Requesting feedback for future MSW Group Projects

Quick little Poll about future MSW projects - multiple choice, you can select more than one per question  

118 members have voted

1. 1. Would you prefer that

• All of the group builds be scratch projects only with a plan download....
    • Or would you prefer that some were semi scratch where a starter package was offered or other elements for folks who dont have the tools yet.
    • Or would you like to see an NRG sanctioned complete kit for a group build
  2. 2. Would you prefer

• That all of the projects were plank on frame
    • That we also create some entry level/intermediate level plank on bulkhead only projects
    • Possibly solid hull or made from lifts
  3. 3. Would you like to see group projects developed for

• Smaller complete vessels and boats only like a schooner or long boat or cutter
    • cross sections
    • bow sections
    • stern sections
    • certain fittings for very small projects like doing a double capstan or making a brodie stove
    • Half model
    • I like larger frigates and liners and have no interest in smaller subjects
  4. 4. Do you mind paying

• A small fee similar to the Triton project for a plan download only
    • I would pay for starter package in the $25 - $50 range
    • I would pay for a starter package in the $50 - $100 range
    • I would pay for a starter package in the $100 - $150 range
    • I would pay for a printed set of plans only for a scratch project in the $40-$75 price range
    • I would NOT pay to join a group project but if they were free I would join up
  5. 5. Would you commit to joining a group build and start a build log for one of the projects listed below that are available right now or within a few months. Six commitments needed to start a group build.

• Group project specifically designed to teach planking techniques
    • Entirely scratch POB project for the Schooner sultana 1/4" scale with only plans made available.
    • Semi scratch POB project for an American Gunboat 1812 with a Bulkhead starter kit only. Scratch everything else.
    • Larger frigate like the HMS Winchelsea with starter package and mini-kits available.
    • None of the above...
    • A new POF cross section or Expanded Triton Cross section with laser cut parts for folks without tools

Chuck,  I would be up for the Winnie.  John

Member:

Connecticut Marine Model Society

Nautical Research Guild

Model Ship World

"So we beat on, boats against the current, bourne back ceaselessly into the past" F. Scott Fitzgerald - The Great Gatsby

"If at first you don’t succeed.......skydiving is probably not for you”

Make sure to cast your votes and fill out the poll....remember we need at least six to start an actual group.  When I am ready to roll out either project of mine I will ask again but there other subjects listed in the poll as well. Anything new the NRG sanctions will be a while so feel free to talk about the subjects that you would like to see.   So far we dont really have a consensus on any one subject that the NRG would pursue.   Although we have many votes for a ster section......

So I will be sure to talk about the many choices when I get together with the board members for a talk about it.  And to all of you who took the poll.....THANK YOU!!!!

Actually I think it would be easier.  There is a lot of scratch building in that Connie and the design is a little dated.  Still a great kit but requires a lot of bashing in my opinion.   I cant recall how large the hull is on the connie but the scale of the Winnie also makes it easier.  The hull is about 36" on the Winnie and she has 28 bulkheads that are really close together.  So planking should be easier.  I believe the Connie has less than 20.  I am a little biased though so you might want to take that into consideration....there are many challenging aspects to the Winnie like shaping the bollard timbers, headrails... but other than a few of these instances its a pretty standard POB project with more modern design concepts.   I would rank both as advanced level POB kits.   Its just a matter of which one you want to build more.

I still think its too large and involved a project to be a group project but hey ....a lot of you have told me you disagree.  But it will take years and not a couple of months like the smaller subjects we are talking about.  Look at Rusty's barge build log.  He is doing a fantastic job on it and he is just about done.  I think it took him only a few months.  That is the sort of thing I think would make a better group project....limited to about maybe a year of build time.  But that is just my opinion.  

Thanks Chuck. I absolutely agree that a small project of a year or less is the better choice. It might me something that could be built while working on a larger project at the same time. 

The heart is happiest when the head and the hands work together.

Al

Current Builds:

HMS Halifax 1/48 POF Lumberyard Kit

Model Shipways Glad Tidings

Acoustic Guitar Build FINISHED

On 6/14/2018 at 4:50 PM, Chuck said:

Feel free to point out a few or even contact me directly via PM if you have a specific idea or ice boat design concept.....oh wait I am getting ahead of myself.

