Tecko

ADLIB-1, a SHIP of a different kind.

Spaceship made from whatever materials come my way. Made either from junk or bought items (such as electronics, figurines, etc).

Scale is set to 1/150 by the plastic figurines to be used.

The ship will have an interior view.

Don't know anything else about it. Making up my own plans as I go along.

Purpose? To liberate my creativity without imposed restrictions by someone else's plans.

Scrap PVC drainage pipe for main hull.

LIxO1S0.jpg

My first overall display plan. This may change into something else.

qXC4Jpm.png

Thank you @RichardG, @Canute, and @mtaylor for visiting this build.

Found some other bits which inspired me to use as some sort of propulsion system. 

A roadside reflector, PC cooling fan, transformer from old TV, and a large knitting needle.

EwzF5Xf.jpg

Both reflector and fan body would fit nicely into a piece of 90 mm PVC pipe. So the propulsion system, whatever it will be, will fit in that pipe.

KsEBgZF.jpg

The 90 mm pipe will have to fit in the 150 mm main body pipe.

Ekh25Bu.jpg

To me, it's a start. At least I now know where the fore and aft sections are of the ship's hull.

Thank you @roach101761@RichardG, @Canute, and @mtaylor for following.

8 minutes ago, roach101761 said:

Peter

This will be interesting.  Looking forward to the end result.

Thanks Phil.

I am interested too, to see how it will turn out. But I must warn you, this is a huge build which is competing time with other builds on the workbench. I just hope to live that long to see it finished. ;)

Playing around with inserting LEDs into the Perspex rod.

NY2HZvz.jpg

Just experimenting with Red, Green, Yellow, and Orange LEDs. Searching for the right effect.

yY2FYR9.jpg

Made a simple GIF to show what it may look like in arcing/flickering mode.

qVmPlW5.gif

Thank you @Canute and @mtaylor for your 'likes'.

Trying to solder the LEDs in a retro space fashion.

fIcBrm7.jpg

TsQBCY7.jpg

There are four LEDs on left end of rod. They are Red, Green, Blue, and White. Their control panel labeling, on a rotary switch, is 23%, 50%, 75%, and 100% respectively.

There are four LEDs on right side of rod. They are tw Orange, and two Yellow. They are labeled on a toggle switch 'LOW' and 'HIGH' respectively.

What that means is up to you.

Thank you @mtaylor, and @Canute for your likes.

Cutting out the hull for interior views.

azZCz5q.jpg

QlJiWJz.jpg

Adding a Thruster nozzle (PVA glue nozzle) with an Orange LED for a taillight.

Made a card cover for wiring of fan motor and LED.

vsKtYao.jpg

Loosely assembling the reflector, fan, and nozzle into the 90 mm PVC pipe.

JLh6KOr.jpg

Fan is operating in below photographs.

MSJ6EFQ.jpg

Thank you @lmagna, @mtaylor, and @Canute for your 'likes'.

Added a LED strip between reflector and fan. It was too bright, so I dimmed it down with a 100 ohm 2 watt resistor. Now has a hot-warm glow to it.

eOZqCU2.jpg

gE2N2cH.jpg

PSvCi5L.jpg

The light penetrates the bulkhead. Looks good to me. Will use it to the model's advantage.

Bottom photo shows how bright it gets without the resistor.

8fxlxD0.jpg

the use of tin foil should dampen the light filtering through......then again,  I would think that painting the interior black would serve the same purpose.  the interior could be then painted over with another color to hide the black ;)    interesting project.......the parts seem to be fitting together without much fuss.

Tecko and Canute like this

Boat Trip ,

July 4th to Horn Island a barrier Island off the Mississippi Coast. All started well loaded family members on the Zephyr (brothers boat) he just recovered from reconstructive shoulder surgery, today he was passenger only. Wives, children, grandchildren son-in-law a truly motley crew. For those of you getting long in the tooth it reminded me of Hitchcock's (LIFEBOAT with Tallulah Bankhead a good ole girl from Alabama then referred to as a Starlet).

Son-in- law granddaughter

crew.thumb.jpg.9aa5c3a1a0e36e893d1de0284497b12d.jpg

Getting ready to depart

departing.thumb.jpg.4bac84bb8bc1ff30efc64ec62b63800e.jpg

Daughter and niece I get the hair at least no nose bobs or rings in the lip or pierced tongue

crew1.thumb.jpg.9458c8432e8f4cf914bd28b195593b95.jpg

Ships dog to repel boarders

5b3f72be79103_shipsdogsboarders.thumb.jpg.b555814e1dc5a2895608f5a57f6f8e54.jpg

Finally under way me captain

outbound2.thumb.jpg.43fb3b4c29c53d52d176e71f9687bc03.jpg

Beautiful day calm seas light breeze, never ceases to  amaze me.

