US Brig Syren by smarra - Model Shipways - 1:64 - First wooden ship build

Completed the starboard planking above the wales.

Satisfied with how the bow came out.

Generally the planning looks ok, not great.

Could have done a better job around the gun and sweep ports. I'll make a jig for the other side so that they are more evenly spaced. I guess this side will be to the back when displayed.

IMG_6692.thumb.JPG.934388727e7af75f4eee53fbb31c2a55.JPG

IMG_6691.thumb.JPG.d185809af09170f5c03d02dd31caf637.JPG

IMG_6690.thumb.JPG.8f69ed48ec1901d06ae3adfada5d1810.JPG

IMG_6621.JPG

IMG_6622.JPG

Edited by smarra
remove pictures added by mistake.

10 hours ago, HIPEXEC said:

She's looking good and not so fragile now

I think I spent most of the time so far on this project glueing the gun port sills in again after breaking while sanding. Still need to sand off 1/32+, but yes it is a lot stronger than before, not breaking every minute.

Progress will slow on the build now, between my younger son's college visits, football, and lacrosse prospect camps and my other 2 sons moving to Quincy Massachusetts today my time will be limited for the next week or so.

At this point, just reading up on a few books on planking I ordered before continuing on.

I have already read what is on this site and a few youtube videos.

Since this is my first time doing this, trying to make sure I understand exactly how to proceed before I just plunge forward and paint myself into a corner.

• 2 weeks later...

Laid out the planking fan for all the bulkheads and have 4 bands marked.

Next step is to install temporary battens to mark the bands.

From what I have gathered so far the dividing of the hull into bands is to keep errors from creeping up. That way corrections can be made in the band you are working in.

Progress has been slow and will continue to be slow until my son's football season is over.

IMG_6734.thumb.JPG.cd7585bde1f925adf37f6d0a7131590e.JPGIMG_6738.thumb.JPG.ae3c0d6cb18c21fc1f91eb21f57547f3.JPG

On 8/15/2018 at 7:31 PM, Y.T. said:

Not quite so. The bands are required as planks in each band will be identical shape. You will cut to shape all band planks in one shot by taping them together side by side. Small plane or grinding wheel will do. Plank shapes in different bands are completely different shape.

Its beginning to come together in my mind now. Thanks.

I have the bands marked off on 1 side.

It seems to look pretty good to me. The smallest taper at the bow looks to be ~3/32

If someone sees something not quite right I'd appreciate the response.

I know I could just plank it and use filler on it since it will be covered with copper plates anyway, but I'd really like to take the time to learn this new skill.

IMG_6739.thumb.JPG.8a85ea682dc06bc70f752ad77ebfbbfe.JPGIMG_6740.thumb.JPG.ec5c6554f4874a7bff01245b188191c8.JPGIMG_6741.thumb.JPG.60c6844f65cd8939149af9766ecd01c7.JPG

From those angles it looks okay. Check it out from several angles and take some time with it. Your eyes will tell you if there is anything really wonky. 

You will likely have a little more space per plank at the stern than at the bow. 3/32" is 6 inches at your scale and that should be okay for the smallest width. 

Russ

• 2 weeks later...

Working from the top down is normal practice.  You're doing well so far!

Edited by Duncbe

1 hour ago, Jim Rogers said:

Nice planking job, you’ll get  the counter looking right. Just a little filler and sanding. A lot of it may be covered by copper tape.

That is what I was hoping.

If not covered by the copper tape, it will be painted black where a little filler would not be noticeble.

For my first planking job, I'm pleased with the overall results.

I was fearing a much worse outcome being my first attempt.

30 minutes ago, Y.T. said:

Planking looks pretty good. Now it is time for leveling all this off with half round file.

BHRB10-v2-a.jpg

I guess, I'll need to go out shopping, I don't have many wood working tools. I just a have some micro files that I used to shape the planks.

Go to your local Beauty Supply store and pick up some Emory boards that they use in Nail Salons. They are wide, washable and different grits. The grits are designated by color. Black center is like a 100 grit, Blue center 180 grit and yellow is 220. Much gentler than a metal file

Regards,

Jim Rogers

Damn the Torpedoes , Full speed ahead.   Adm David Farragut.

Thanks for the advice Jim.

I had both the black and blue one in the house.

After 5 minutes using the black followed by the blue one it looks much better already.

The sharp bend near the counter that was there is now all smoothed out.

Looks like a little bit filler and it will all blend in nicely.

IMG_6811.thumb.JPG.42c2c53335aaedde1612879422f67e77.JPGIMG_6812.thumb.JPG.a15275b429e778cc17a1bee32f496b5a.JPG