DIY Workbench Mini Vac Cleaner with Trap

Got sick and tired of removing all tools etc just to access the sawdust, shavings, etc for cleaning.

When I was in the RAAF, we (Avionics Technicians) had a vacuum inlet on the workbench. A small diameter hose was attached for sucking up small foreign matter. We made our own traps at the inlet. These would stop anything we accidentally sucked up, like a small screw. Today, I made myself such a device. It attached to my vacuum cleaner.

YM5V5iG.jpg

MuztkJe.jpg

Tested it on kitchen breadboard. The bread crumbs are collected in the jar.

PS: the smaller hose is really for small dust particles, especially for hard to get into places.

Edited by Tecko

Peter.

Current Builds:  Wardell Bridge, Bridge on River Kwai, ADLIB-1, and the U-2540

Sublime!!! I have to try it out with all the brass parts which skittered over the desk whilst trying to avoid final entrapment on the model, although, I would probably need a slightly wider hose

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

COOL!!!! thanks for sharing 

Marcus 

Current Built: Zeehaen 1639, Dutch Fluit from Dutch explorer Abel J. Tasman

Unofficial motto of the VOC: "God is good, but trade is better"

Many people believe that Captain J. Cook discovered Australia in 1770. They tend to forget that Dutch mariner Willem Janszoon landed on Australia’s northern coast in 1606. Cook never even sighted the coast of Western Australia).

Thank you all for your responses. Glad that it is of interest to other modellers.

Please note that my drawing leaves out a length of hose from under the trap lid to about an inch from the bottom. It can be seen in the photographs. The hose was placed in to ensure deposits would be left on the bottom. If you like, you could add a small fly-screen filter over the intake tube of trap (vacuum cleaner end).

Peter.

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

I would be tempted to make one if I could find hollow tubes small enough. I think the tubes on the one I posted are too large in diameter. They look like the stir sticks you get for your coffee in restaurants you could still suck up items like belaying pins and such.

Edited by lmagna

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

1 hour ago, lmagna said:

I would be tempted to make one if I could find hollow tubes small enough. I think the tubes on the one I posted are too large in diameter. They look like the stir sticks you get for your coffee in restaurants you could still suck up items like belaying pins and such.

What you presented looks fine. First of all it is good in the sense that it will only pick up small items (dust, filings, etc) and not larger than a few mm. The disadvantage is that it has no trap for easy retrieval of accidentally sucked up items. That is why I posted a simple and small DIY trap for the workbench. 

In the RAAF cleanroom, where they repair delicate instruments, the dirt particles were mainly very small, but one of them could easily effect a bearing or a hairspring, for instance. The traps used were also very small, like the size of a baby food jar, and using a hose with about 3 mm inside diameter. The rule was to suck up foreign matter as soon as it was presented. The immediate work area had to be absolutely clean at all times.

The point is, a small trap can be used. I figured that a modeller would need something a bit bigger, like a pickle jar, and a hose with about 6 mm (1/4 inch) inside diameter.

Edited by Tecko

Peter.

The brush attachment was not an idea to replace the trap it was an alternative to the normal suction end that would still allow high air flow, (The force that actually picks the stuff up) and not grabbing every part up and sending down the tube. 

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

The separator is a good idea - it is easier to search through a small pile of debris than across the whole workbench (which unlikely is as clean as in a clean-room ;)). I gather the rentention capacity would depend on its length, so a long, narrow jar might be safer than a shallow one, or you would need to put a bit of foam in front of the internal suction pipe.

wefalck

panta rhei - Everything is in flux

M-et-M-72.jpg  Banner-AKHS-72.jpg  Banner-AAMM-72.jpg  ImagoOrbis-72.jpg

3 minutes ago, wefalck said:

The separator is a good idea - it is easier to search through a small pile of debris than across the whole workbench (which unlikely is as clean as in a clean-room ;)). I gather the rentention capacity would depend on its length, so a long, narrow jar might be safer than a shallow one, or you would need to put a bit of foam in front of the internal suction pipe.

I would avoid using any further barriers to the negative pressure (suction). The reduction in intake area (small hose) already reduces the suction. I would go for a longer as opposed to a shorter jar. Let gravity assist in this matter.

Peter.

Small diameter clear tubes can be found at home depot, etc. 

This vacuum setup has been used for over a century in Entomology (study of insects). When collections are made for very small insects. Instead of using a vacuum, you can use a bellows or suck really hard. 

Insects that are in leaf matter on the forrest floor. I saw a similar setup in one of my Anatomy of Insect books from 1909.

Marcus 

Current Built: Zeehaen 1639, Dutch Fluit from Dutch explorer Abel J. Tasman

Unofficial motto of the VOC: "God is good, but trade is better"

Many people believe that Captain J. Cook discovered Australia in 1770. They tend to forget that Dutch mariner Willem Janszoon landed on Australia’s northern coast in 1606. Cook never even sighted the coast of Western Australia).

3 hours ago, flying_dutchman2 said:

Small diameter clear tubes can be found at home depot, etc. 

This vacuum setup has been used for over a century in Entomology (study of insects). When collections are made for very small insects. Instead of using a vacuum, you can use a bellows or suck really hard. 

Insects that are in leaf matter on the forrest floor. I saw a similar setup in one of my Anatomy of Insect books from 1909.

Marcus 

Come to think of it, I have seen them too in an entomology catalogue book.

Great idea. So those who were thinking they may have to buy another vacuum cleaner, they don't.

They are called Aspirators.

nAKYMbC.jpg

Edited by Tecko

Peter.

• 1 month later...

I recently moved into a codo so my large shop and scratch building days are over. My "shop/office, etc. is about 6' x 12' (next to the kitchen). I call it "the cave".  Not much room for a vacuum system. I recently purched a ShopVac Micro. It has plenty of power and so far seems to meet my needs....Moab/Allan

Completed Builds:

Virginia Armed Sloop...Model Shipways

Ranger...Corel

Louise Steam Launch...Constructo

Hansa Kogge...Dusek

Yankee Hero...BlueJacket

Spray...BlueJacket

26’ Long Boat...Model Shipways

Under Construction:

Emma C. Berry...Model Shipways