Hello from Croatia

Blacky

Greetings!

My name is Ivan and I am new to ship modeling. I have done a dozen plastic models so I have some skills but not with wood. Hope I will get some help from you when I find myself stuck. I have just ordered the Endeavour from Occre as my first model and I am very excited. Can't wait to begin my adventure. I know this kit is not recommended for the beginner but I think I can handle it.

Hello Ivan, 

Welcome to MSW, as well I started with Artesania Latina  HMS Endeavour it was a retirement gift from my wife. The problem with this gift was that i didn't have a clue from were to start. I left the gift on the box for 3 years as I went back to work, after that i had another look at my gift and started building the model. I gave up 5 times.

My "Admiral" encouraged and supported me during the building stages and it took me 5 winters to complete. It is a Cat 4 difficulty therefore is not easy. Basically you will need to adapt,persevere, with lots of patience and innovation and you will complete the model. You will find challenges in building the kit, however skills you will acquire as you go along don't worry enjoy it is a fantastic hobby. I would recommend 2 books : Frank Mastini's Ship Modelling Simplified, and Lennarth Petersson's Rigging Period Ship Models. Good luck.

Renato                

:sign:

Good luck with your first wooden shipmodel

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Welcome to MSW Ivan,

Good luck with your first wooden ship build. you will love it and if you find yourself stuck at any point in the build will get plenty of help from the members of this forum.

Paul

In work

Amati-rms-titanic-1912-1250

Unfinished kit

Revell Container-ship-colombo-express

Finished

AL -  King of the Mississippi

AL-Sanson

Wow, i didn' expect such support on my introduction. Thank you guys.

@James H  Is it ok if to put here few pictures of my plastic models just to see what quality I am aiming for?

@loupy45 Thanks for the book recommendations. I also abuse internet heavily when looking for references and instructions.

@davidrasch Found it!

Hello Ivan,

Welcome to MSW.   Wonderful work on the armor and the weathering looks fantastic.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Ivan is this not an amazing venue for modelers? By the responses so far you have reached out to nearly the other side of the world. Welcome and very nice work on the plastic modeling. If you have not touched base with the IPMS (plastic modelers) do so, many are in your league. We have a chapter here, near Rochester NY.

Joe

Thank you guys again.I can't wait to start modeling. The kit should arrive by the end of the week. I feel happy like a kid again. 

Right now I am trying to figure out what tools do I need, what method is the best for bending planks, what glue to use, how to protect the wood...

It is a good feeling starting to model in wood for the first time. You will find a lot of the tools you use for plastic modelling will work just fine with wood.

Most of the extra's you buy would be power tools such as a dremmel. And a headband magnifier will be a huge asset. (If you don't have these already)

There are a few plank benders on the market and i have used most of them and don't like any of them. If i need to bend wood i find a good soaking in warm water and bending by hand following the run of the bend or using the handle of one of the larger paint brushes or even bending round a tea cup  works just as well as any of the plank benders.

Paul

In work

Amati-rms-titanic-1912-1250

Unfinished kit

Revell Container-ship-colombo-express

Finished

AL -  King of the Mississippi

AL-Sanson