THIS IS A SAMPLE PROPOSAL TO START A GROUP PROJECT ON MSW....any one can propose a group.  See this topic for details......click here

MedwayLongboat.jpg

I am seeking to get a group project started to build a POF model of the Medway Longboat (1742).  This project will be designed to replicate the contemporary models in the NMM.  Pictures below.  Intermediate skill level.

-It will be 1/2" scale and fully rigged.

-option to just build the partially planked hull or a fully planked hull just like the contemporary models.

-option to include and learn sail making techniques.  Project will come with the ability to buy all the material "silkspan or similar" to fully rig the model with sails...

-Complete set of plans being developed but you will be required to buy a starter package at a minimum because frame templates wont be included on the plans.  (remember what happened to the Triton plans!!) Estimated cost $80-$100

-Starter package will include all frame parts, keel parts, and transom.  Along with printed set of plans.

-Option will exist to buy the complete kit as well.  Planking is pre-spiled.  pricing to be determined.

We need six or more to commit to this project before a dedicated forum can be set up for it.  ETA for this project will be around September.....ish.

Please see my build log of the prototype .  I will be leading this group project and moderating it.  Information that will be helpful to the groups participants will be posted routinely.

At any time please respond here with a commitment to join this project and further details will be made available as the start of the project approaches.  Dont hesitate to contact me with any questions.

Chuck

medway.jpg

Chuck, is this a scaled up version of the longboat you designed for Model Expo, or a different longboat? What wood were you planning to supply the kit in? Sounds interesting. I was planning on getting the wood upgrade for the ME kit, this may be a better alternative.

Canute likes this

This is a completely different subject and kit.  The ME kit I designed is based on an entirely different draft and is less elegant.  Although I used the window dressing from the Medway contemporary model on that ME design (freize style etc) the boat itself shows little resemblance to the contemporary model and new design.  I had come across a new contemporary draft closer to the period (1742) that was an almost identical match to the Medway longboat.  Knowing I could make a more historically accurate and less "kit-like" version of an enlarged longboat correcting some of the things based on what I have learned since, led me to take on making a newer, more accurate and detailed POF version.

It will be made using yellow cedar....and possible another version with cherry frames but swiss pear for the keel and planking.  I havent decided yet.  I also want to present a more realistic rigging plan with sails because this subject is the perfect size and scope to try sail making for the first time.

The yellow cedar frames from a starter package could also be used while replacing all of the other wood with for the keel parts....without having to buy the full kit version only to discard the other cedar elements.  I wont be making a boxwood version. So this would be a very low cost alternative that would allow anyone to build it using boxwood they can buy elsewhere.  Its much much less complicated than the queen anne barge but the framing will be done in the same manner.

And just to give you a bit more background on the origin of those two MS kit (pinnace) designs....they were never intended to be stand alone kits at all.

When I designed the concept for building them, they were originally created to be used as ship's boats for the Confederacy kit at 3/16" scale and nothing more.   Afterwards I was approached by them and asked if they could use them as stand alone kits.  I told them it wasnt the best idea at 3/16" scale and proposed that they should both be enlarged to 1/2" scale so they would be easier to build and look better with some added detail.  They didnt want to pay for it, so I just nudged up the scale a bit to 1/4" and added a rigging plan.....and they ran with it.  Ever since then I have regretted not having the opportunity to flesh out that subject more thoroughly which I think it deserves.  Finally I have a reason to do just that.

Canute, alde, jud and 9 others like this

It will be made available in two ways. In addition...a supplemental mini package will be available for all who want to add sails. 

first...base starter package of laser cut parts containing the stem/keel parts and framing along with printed plans.  You will need to scratch the remaining elements.

Secondly....as a complete kit with all laser cut parts and parts to rig it completely without sails. Including rigging blocks deadeyes and rope.

Supplemental sail package for anyone wanting to try sail making. -  will contain material for making sails along with any additional rope and blocks or hooks etc.

I believe this will give everyone of varying budget size the ability to choose what they want....and allow for building the model in many way.

-Just the hull partially planked....see the contemporary models

-Fully planked hull with all rigging no sails

-fully planked hull with rigging and including sails

Jim asked a very good question.....what is a group build.  Traditionally within a local model club,  its when a group of guys decide to build the same project.  They meet up in an actual location to either work on their models as a group or to discuss the way they approached building it.  Its a lot of fun for those who havent had the opportunity to do this for one reason or the other.  To be able to meet in person and discuss varying ways to solve a problem and learn from someone directly.  You get to share your experiences while perhaps enjoying a beer or cup of coffee.  My local club in New Jersey may actually be getting together to build this longboat as a group.  We will probably meet in my shop and everyone brings their models.  These participants will have verying degrees of expertise and experience giving the more experienced an opportunity to mentor those just starting out.

This is challemging to do online but even with the limitations which are obvious, it does produce some benefits.  Many of the same benefits and fun can be had by joining an online group project like this as well.

To give you an idea.  Below is a photo of the keel parts for the longboat.  These parts along with the build board and frame parts will constitute the starter package along with the plans.

medwaykeelparts.jpg

But what I would like to point out is this.  On the top is a simplified group of parts for builders that have less experience.  Note the simplified scarf joint that connects the stem and keel.  On the bottom are the same keel parts but set up to create a more complex lap joint to connect the stem and keel.  I have laser etched the area of the stem and keel that needs to be carved out.  My laser can not etch deep enough to get half way through this thick keel so the builder still needs to create the lap joint using various techniques and tools.  You could use a mill....you could use a sharp set of chisels or even just a sharp #11 blade.  My personal choice is the later.  The group will be able to choose which version they want to build and watch the other participants should they have chosen the more complex lap joint.  The stern post and keel are also joined using a lap joint on the contemporary model and in actual practice....but on the simplified version shown on top...its just two pieces but together.  So as Carl mentioned....these groups can be tailored for those with less experience and those with more experience and skill.

That is what makes such a group very worthwhile and fun.   

The starter package will come with both the more advanced pieces for the lap joints and the simplified laser cut scarf joint.  It will only be available to those at MSW taking part in the group project.  Note the contemporary mode below which shows the lap joint in comparison to the more simplified model option.

med_gallery_492_502_46598.jpg

This photo was taken from our gallery of contemporary models by the way.  There are many terrific images of the unrigged contemporary model in the album.

See here for more.  

I didn’t know you had actually physically started on her. You’re really too much!!  Things must be a little slow now, you’ve only got 10 seperate projects going at the same time, breaking every few minutes to crank out a few hundred blocks and a mile or so of rope. One day you’re going to become a supernova and disappear. 

I like the joints on the bottom version, very realistic.

Kurt

ChuckIi have put out an e-mail to members of our group and as Tim I (a member) has responded already I too would join in.

( What have I just committed to? I await the Winne, still working on Cheerful, Essex sits on the shelf along with the long boat. I am hopelessly addicted!)

Joe

Rustyj, Canute and thibaultron like this

This means you commit to start a build log of this project...so we actually have a group.  No lurking.  We need a commitment to participate.  

Canute, Rustyj, thibaultron and 1 other like this

This looks like alot of fun. Count me in. 

As someone pretty new to the model ship building world, I could stand to build something in parallel with others with the idea that maybe I learn a bunch of things. 

thibaultron, Canute and Chuck like this

I have no idea Martyn....either $25 or $34 US dollars depending on how heavy the package is.

Canute, thibaultron and mtaylor like this