Hello

Hi everyone, very to happy to have found and become a part of such a great site for fellow enthusiasts. Just finished after four years, building a model of HMS Victory by Billings Boats, and have placed a few photos in the finished model section . I used the kit as a basis for attempting to put in as much detail as I could find, including crew members engaged in various acts such as working the guns, swabbing the decks etc,. I've also included lighting throughout the model although you can't see it in these photos. I've been quite lucky in the fact that for a few years my office overlooked HMS Victory, and I was able to go onboard to check things out whenever I felt like it, which was a great advantage. Just about to start HMS Diana by Caldercraft and will be showing a build log as I go along, although it may take me a couple of years to complete, lol.

IMG_2301.JPG

:sign:

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

:sign:

Beautiful model of the Victory 

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Welcome Mark.   I finished the Billings Vic  a short time ago although it was what i called a shortened version i found it a very interesting  build . You have done a superb job on what many including myself have found a very challenging build , mainly i suspect due to the limited instructions ?.  You did have the advantage of having the real thing in your backyard and having visited it a couple of days ago i can only imagine was the best instruction plan possible , but that does not take away from your obvious building skills . Good luck with the Diana and i look forward to your build log .

Cheers Boyd 

On 29/05/2018 at 12:15 PM, davidrasch said:

You do beautiful work! You said you had the opportunity to board Victory to cherck things out. What did you find for example? It would be helpful to the modeling world to read/see about this.

Many thanks Dave, as you know plans are one thing, even good ones, which unfortunately Billings aren’t, as they tend to oversimplify their drawings. I found it very beneficial to actually go onboard and look at the section I was working on, that way I could look at the detail of it. The only thing I couldn’t of course check on was the running and standing rigging as it’s been a few years since it was fully rigged, and it will be a good many years if at all before it is, due to the ships central core crumbling. However, there are of course many good books on her rigging which I’ve fortunately managed to acquire. The only slightly annoying thing I’ve found is that after I finished my model, they’ve since decided to repaint the yellow ochre another colour after during some restoration work peeling back an old section of a bulkhead and finding the original colour, which is more of a pale terracotta or some might even say pink.