Tying Off Standing Rigging.

Good evening all, I have a very basic question to ask and I’m sure it’s been asked on the forum before but as I am unsure of the correct name for the bits a forum search hasn’t helped so I will apologise in advance.

I have just started the rigging on my fishing boat  but I can’t get the standing rigging to hold tension as the brass eyes/pins that go through the gunnels keep pulling out.

How can I prevent that from happening?

Thanks in advance 

Rory

15 minutes ago, Rory Manton said:

Good evening all, I have a very basic question to ask and I’m sure it’s been asked on the forum before but as I am unsure of the correct name for the bits a forum search hasn’t helped so I will apologise in advance.

I have just started the rigging on my fishing boat  but I can’t get the standing rigging to hold tension as the brass eyes/pins that go through the gunnels keep pulling out.

How can I prevent that from happening?

Thanks in advance 

Rory

Good day Rory.... drill and glue your eyes/pins at an angle to the standing riggings..... once fully in, the eyes/pins wont show the angle....it has always work fine with me....

Raymond

If you make your own eyebolts by twisting wire around a cylindrical object you get the benefit of being able to determine the size of the eyebolt ( most kit-supplied eyebolts are very large) AND the shank of your eyebolt, being made of twisted wire, has more texture and will grip the wood better than the typical nickel or brass plated kit supplied eyebolts which have a very slick nonpourous surface that is difficult to glue.

Niagara USS Constitution 

If you're using the pre-formed eyebolts, I like to slice the shank with an x-acto knife (cutting away from the eye). This creates a little 'spur' at the knife cut that will slide into the hole but won't pull out (without some effort). You don't have to cut much-enough to displace a little of the metal.

Different adhesives will help. Angling the eyebolt in the deck works. Or, as Frankie suggested, making your own.

Hope these suggestions help.

Harvey