Chuck mentioned "ice boat design concept" in his original post.  Does anyone have any interest in ice boat model(s) in general ? MikeR and I each have a build log of two of the many styles of ice boats; there are a number of other designs, from Arrow, Nite, Scooter (Great South Bay Long Island), Skeeters, to name a few.  If anyone has an interest post a comment below.

As requested

DN Class

013_10.JPG.55cbe24b01addb5d3bded13a322d170e.JPG026_23.JPG.2f9cb38fcea62196fdd068a0a5d6938f.JPG

Great South Bay (Long Island NY) Scooter

IMG_3179.JPG.13de955222418a639cf6dd0ba438b88e.JPG

Hudson River Gaff Rigged Stern Steerer

IMGP2443.JPG.c3800cc61bcd41531ca9512308a797cb.JPG

Those are the only photos I can find in my collection at present.

Photos of other classes are subject to Copyright protection so I will have to post links to those photos.

Skeeters : https://www.google.com/search?q=skeeter+ice+boat&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=XAEZo-i04vJO5M%3A%2ClZ4l0pEwPB4cYM%2C_&usg=__9qzC5Eb-5AB5H7C3yzTOrDZs6XE%3D&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwih7Pqj9dbbAhVR2VMKHdPlAy4Q9QEIPTAE#imgrc=XAEZo-i04vJO5M

20 hours ago, Chuck said:

Probably Not Chuck....The cross section is one project that I work on a little at a time.  Right now my priority is the Winnie.  The longboat build is something I am putting together for my local club as a an actual "group build" that a bunch of us will take part in.   So those are two I am finalizing first..

The cross section will proceed, but slowly, as its more involved and the plans arent even fully developed yet.   It will get there though.  

I'm sad.  :(

Chuck Seiler
San Diego Ship Modelers Guild
Nautical Research Guild

Current Build:: Colonial Schooner SULTANA (scratch from Model Expo Plans), Hanseatic Cog Wutender Hund, John Smith Shallop
Completed:  Missouri Riverboat FAR WEST (1876) Scratch, 1776 Gunboat PHILADELPHIA (Scratch 1/4 scale-Model Shipways plans)

Update on ice boats photos:

Herreshoff designed ice boat - only one he ever designed - note the chain and sprocket steering

IMG_3193.thumb.JPG.a2a1dcce2469ac575967ed55368c149c.JPGIMG_3194.JPG.a14300b64979ffbf5d1737c7d828141d.JPGIMG_3195.thumb.JPG.5809c69e946b6491670e0504003f229a.JPG

Lateen rigged Hudson River Stern Steerer:  Vixen (1870-ish)

Note for Scott - this ice yacht is rigged the same as FDR's Hawk.

IMG_3309.thumb.JPG.616b93f6ee593745b514aef39ea4a0e2.JPG

That's all the photos I can find for now.

Edited by Jack12477

I have been watching the progress on this topic closely including the poll.  Based on the results so far I would like to propose something.   I was also reading past topics about potential group projects and had a thought.  We had/have about 40 build logs for the current tiny longboat kit from MS.  That proves it is a popular subject and one that doesnt take very long to do.  With this newer larger version on the boards,   I think we can use such a vessel to make it interesting and educational for even the folks that have already built that first version.

I would like to suggest that we use this kit as a way to explore and teach some techniques on sail making.  The longboat only has three sails so it would not be a very daunting task.  There are many way to make ship model sails but I prefer one over most.   I also have someone in mind who is already making sails for his frigate using the same techniques.  

I would like to formally propose that we make this the subject of our next group project with the "piggy-backed" bonus of creating a sail making "tech-session" for it.  All materials can be easily obtained and offered along with the parts to build the actual longboat.  

If you read the other topic on possible group projects and builds....sail making ranked very very high on the list of skills many of you would like to try....this may be the perfect little boat to try it on.

What do you think???

MedwayLongboat.jpg

longboatsails1.jpg

sails.JPG

large.jpg

It will take a few months to finalize all of this but once its ready I will set up an area.  But first I really need to know that we have six or committed to take part in this group project.  So please reply here with a definite "yes" if you will commit to this longboat/sail making group project.

Sounds good to me, Chuck.  I did make sails for my Willie Bennett from scratch, wasn't too daunting a task but I would love to see/learn other methods.

Count me in Chuck. I would love to learn sailmaking. Maybe it can include furled and unfurled sails.

Edited by alde

The heart is happiest when the head and the hands work together.