0704180928d_resized.thumb.jpg.256b4847730a26d7ddec6130df4b676d.jpg

Halfway to the Island generator lugged down and stopped, would not restart. In about 15 minutes without the A/C everybody down below in the main cabin were racing up the ladder to get into cooler air (cooler?) cabin with A/C 72 without shot up to 104. Deck temp. 96. Continued on. In about another 15 minutes port engine quit (was this going to be the 3 hour tour Gilligan

where are you.)

Finally 45 minutes later threw out the hook and had a charged conversation with the crew who was becoming hostile heat does that to folks. I bit the bullet commanded everybody to the beach and I would troubleshoot the engine problems staying on board.

arrived.thumb.jpg.c5b22439a7e0be1384cfa1764261b1e7.jpg

Some crew paddling a Zodiac good luck

I put the boss on a pleasure boat I hailed over, don't trust her with the crew in a Zodiac.

mama.thumb.jpg.92a5544d5284ec2c15d59f74d55b38bf.jpg

They have been paddling in circles for 30 minutes

raft.thumb.jpg.02519407c412e24897354306b451365c.jpg

For the next 2 hours I crawled around engine room, I am a gorilla with just 2 arms was not engineered for a fat man, needed a monkey with four arms, instead. Heat probably 118 sweating a river, there all having a ball I'm dying@$$#$#$$%$.

Found the problem clogged fuel filters, replaced, filled, bled all O.K. I really need that monkey for this.

Here I am after ordeal soaking wet, dehydrated look like a drowned rat. Drank 3 12 oz waters.

Then grabbed my favorite brew started A/C laid on the bunk a good 45 minutes.

engine1.thumb.jpg.668dc2f1c0df2142b4bdd3e519cadf72.jpg

Early afternoon headed in beautiful day no squalls unusual with the heat. Mama feeding birds its a routine.

5b3f72750e146_mamasbirds.thumb.jpg.72db7fe4e41e42a5ccbcefc2becf99d7.jpg

Back at the dock.

returning.thumb.jpg.7b778e4008dc46143eaaaf1273186e0b.jpg

Man I am a whipped puppy

5b3f727d8e7dd_mewhipped.thumb.jpg.879165c9225526aa052e2698a9a8a3f0.jpg

You know this earth is a thing of beauty and glory everywhere you look, and I wish I could bring the naysayers of Climate Change out on the boat I'd drown everyone of them.

I Hope there is something left like we had today for mine and your great great grandchildren!

lmagna, mtaylor, davyboy and 4 others like this

Had to think about hitting like on that one, but finally decided you had a good day after all and hit the buzzer. Hope your next one goes batter John 

Canute likes this

Posted (edited)

Thanks Rek, and lou for the like

Lou,

No it was a great day, should have been more upbeat any time mama has a good day I have a great day.

It was just Murphy saying hello and reminding me he pops up now and then:cheers:;)

Edited by John Allen
Canute, mtaylor and lmagna like this

to continue:

22 hours ago, popeye the sailor said:

the use of tin foil should dampen the light filtering through......then again,  I would think that painting the interior black would serve the same purpose.  the interior could be then painted over with another color to hide the black ;)    interesting project.......the parts seem to be fitting together without much fuss.

Thanks Popeye for your considered thoughts on the lighting matter. I may use foil on the inside of the pipe between reflector and fan. This ought to stop light penetrating outer wall. However, I like the light penetrating through the bulkhead. It imparts a sense of high power being used for thrust. The light strip still may need to be dimmed a little more. But I will deal with that near the model's completion when fine tuning takes place (electronically).

John Allen, mtaylor and Canute like this

Thank you @Canute, @popeye the sailor, @hexnut, @mtaylor, @VACorsair, @Louie da fly, @John Allen, and @lmagna for your reactions and posts. :10_1_10:

Decided to add a console with swivel chairs in front of the Plasma Drive.

XpTDd9h.jpg

To tell you the truth, I am finding plastic is a good medium for model building. It's quite easy (there is no grain to consider) :D.

W1XkdeX.jpg

I was not sure how to go about adding instrumentation to the console; after all, this model has no decals ;)

I experimented with creating my own decals so to speak. Found that photographic paper worked well. Not having a colour printer, I used artist ink, Biro pen, and pencil. 

KdhAUpV.jpg

lmagna, mtaylor and Canute like this

Very cool Peter I think Tecko was a Trekkie at one time Kirk to be the Captain. Your putting an amazing amount of fly by the seat of your pants off the top of your head thought and planning into this I am impressed. Really wish I had that talent. Keep on keeping on.:cheers:

Tecko, lmagna and Canute like this

Long time ago I found an old pair of polarized sunglasses. Plan to use them as a window. Having the window become brighter when an observer gets close to have a look inside. It should surprise the observer to see that the ADLIB is just as curious to look back at the observer.

wJlChpm.jpg

6KAH2oF.jpg

lmagna, mtaylor and Canute like this