I've not had the opportunity to work with Alaskan yellow cedar, but I did buy a piece to experiment with it a bit, especially since Chuck and Syren are stocking it in billets.  My first impressions are that it is very fine grained, and has a nice yellow-cream color that resembles boxwood.  It's soft, but not as soft as basswood.  I'm interested in other people's experiences with the wood.  What do you use it for?  Does it stain and finish well or is it blotchy like pine can be?  Is it suitable for frames in a POF model?  All answers appreciated!

Chuck: You've probably had the most experience.  Can you weigh in?

Hi Dave,

I have worked with Alaskan Yellow Cedar quite a bit. It is a beautiful wood to work with, but soft. I built a bit of furniture with it decades ago and it always stuck with me how nice it was to work with. It planes like nothing else. It holds an edge well, sands nicely (although with coarser grits it will get furry) and takes stain fairly uniformly. It does not bend nearly as readily as boxwood but maybe I just haven’t figured out the best way to do it. It has a very distinctive smell that many like, others dislike (I’m one of the latter). Your observation that it is a bit harder than basswood is how I’d characterize it. For that reason one has to take care not to mar it using undue clamp pressure. I have decked two models with it and find it perfect for that application since I use my fingers to hold it in place while the glue dries. I love the colour and hue of this wood like no other. 

Regards,

Ian

I certainly must defer to Chuck’s far broader and professional appraisal of AYC. Hereforth I sneak my picture in of my AYC decking of Chuck’s Cheerful. I hope the beautiful hue somehow shows through.

B62D7D4B-2BF8-4C70-B76B-724223DD3661.jpeg

Ian you are doing such a wonderful job on her...please send me some images by PM from time to time anyway.....I would love to see it.  Please take some photos of her so I can see the outboard details.....:)

There's nothing to justify, Ian. Your model is beautiful and we'd all love to follow your progress just as we do the many Swan or other builds.

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

moderator Echo Cross-section build
Admiralty Models Cross-section Build

Finished build
Pegasus, 1776, cross-section

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

• 3 weeks later...

I second...or third and fourth the recommendation about the Alaskan Yellow Cedar.  I like to use it to replicate the yellow look of the ship sides.  Oil finish really brings out the color.  Some black paint on the edges replicates the caulking.

The best part for me is the cedar smell....if you like that sort of thing.

Below is a pic of the "Union" 1792 under construction.  Yellow cedar, ebony and Holly for the different colors.

Yellow Cedar.jpg

Able bodied seaman, subject to the requirements of the service.

"I may very well sink, but I'm damned if I'll Strike!" JPJ

My Pacific Northwest Discovery Series:

On the slipways in the lumberyard

Union, 1792 - 1:48 scale - POF Scratch build

18th Century Longboat - circa 1790 as used in the PNW fur trade - FINISHED

Future Builds (Wish List)

Columbia Redidiva, 1787

HM Armed Tender Chatham, 1788

HMS Discovery, 1789 Captain Vancouver

Santiago, 1775 - Spanish Frigate of Explorer Bruno de Hezeta

Lady Washington, 1787 - Original Sloop Rig

Wonderful work.....beautiful ship model.  I would strongly urge to start a build log for this model if you are still building it.  I for one would love to see more of it.  The cedar looks fabulous.

Thanks Chuck,

Much of the ship was built several years ago before I put it into storage and no pictures were taken to document the building.  I'm coming up on a household move...again....so when I get settled next year I plan on re-starting the build and I'll document my progress.  Its a unique subject completely scratch built and I don't think anyone has ever built her before. 

Until then, I have several pictures in my profile to wet one's appetite.

Fair winds.

Columbia Redidiva, 1787

I'm curious.. how well does it bend?  Steam needed or heavy soaking?  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

You can almost tie planking strips into a knot.  Its very very flexible.  And really strong as well.

Goodie!!!   I've an area that needs a compound curve so I'm ordering.   Needs to be carved abit so this should be fun.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

It also laser cuts like a dream Mark so if you can create the shape and laser cut it....it would be the way to go if its a complex curve.  The beauty for Yellow Cedar in my opinion is that it takes very low power to cut through even 1/4" thick sheets.  I set my cutter for low speed and lowest power to just cut through it so the kerf is the smallest I can get it.  Because of the natural oils in the cedar it doesnt burn all that much so it works out great.

