Miter boxes----What is the best one.

I am on the search for a new and better miter box.   I never use my bright aluminum xacto miter box.   I learned long ago that it is too hard on my saws.   I have been using a plastic Zona miter box, it works great for a while, but my saws are too hard on the plastic box. The plastic is a bit soft.  Do any of you have any suggestions?  Whats the best one out there?

Edited by roach101761

Phil Roach

Former Director, Nautical Research Guild

Member Shipmodeler's Guild Southwest Florida

Phil:

I like the one from Midwest Products for a large miter box.  It's plastic but it holds up well.

For smaller work I like the mini miter box from UMM.  It can only be used with the saw shown in the photo - from UMM also.

Kurt

IMG_4060.JPG

IMG_4057.JPG

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS

CLUBS

Nautical Research & Model Ship Society of Chicago

Midwest Model Shipwrights

North Shore Deadeyes

The Society of Model Shipwrights

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

I use a combination of these three (available from MicroMark)

a: micro miter box (use with micro razor blade saw pictured)

b: duplicating jig

c: aluminum miter box with saw

Never had a problem with the aluminum box dulling the saw blades.  I did use a plastic one for a while until I sawed right thru it after repeated use.

I use the Zona 37-240 Aluminum Thin Slot Miter Box. I like that the slots are thin so you don't get the play that I found with the X-Acto version. I stick a 1/4 thick piece of wood to the bottom with double-sided tape to avoid sawing into the metal.

The miter box from UMM that Kurt mentions is on my "to buy" list.

Richard.

Richard

Current Build: Early 19th Century US Revenue Cutter (Artesania Latina "Dallas" - messed about)

Completed Build: Yakatabune - Japanese - Woody Joe mini

Member: Nautical Research Guild & Midwest Model Shipwrights

Thank you Kurt, Jack and Richard.  I have the UMM micro saw and box pictured above.  It is very nice for small work and I highly recommend it.  UMM also makes one with a V slot or groove for round material.  I also highly recommend that.  Richard thanks for the review of the Zona box.  I will probably order it today and pull out my Micro Mark catalog and see if it is time to suffer some shipping costs.  The mid west box I constantly see at Michael's, Joanne's and Hobby lobby.  Time to find a coupon. 

Am I correct that I can easily place a piece of wood on the bottom of the deeper boxes and that will shorten the depth so I can use my Zona 52 and 42 TPI mini saws in the bigger boxes?

Phil Roach

29 minutes ago, roach101761 said:

Am I correct that I can easily place a piece of wood on the bottom of the deeper boxes and that will shorten the depth so I can use my Zona 52 and 42 TPI mini saws in the bigger boxes?

This is mine.

MiterBox.png.3ddec27bcbba172d475410d702f7e2b7.png

A couple of strips of double-sided tape holds it down (you can see the extra cuts before I thought of that!).  It protects the teeth of the saw as well. You do lose the various grooves but I never found those to be of much use, finger pressure to hold the wood in place is enough.

Richard.

Richard

Current Build: Early 19th Century US Revenue Cutter (Artesania Latina "Dallas" - messed about)

Completed Build: Yakatabune - Japanese - Woody Joe mini

Member: Nautical Research Guild & Midwest Model Shipwrights

This may be oversized for your needs.  The essential features are the adjustable fence that can be set according to a paper template or with a digital protractor, and a Japanese saw that is magnetically coupled to the fence by a self-adhesive magnetic strip.  

http://www.mimf.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=4058&hilit=fixture+jig+slot

Edited by Bob Blarney

I have never been entirely happy with the precision of mitre-boxes, regardless of their size. It is quite tricky to have the right thickness of the saw, thick enough to not wobble in the slots and thin enough to not get stuck. A micro-mitre saw as described in the previous post might be, indeed, a good idea. Perhaps one could also construct one on the basis of the Xacto-sawblades.

wefalck

panta rhei - Everything is in flux

M-et-M-72.jpg  Banner-AKHS-72.jpg  Banner-AAMM-72.jpg  ImagoOrbis-72.jpg

29 minutes ago, wefalck said:

I have never been entirely happy with the precision of mitre-boxes, regardless of their size. It is quite tricky to have the right thickness of the saw, thick enough to not wobble in the slots and thin enough to not get stuck. A micro-mitre saw as described in the previous post might be, indeed, a good idea. Perhaps one could also construct one on the basis of the Xacto-sawblades.

Guitars do not sound well if the frets are misplaced or loose, and there are people who certainly can detect pitch that is only 5 cents (1 cent =1/100th of a semi-tone) off.  Try the magnetic fence-guide idea with the Japanese pullsaw-one of the very fine flush-cutting blades.  It's cheap & easy.  

Edited by Bob Blarney

Welfalck, the one that uses razor blades with saw teeth is quite rigid thanks to a rigid spine and works well on small stuff. And it is very easy to set for repetitive stuff too. The others I too have trouble with accuracy.

Richard

I recently purchased this one from a French company, quite expensive but high quality and works perfectly

WP_20180409_12_38_58_Pro.thumb.jpg.76a9fe28bebfec02aab9046a7a44d92b.jpg

www.octantenligne.com

Not sure what it is made from but has rubbery bottom so doesn't move and is quite heavy and nearly £100 including postage but I have to say worth every penny

BOÎTE À ONGLET MINIATURE

Boîte à onglet miniature pour tronçonnage précis de profilés, tubes et barres de cotes maximum 6 x 6 mm. Angles de coupe : 30°,45° et 90°. Épaisseur de lame de scie utilisable : jusqu’à 0,5 mm.
Avec possibilité d’immobilisation du profilé pour permettre une découpe précise. Réalisation tout métal.

Longueur : 10 cm. Largeur : 5 cm. Hauteur 1,2 cm.

Regards Paul 

Edited by paulsutcliffe

The clerk of the cheque's yacht of sheerness

Current build HMS Sirius (1797) 1:48 scratch POF from NMM plans

HMS Winchelsea by chuck 1:48

Cutter cheerful by chuck 1:48

Previous builds-

Elidir - Thames steam barge

Cutty Sark-Billings boats

Wasa - billings boats

Among others 😁

Paul

Did you say 100 pounds?!!!   The photo does not show how large it is. Could you describe it better and perhaps the angles it cuts?

****  Did not read the french until after I posted.  Now I know the angles and size.  Thanks for posting it.   It seems that I could go to local machinist and get a them to make me a miter box for less.  

Edited by roach101761

Phil Roach

I received my new Zona miter boxes and saws last week.  Thought everyone would like to see how they are currently packaged.

Metal box and 42 tpi saw.    

IMG_1402.thumb.JPG.1c0b9570e3b00b7bb5a4bf9129f3a714.JPG

Plastic mini box and 32tpi saw

IMG_1403.thumb.JPG.e25b13c4fd5f10540e83810654eac97d.JPG

My new 52tpi saw.  I wore out my previous one.

IMG_1404.thumb.JPG.24678fbdd44189efcd7e9e253a5483e8.JPG

Phil Roach

• 1 month later...

Love the Zona! .....Moab/ Allan

Completed Builds:

Virginia Armed Sloop...Model Shipways

Ranger...Corel

Louise Steam Launch...Constructo

Hansa Kogge...Dusek

Yankee Hero...BlueJacket