How guns were tied to the deck when they were not in use?

Dear All,

I am building the model of the ship "Cannoniera olandese n.2". I have seen plenty of photos of the guns in battle position, but I want to show the guns when they are in "transport" position.

Could you please let me know where can I find some materials on how the guns were tied to the deck when they were not in use. I have some drawings, but they are not clear at all.

Thank you

Edited by Sandor Laza

Hi Sandor,

here a pic from my book " Schiffsmodelle" of Wolfram zu Mondfeld, regarding to non battle tyings of guns......

the barrel is upward and tied contact, face to the bulwark. Breech ropes and pulley are set tight, and additional chocks hinder the wheels from moving...

Perhaps there are different methodes as well, but this is one I found...

Nils

DSCI6747.thumb.JPG.88bd0ef262803b8879b1aa98d8bf2f00.JPG

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

I have see illustrations with the cannon turned sideways and lashed fore and aft to the bulwark. This would seem to provide more stability in a rolling sea but I can't provide a reference offhand.

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

moderator Echo Cross-section build
Admiralty Models Cross-section Build

Finished build
Pegasus, 1776, cross-section

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

Nils; The elusive chocks have suddenly appeared, thanks. Have been looking for some reference to such devices for a long time, common sense and experience at sea indicated, at least to me that such things were needed but scorned when mentioned. As you noted, there were more than one way to secure guns at sea. The one common feature of everyone would be the solid contact and securing to a ship structure to prevent the beginning of the tiniest movement from starting by overdoing the lashings. Having chased a fork lift back and forth across the tank deck of an LST and 365 pound 8" projectiles around the shell deck of gun turrets I have had some experience in what is required to secure for sea.

jud :pirate41: For fun, LST at sea; https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10212023382000737&set=gm.2279674735593413&type=3&ifg=1

You need another way, since the sort of ship is not one conforming to the regular 5th, 4th, or 3rd rates which are mianly build here ... I've lookid into it, but haven't found an answer yet

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Hi Sandor,

I've seen several drawings similar to the one Nils posted although I don't think I've ever seen one of the tackles taking a turn around an axle. I've also seen the chocks between the axles rather than outside, more seaman like IMHO, less chance of being kicked/knocked out.

Greg mentions guns turned side on to the bulwarks, I've seen several models and drawings with this arrangement mainly for signal guns or on expedition ships with reduced armament to make more room on deck, I would not expect to see this on any active warship. Unfortunately I don't remember how they were lashed.

Little awkward getting to my reference library at the moment but if I get a chance I'll have a hunt for you.

Mark D

Mark D

For those whom want to help, please, take a look at the ship Sandor Laza refers to in his initial post. It is a.o. impossible to tie the muzzle to the bulwarks like in Nils' example. The only thing I can think of is side ways to the bulwarks, or tied down to the deck ...

Carl

It's possible that they were secured in the "run out" position.   Many of the French frigates (particularly the 8-pdr and 12-pdr) did not have port covers as we know them but buckler types.  The guns were secured in the run-out position to give more room on the gundeck.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Greetings Sandor;

One other point with cannon which were stowed is that the bore was closed by a tompion being placed in the muzzle. This was a solid timber shape like a filled in bucket,  often with the visible end carved and painted. 

They were standard issue as part of the Gunner's stores.  In the Royal Navy,  'take out your tompions' was the second command given when preparing the guns for use/drill.

I am sure it would be the same in other navies.

All the best,

Mark P

Previously built models (long ago, aged 18-25ish) POB construction. 32 gun frigate, scratch-built sailing model, Underhill plans.

2 masted topsail schooner, Underhill plans.

Started at around that time, but unfinished: 74 gun ship 'Bellona' NMM plans. POB 

On the drawing board: POF model of Royal Caroline 1749, part-planked with interior details. My own plans, based on Admiralty draughts and archival research.

Always on the go: Research into Royal Navy sailing warship design, construction and use, from Tudor times to 1790. 

Member of NRG, SNR, NRS, SMS

HI Sandor,

Having enlarged the pic I notice that the two broadside cannon are not on gun carriages but on what appears to be pivoting slide carriages. Not much scope to stow these for transport as they are fixed to the deck pivot at the front. The stern chase guns could be stowed and lashed against the stern bulwarks I guess. You don't show a pic of the fwd cannon which I expect is a slide mounted or swiveling large bore cannon as this is a gunboat. No idea what would be done there i'm afraid.

Dave :dancetl6:

Must keep in mind, a Naval Gunship of any type or nationality, ancient or modern, only exists to get the guns or weapons to the battle and support them. The rule is, in the way of working the guns, it must move, guns come first, so you put up with losing the space they and their equipment occupy.

jud   :pirate41:

5b1041cb3b8b6_DIRECTFROMCEARCLICK083.thumb.jpg.ad734e0391360731e252df3d36356244.jpg

• 1 month later...

The guns on the slides are carronades. Shorter range with usually larger bore than "long" guns, referred to as "smashers" for their destructive capabilities.  

Cheers, Harley<p 

Under Construction:       USS Curtis Wilbur DDG-54 1/200 by ILoveKit

Completed:                     F-35A 1/48 by Tamiya

USS Atlanta CL-51 1/350 by Very Fire 

Liberty Ship John W. Brown 1/350 by Trumpeter

HMS Spiraea K-08 1/350 

USS Arizona BB-39 1/200 by Trumpeter/Mk1 Design

HMS Sir Gareth 1/350 by Starling Models

USS Missouri BB-63 1945 1/350 by Joy-Yard, 9/11/21

USS Indianapolis CA-35 1945 1/350 by Trumpeter

USS Kidd DD-661, 1945, 1/350, on The Sullivans kit by Trumpeter

USS Alaska CB-1, 1/350, Hobby Boss, Circa 2/1945

Brig Syren 1/64 Model Shipways, Wood

Started,On Hold:     Frigate Confederacy 1/64 Model Shipways, Wood

The first illustration shows the cannon in battery or battle, second in peacetime or travel and the third trips in severe storms.

If you decide on the second option, you should keep in mind that you will lose space on the deck, making it more difficult to work with details.

0.png

Edited by Captain Poison

Completed.... Charles W. Morgan,Sea Horse,USS Constitution,Virginia 1819,San Fransisco II, AL HMS Bounty 1:48

L'Herminione 1:96

Spanish Frigate,22 cannons 18th C. 1:35 scale.Scratch-built (Hull only)

Cutter Cheefull 1806 1:48 (with modifications)

Current Project: Orca (This is a 35" replica of the Orca boat from the movie Jaws)

9 hours ago, SpyGlass said:

Well depends upon the length of the voyage and the size of vessel and the guns of course.

The guns were actually not as fixed as one might think and vessels were equipped to move them.

An important consideration though was the sensible distribution of weight along the vessel

Read Cooks journals - his guns were stored in the hold until into an area where they were likely to be needed.

Out of the way on deck , low down for stability and no danger of them running amuck.

You should also take into account the type of ship, for a merchant ship might have them below, a warrior wouldn't, another aspect to conside are the circumstances a ship sails under (is that English?), entering pirated territory, in war with another "sailing power", etc

Carl