Al

Current Builds:

HMS Halifax 1/48 POF Lumberyard Kit

Model Shipways Glad Tidings

Acoustic Guitar Build FINISHED

44 minutes ago, alde said:

Maybe it can include furled and unfurled sails.

Al, when I did the furled sails on my Willie Bennett, I made the sails full size (scale full size), raised them to full height on mast, then slowly lowered them onto the boom folding them as I went (same way we fold the sails on the ice boats at end of day), then tied scale rope around them to secure them to the boom.  Did the same with the jib and club foot. Furling a square rigged might be a little different, don't know.

I am sure we can try a few things.....that is what will make this group well worthwhile to create.  Hopefully we get six members at least before I finish and am ready cut parts. :)  I will start a build log soon at any rate.  So folks can see how it develops.

Chuck, sorry if I missed it but would the long boat project be scratch or with a sort of basic kit?

I'd like to participate but It's tough for me to pull away from my Confederacy.

Thanks for all your efforts to keep this hobby what it an be.

Regards, Harley

Cheers, Harley<p 

Under Construction:       USS Curtis Wilbur DDG-54 1/200 by ILoveKit

Completed:                     F-35A 1/48 by Tamiya

USS Atlanta CL-51 1/350 by Very Fire 

Liberty Ship John W. Brown 1/350 by Trumpeter

HMS Spiraea K-08 1/350 

USS Arizona BB-39 1/200 by Trumpeter/Mk1 Design

HMS Sir Gareth 1/350 by Starling Models

USS Missouri BB-63 1945 1/350 by Joy-Yard, 9/11/21

USS Indianapolis CA-35 1945 1/350 by Trumpeter

USS Kidd DD-661, 1945, 1/350, on The Sullivans kit by Trumpeter

USS Alaska CB-1, 1/350, Hobby Boss, Circa 2/1945

Brig Syren 1/64 Model Shipways, Wood

Started,On Hold:     Frigate Confederacy 1/64 Model Shipways, Wood

Count me in too Chuck. My only issue will be having enough time to keep up with the group - that four letter thing call WORK keeps getting in the way!

Edited by gjdale

Thanks for letting me know.   It will be a few months before its finalized but yes it will be at least a starter package with framing and keel.  This longboat is much more simplified than something like the barge.  It doesnt have nearly the complexity.  I can produce a starter package very easily but like the barge I can also produce a full kit version.  I plan on pre spiling all of the planking and providing laser cut parts for every single part of the long boat just like the barge but in reality they can be made from scratch if templates are provided.

Chuck

Not for frames.....I wont place the frame drawings on the plans for obvious reasons.  In two weeks you would see a pirated kit on Aliexpress......and you would suddenly see the pirated kits being built on another forum with no mention or whisper about its actual origin.  For my own project designs moving forward you will always need to purchase a starter package at a minimum.......it is unfortunately the only way to protect yourself these days...and you are really never fully protected.

Count me in for a kit version

Cheers, Harley<p 

Under Construction:       USS Curtis Wilbur DDG-54 1/200 by ILoveKit

Completed:                     F-35A 1/48 by Tamiya

USS Atlanta CL-51 1/350 by Very Fire 

Liberty Ship John W. Brown 1/350 by Trumpeter

HMS Spiraea K-08 1/350 

USS Arizona BB-39 1/200 by Trumpeter/Mk1 Design

HMS Sir Gareth 1/350 by Starling Models

USS Missouri BB-63 1945 1/350 by Joy-Yard, 9/11/21

USS Indianapolis CA-35 1945 1/350 by Trumpeter

USS Kidd DD-661, 1945, 1/350, on The Sullivans kit by Trumpeter

USS Alaska CB-1, 1/350, Hobby Boss, Circa 2/1945

Brig Syren 1/64 Model Shipways, Wood

Started,On Hold:     Frigate Confederacy 1/64 Model Shipways, Wood

I'm very interested.

A longboat at the same scale as the barge will be an interesting project and for me the opportunity to learn new techniques.

If the distance is not a problem, I'm in, preferably for a kit version.

Jean-Paul

'You are not carving a bear with a chain saw here folks',

Chuck Passaro, ´Queen Anne Style Barge´ manual of instructions

Current builds :

Finished build :

Next on list :

• Santa Maria boat - Korabel (Ukraine) - 1:24