The product is used to blacken brass, since a lot of material in our kits are made out off britania metal I played around with this chemical.

Turned out beautiful, the final finished metal looks like true wrought iron.

5b0b39a44ba15_brassblack.JPG.ae81abbe20eaba77ee3b7f79c4555375.JPG

After letting it rest for 24 hours it the surface is quite scratch resistant.

Is it the Birchwood Casey Brass Black? If so I have used it and it worked well for me too. But like you point out it needs time to set before it's durable enough to handle.

ohhj guys..... no I understand why some times  I had problems with  Birchwood Casey Brass Black! I wasnt letting it to set! OK thx to you now I know.

Christos

ps. indeed it realy gives a wonderfull true wrough iron look.

9 hours ago, mtaylor said:

I find it curious and interesting that it works on britania metal.  But good that it does.

Mark,

Now I wonder what other materials it will work on.

These blackening agents rely on redox reactions by which either copper carbonate (CuCO3), magnetite (Fe3O4), or selenium oxide (SeO2) are deposited on the metal surface. This would require a electrochemically less stable metal in the alloy. Whether it works for a given alloy probably depends on how much say copper is contained in it.

Posted (edited)

there are different products from birchwood and other producers for various materials.... alu for example.But even for silver pattina and gold.

15125-aluminum-black-3oz-(1).jpg

Edited by MESSIS

Just got some brass black and its working well on my brass, much better looking after using it.

Ive been pouring some out into a small cap and soaking the parts in that, but im wondering if i can keep the used liquid and pour it back into the bottle after soaking parts in it? Or will that ruin the unused stuff in the bottle?