Yupp or two complete kits.

Canute likes this

Have you started working out the price point on the starter packages or kit..or is if too early in production phase?

Steve

Canute likes this

Count me in.  This means I need to get started on my Queen Anne Style Barge and have it completed very soon.  I also plan to present the group build concept to my Club members as I feel some would benefit greatly in a group build environment.

JpR62 and Canute like this

Way too early.   I am hoping around 100 bucks U.S. not including shipping.  Give or take because of its size. I have to figure out how many sheets of wood it takes. Remember that these will be in Yellow Cedar so even if you buy a starter package (and scratch the rest) you will need to source some cedar as well for the other parts.  Unless of course you buy the complete kit.  I am only contemplating using another wood.  It may be too hectic to keep switching back and forth between two and keep enough on hand.  So I havent decided.  The frames make up the bulk of material. 

The starter package will contain....may change as it develops.  Figure on average $4.50 per wood sheet.

all frame parts 8 - 10 sheets - 1/16" sheets

keel parts - 2 sheets - 5/32" and 3/32"

build board parts- 2 sheets - 1/4"

plans - 4 sheets probably 2 hull details and 2 rigging and sails

Plus packaging costs and laser time

My Production costs......

You are talking $50 just for wood.

printing four sheets of plans....$12-15

Packaging costs....???

Laser time...????

Not much wiggle room.  So you can see its priced very reasonable considering the production costs.  Realistically closer to $100 but I am working on ways to reduce that if I can get my wood cost down.  Just an FYI for those who may think this is just a way to make lots of money.  Not that I am inferring anything Steve by you asking but I thought your question posed a perfect opportunity to get this out of the way.  So I apologize that I posted it in response to your inquiry.   As I have heard some rumblings from the peanut gallery and from folks who arent even considering joining the group....the typical naysayers we all know and love.  Very upsetting actually.  Here you can see all the costs laid out. 

Commercially ....I am curious what you guys think about the pricing....what would you charge?  What seems reasonable and fair considering the amount of time to develop and produce the project.  Most folks say I charge way too little.  From a business standpoint they are correct.  This is not a for-profit venture for me.  I just want to get that out in the open as I have been told directly  by some that this is just a way for me sell kits and make money.   Its crazy!!!

Most businesses would double or even Triple their production costs to make some profit...here you can see that is just not the case.

Jack12477, Canute, alde and 3 others like this

It looks like costs for this kit plus shipping run about $85 so that is a profit of $15 with a sail price of $100. Chuck kids that can’t get my burger order correct make more. Your prices are more than fair but a tad under priced for the quality put into design and production. You spend hours figuring these kits out for us and I have no problem paying a little more. Your time and talent is worth something. $125 is a realistic price for this kit. 

lmagna, gjdale, Canute and 5 others like this

Thanks for saying and you are 100% correct.  I may have to bump that up in the end but that was my target before I started cutting parts.   We shall see.  Maybe I will outsource the laser cutting to China and cut the price in half.....LOL.   But then you know what happens.  I say that not as a joke.  But it is very hard to compete with slave labor.

lmagna, Canute, Ryland Craze and 1 other like this

Chuck- In response to the latter part of your reply to my inquiry. Your prices are more than fair, for the quality you are producing and the development time you’ve invested. It’s nuts that some people think it’s a money making venture. The instructions that you produce alone for your projects are valuable for the amount of modeling tips, tricks, and solutions provided. 

Another factor, that you’ve already taken into consideration I’m sure, when forming prices is the limited target market. It’s a challenge to get the profit you deserve while still peeking the interest of new modelers. Yet, you still need to cover all the overhead costs. (A non-business person’s statement)

Steve

JpR62, Canute, tigerdvr and 3 others like this

Chuck will there be packets ready the next month maybe? My brother from NY is coming "home" in August so he could bring me mine :-)

Dirk

Canute likes this

I think chuck has to finish some more blocks and rigging rope first😊

but wen its ready do I have to come an get it 😲

ore wil you send a mail

Svein.erik 

Canute and mtaylor like this

Chuck, if I may say, don't let the naysayers distract you from the goal of this project. Try, as difficult as it may be, to stay focused on what is important.

You could give this project away for nothing and some grumpers would still be unhappy. These people must be hiding their heads in the sand. There

are so many kits (not the pirates) that are nowhere near the quality you provide and cost hundreds more. Nobody is knocking on people's doors like a press gang

and making folks join this build. You know that you can't keep everyone happy so just continue working as you have before.

You've built an admiral reputation through hard work and dedication, I suggest just stay the course as you have in the past.

Looking forward for the build to begin whenever that happens. 

Regards, Harley

I agree with most- you don't charge enough for all your work and for the quality of your products.  Not to mention support after sale.

best, Walt

Canute, Chuck, Jack12477 and 2 others like this

Posted (edited)

Hi Chuck,

I want to ditto Walt’s remarks above with the following addition.  I frequently find myself referring to your building instructions which you make freely available on the Syren Ship Model site as well as the ships you designed for Model Shipways. I’ve looked at the instructions for the Syren, the Cheerful, the Longboat, etc when I have questions pertaining to things like planking, fairing, or rigging in a generic fashion.  I have not purchased any of these models, and yet I take advantage of the information you’ve freely make advailable.  If I were to take into account the value of these tutorials in the price of your kits, they not only become inexpensive, but a tremendous value.  THANK YOU for everything you so generously given me.  Like everything, value is a function of perspective.

Best,

John

Edited by Landlocked123