Rory Manton

Good Morning, from Somerset.

Hello everybody , my name is Rory and I’m an addict plastic aircraft builder who has strayed into the world of wood. I was told about this site by a Mr James Hatch and though I’d swing by and pick some brains, ideas and tips to help with my first build. Hopefully , in time , I will be able to give something back to the forum. This is what I’m building at the moment, it is my first attempt and I’m enjoying it immensely. Helpful criticism is always welcome. Please excuse the phone photos, I’m worse at photography than I am at models.

233E4267-6C40-410B-9A05-7C0636A4A13E.jpeg

12613048-8605-4AA5-BB6E-2297A1A52723.jpeg

FA3460BA-5A41-4088-AD4E-C965E7C8DC26.jpeg

Welcome to the site.... I've only been a member for just over a year but have found it to be a great resource for all things nautical modelling. :piratebo5::cheers:

Cheers from Sydney Australia...... Fernando

Hi Rory,

welcome to the site, enjoy your stay and have much fun with wooden modelboat building.....

Nils

Hello Rory ( some of my ancestors came from Yeovil, and settled in NZ) - love the photos , and trust you 'll enjoy model building with NRG MSW. welcome  to this forum.  Paul

Welcome to a 'candy store' for modelers who love their hobby/passion. Better than Willy Wonka. Don't neglect surfing the net for websites run by model kit manufacturers/sellers. There's lots to look at. BTW, your build looks good. I love the modeler's mess around it. Reminds me of home.

Welcome Rory. I noticed you appear to have used  half hitches to tie off your rigging. For a more realistic look try seizing them instead. There are several good videos on YouTube that show you how to seize. This will enhance your already well built model. You are doing a great job.

Welcome Rory , i,m not long back from a visit to Yeovil , i have a son workin there , lovely country . you will get any questions answered here so just ask , 

Have fun,, Boyd.

3 hours ago, Jim Rogers said:

Welcome Rory. I noticed you appear to have used  half hitches to tie off your rigging. For a more realistic look try seizing them instead. There are several good videos on YouTube that show you how to seize. This will enhance your already well built model. You are doing a great job.

Thanks for the info, it’s one of the things I was going to ask about as I’m none to happy with the look myself, it’s an old hang over from being a Royal Engineer.

1 hour ago, shihawk said:

Welcome Rory , i,m not long back from a visit to Yeovil , i have a son workin there , lovely country . you will get any questions answered here so just ask , 

Have fun,, Boyd.

Where in Westland does he work?

Welcome to the site, Rory! Good to have you with us. 

Welcome Rory to this wonderful site. There are some fantastic modelers in here and there is always someone willing to extend some positive advice when needed! 

Greetings, Rory, from a MSW member on the other side of the Bristol Channel!  Welcome to the club!
That's a neat job you're doing with the Mantua "Amalfi" kit, and it looks as though you're not far from finishing it.  Have you had any thoughts on what you'd like to do next?

1 hour ago, probablynot said:

Have you had any thoughts on what you'd like to do next?

Hi, yes, not far from finishing, once I figure out a few bits and bobs and how to do some things. I saw that one company had recently released a Scottish fishing boat that has peaked my fancy but I can’t for the life of me remember who it was!

Do you mean this one from Amati/Victory Models?

Should be released very shortly.

35102358_1814593331895376_5683349443328344064_o.jpg