Scottish Maid by glennreader – Artesania Latina – Scale 1/64

This is just a small update, because there has not been too much done since my last update. First, I have finished planking the second side of the hull up to the level of the false deck.

p17a.thumb.JPG.704500b31e9c80231b6c7ff3b4b64696.JPG

I have finished the initial rough sanding but still need to work my way down through finer grades.

I have done the tree nailing on about 1/3 of the first side. In the following picture you should be able to see one of the rows contains the ends of some tree nails sticking out. Those forward of that have been done and those aft are just holes.

p17b.thumb.JPG.c0056bae929ee6a7a1acb36c6627f8ce.JPG

There are about 1060 to do each side. At the current rate that is about another 6-8 weeks work. I hope to find some more time to speed that up, it is not the most enjoyable of tasks. I managed to speed it up a bit when I realised I could use a sharpener for 2mm leads to make the points on the wood I am using for the tree nails, but I am still only getting about 50 done each session. Since I took the above picture I have done the next row of 23, which is all I have done so far today.

p17c.JPG.d27a793d527088d2ddbf460c0870f254.JPG

While doing this I will also start to prepare the materials needed to plank the deck and make the bulwarks. The planking for the bulwarks will be from the same wood as the hull planking, bit it should be narrower and thinner. I have some lighter wood to use for the deck, I think it is Castillo Boxwood, but it is not too hand and I am not 100% certain. I will use some 1/8" basswood I have for the bulwark stanchions and the cover plank.

Overall I am happy with the way this is turning out. I know the second side is turning out better than the first side, but I am using this project to try  to do things I have not done before. I would be disappointed if the second side was not an improvement. This is also a reflection of the time I want to spend on this model, I look at this as a step forward not a life's work.

That's all for now, might manage a few more tree nails before I call it a day.

Glenn

Current Builds

Scottish Maid, V108 Torpedo boat

Future Builds

Snake (Caldercraft)

Previous builds

HMS Shark (Sergal), Sirene (Coral), Armed Pinnace (Panart), Etoile Schooner (Billings)

looking very good Glenn........some folks simply use a darker filler for tree nails,  but I have seen a few do it in the method.   gonna look great when you get 'er all done  :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

• 5 months later...

Hi Glenn,

came accroos your thread, being attracted by the strange scale you mentioned. Kudos, you are only the second person on the web I have found who measured the kit and came to the same conclusion: the scale is totally off.

Not a suprise, considering Artesania Latina "reputation" , still not nice. And I admit, this prevents me from buying the kit, seeing 1/48-1/50 as a must.

Nevertheless, am keen on seeing the progress on this beautiful ship!

Regards

Juraj

"A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor."

Completed: Smuggler

Hello Glenn, this kit is in my collection, too. So your work with the kit is highly interesting - in particular your view on MacGregor (standing in my shelf beside "Tea Clippers". I have got the Hovard I. Chapelle book  "Search for Speed under Sail" choosen as my reference - but since the baroque ships came across my way everything else stood still.

So I look foreward to push the AL-kit in the Spontaneous Ship Project slot later on.

Thanks for your interesting information und informative illustration.

"Let's add every day 1/2 hour of

modelship building to our

projects' progress..."

Take care!

Christian Heinrich

OverTheWaves.jpg.534bd9a459123becf821c603b550c99e.jpg

simple, true and inpretentious motto of ROYAL LOUIS, 1668

Sunking's mediter. flagship most decorated ocean-going ship 

Ships on build:

SAINT PHILIPPE, 1693: 

1st rang French 90-gun ship - Lavente flagship (based on Heller SR - 1/92 & scratch in 1/64) 

TONNANT, 1693: 

1st rang French 90-gun ship - sister of SAINT PHILIPPE (mock-up/test-object for S.P. - scratch in 1/64) 

Projects in planing:

L'AURORE, 1766:

French Pleasure Corvette (after Ancre plans - scatch in 1/64)

Some Spantaneous Short Term Projects

Hello,

I log in for the first time In 6 months (has it really been that long) and find a couple of recent messages, coincidence! I have been very busy with other things (gardening, decorating, …) and it does not look like there will be any let up until the new year, at the earliest. Everything is put away in boxes.

Yes, I was really annoyed about the scale of the kit. Before purchasing (by mail order) I thought it might be out by a small amount, but when I realised it was out by so much and effectively they were just lying about the scale I was really annoyed. They cannot be ignorant of the fact. What I do not understand is why do they do it. I would not think it would make much if any difference to their sales to market it as 1/64 instead of 1/50. I thought long and hard before deciding to continue and build the model. Especially as I had always meant to go my own way with regard to decoration, sail plan and rigging. The kit is very much based on the drawing of the ship in dock being unloaded, which is totally conjectural.

I had planned on displaying it alongside the Etoile, both at the same scale, almost the same size. to show the development of that type of ship in the relatively short period between there construction. But alas not possible now.

I am tempted to linger and have a look at other projects I was following, but alas time calls. Look forward to getting back to work on the model. Keeps me going through all those jobs in the garden (I am the landscaper my wife is the gardener).

Glenn

Current Builds

Scottish Maid, V108 Torpedo boat

Future Builds

Snake (Caldercraft)

Previous builds

HMS Shark (Sergal), Sirene (Coral), Armed Pinnace (Panart), Etoile Schooner (Billings)

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...