Thanks for the tipc, Chuck.   I hope the others with a laser will also try it.   One question though... how long does it take for the wood to "tone down" on the yellow. I read where you mentioned that it does, but don't recall a time frame.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

It depends on the sheet actually.....but a few weeks.  It doesnt ever entirely go away.  It will stay yellowish as opposed to tan.  The finish you use is important.  Sanding sealer keeps it the lightest and less intense.  Then wipe-on-poly makes it a bit deeper.  Oil based finishes really bring out the deepest color.  I have not tried any waxes however.

Thanks Chuck.   Good.... nay... great info.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Mark,

If you take a look at the pic of my ship “Union” up above about 10 posts you’ll see what it looks like. I used Tung oil on it and it’s sat for about 15 years in a closet. The yellow is nice and warm but not too bright. I used it to approximate the yellow ochre paint that they used on 18th century ships. Either way, what Chuck said. Oils make it a bit darker and poly and sealer a bit lighter. And it sands and carves great with good flexibility in stits. But it will always be yellow, after all, it’s in the name :)

Columbia Redidiva, 1787

Thanks Downer.  That's kind of the look I'm hoping for.  I want to use it for some stern carving work, specifically the carvings just under the quarter galleries.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Just be careful, as it’s pretty soft. Just go slow and the wood should work fine. All else fails you can use boxwood. 

Columbia Redidiva, 1787

Hi Guys, I have carved yellow Cedar for many years and it is wonderful to work with. I haven't had good luck turning it but that's about it. I'm also a little allergic to sanding dust from it, it raises little blisters on the sides of my fingers. Also one should wear a mask when sanding as it may make your nose run,same as red cedar. The other thing I've found is that it is sensitive to light and darkens somewhat when exposed to say,window light. I know this because some of my carvings that had been displayed in store windows had price stickers on them and the area covered by the stickers was lighter than the surrounding wood.

Other than that its great for machining etc. I haven't really tried to bend it. I have a pretty good stash of 4/4 x5" boards I need to use up and I think I'll use em for framing a 3/8 scale Nonsuch.    Bill

Bill, in Idaho

Completed Mamoli Halifax and Billings Viking ship in 2015

Next  Model Shipways Syren

• 1 month later...

I just picked up a whole new load of Yellow Cedar.  I am very happy to see that so many model builders have been trying it out and I think they will be quite surprised at how wonderful it is to work with.  Especially with the price of boxwood going through the roof and so much poor quality boxwood on the market at the moment.

To give everyone an idea of how Alaskan Cedar ages, the below pic is of a ship I started in 2001. I then put it away in 2003 in a box.  No sunlight on it, but it does have a light coat of Tung oil.  You can see it has aged to a soft golden yellow.  Very pleasing.

The rest of the wood is ebony and holly.

Let’s just say the ship has “weathered in frame” as they used to do.  It’s about time it made it back to the lumberyard and onto the shipways to get finished. 😊

2D0BE544-D7D7-4946-875C-0D8A79DC52ED.jpeg

Columbia Redidiva, 1787

• 1 month later...

That looks absolutely fantastic Dowmer.  Very nice!

Any good sources on where to buy AYC?  As someone mentioned above, it looks like a really nice way of getting yellow ochre by painting with wood.

Edited by Landlubber Mike

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Thanks Mike!  I love using wood colors to replicate painted colors when possible. 

Columbia Redidiva, 1787

I currently offer milled sheets and strips at Syren.  I dont know many other who do.  But most exotic lumber places stock it in larger billets.  The Medway longboat posted below is made entirely from AYC except for the molding strip which is boxwood.sizecomparison.jpg

https://www.syrenshipmodelcompany.com/milled-lumber.php#!/Alaskan-Yellow-Cedar-Ship-Model-Wood-from-the-Syren-Woodshed/c/28580529/offset=0&sort=normal