:48 scale?

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

moderator Echo Cross-section build
Admiralty Models Cross-section Build

Finished build
Pegasus, 1776, cross-section

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

Hi Joe and Greg, thanks for the replies. For my next project I am considering building Brig Eagle using the plans by Gene Bodnar. In his guide, the keel measures 1/4 inches wide and 3/8 inches thick. One of the guys in the club I am with here in Denver was e-mailing to me it is better to get over-sized and mill down to correct thickness. He offered to mill for me. I thought that I saw that Crown Timber had a piece that was 1/2 inch thick, but that was wrong. However, I can glue two pieces of wood 1/4 inch thick on top of each other and mill down to size. I only hope that it doesn't show super obviously.  Gene says the keel bottom comes in three main pieces each being a little over a foot long. The length is not an issue at this time.

Brian :)

Edited by bdgiantman2

Brian, 

Email Jason at Crown.  He might be able to cut the wood to size as a special order.  I checked several other places and it appears some former suppliers don't carry it any more.

Whoops... posted too soon:  https://www.rarewoodsusa.com/product/boxwood-castelo/   Special order.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Brian,

It depends on how badly you want the keel to be boxwood.  If the answer is “absolutely” I would get a ¼” thick sheet from either Crown or Syren and slice off a few 3/8” pieces for the keel.  You are also going to need ¼ inch thick for the sternpost and stem assembly.  Its a bit pricey ($15) but you will have a decent piece of boxwood leftover that you can use later...and box is only going to get MORE expensive.

Option B is “other”, but not basswood.  After working with cherry in the Queen Anne Barge, I find I really like that wood.  Also much less expensive.  Darker though.

Chuck

Chuck Seiler
San Diego Ship Modelers Guild
Nautical Research Guild

Current Build:: Colonial Schooner SULTANA (scratch from Model Expo Plans), Hanseatic Cog Wutender Hund, John Smith Shallop
Completed:  Missouri Riverboat FAR WEST (1876) Scratch, 1776 Gunboat PHILADELPHIA (Scratch 1/4 scale-Model Shipways plans)

I agree with Chuck that the best course would be to but a sheet of 1/4" thick x 3" wide boxwood sheet from Jason. If you don't have a small table saw he may even slice off the 1/4" x 3/8" keel slice you need from the sheet. If you are scratch building your brig you'll certainly have need of the rest of the sheet at some point.

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

moderator Echo Cross-section build
Admiralty Models Cross-section Build

Finished build
Pegasus, 1776, cross-section

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

I dunno.  Alaskan Yellow Cedar (AYC) is great for planking, small deck furniture and structural for small models but I am not sure I would want to use it for something the size Brian is envisioning.

Chuck Seiler
San Diego Ship Modelers Guild
Nautical Research Guild

Current Build:: Colonial Schooner SULTANA (scratch from Model Expo Plans), Hanseatic Cog Wutender Hund, John Smith Shallop
Completed:  Missouri Riverboat FAR WEST (1876) Scratch, 1776 Gunboat PHILADELPHIA (Scratch 1/4 scale-Model Shipways plans)