USS Constitution by Jasseji - Mamoli - 1:93 - CROSS-SECTION - First Wooden Ship build

Hi Jacek. 

Nice progress with the cross section.

On 29/06/2018 at 8:56 PM, Jasseji said:

So many views and not a single reply ??

Has a chuckle to myself when I come across the above statement..  sometimes there is nothing to be said......

I would go for option 3 myself.

On 16/07/2018 at 11:04 AM, Jasseji said:

half of lower mast with some reinforcement rings 

Looking into another cross section are you... 

Could always wait for Chucks    Pegasus to arrive.   https://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/17734-pegasus-cross-section-1776-148-by-chuck-swan-class-sloop/

I'me waiting.....

Regards Antony.

Best advice ever given to me."If you don't know ..Just ask.

Completed Mayflower

Completed Fun build Tail boat Tailboat

Completed Build Chinese Junk Chinese Pirate Junk

Completed scratch built Korean Turtle ship 1/32 Turtle ship

Completed Santa Lucia Sicilian Cargo Boat 1/30 scale Santa Lucia

On hold. Bounty Occre 1/45

Completed HMS Victory by DeAgostini modelspace. DeAgostini Victory Cross Section

Completed H.M.S. Victory X section by Coral. HMS Victory cross section

Completed The Black Pearl fun build Black Queen

Completed A large scale Victory cross section 1/36 Victory Cross Section

24 minutes ago, AntonyUK said:

Hi Jacek. 

Nice progress with the cross section.

Has a chuckle to myself when I come across the above statement..  sometimes there is nothing to be said......

I would go for option 3 myself.

Looking into another cross section are you... 

Could always wait for Chucks    Pegasus to arrive.   https://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/17734-pegasus-cross-section-1776-148-by-chuck-swan-class-sloop/

I'me waiting.....

Regards Antony.

Yes i saw the Swan class, although started playing around in AutoCAD with the Triton plans - lets See how it Will turn out. 

First comes the Surprise tho - i really want to build a frigate first :)

Jacek

Current Build: HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models 1/64 

On Hold/Parallel: Lady Nelson - Amati/Victory Models 1/64

I did not abandon her folks, despite being anxious to start the Triton, but with the HOT weather here (over 100F in Western Europe !!!), working on gun rigging is a no-go at the moment...

Jacek

Guys, really, honestly, please tell me if this rigging does look anywhere close to decent...

i'm struggling with the thought to remove the outhaul tackles and just leave the breechings - it somehow doesnt look right in this scale

Jacek

The outhauls look good, Jacek.   The left gun needs the coils though.  Now I'm not sure about the breeching ropes though as they need to be wrapped once around the breech knob and secured to the bulkhead as you have done.  

Here's a pic..

post-387-0-72953700-1362839365.jpg.a62807bb5a14c06bc2de7a445ae3f799.jpg

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Yes, i have made the breeching ropes as described, wrapped around the knob (maybe not visible on the pic but they are) 

The coils i will do when i have made the rest of the Guns, however my concern is that the blocks are massively out of scale 

Jacek

Jacek,

I really love this cross-section style for building and displaying.  I think I'll try something like this in Lego also!  I'd like to do a transverse cross-section of a large sailing warship, and also maybe a full longitudinal section of a steamer showing the engine, boilers, and drive shaft.  Inspiration and food for thought!

Cheers,

John

Thank you, unfortunately this is only a kit, next Cross-Section will be scratch-build i hope :D (if i dont fail at the Triton scratch).

I am actually thinking about a partial transverse - at least a cutout of the lower deck of the full Triton but we shall see.

Jacek

Well, I have yet to build my first in wood, so I'll definitely be starting with a kit!  I'd like to find a late 19th Century west-coast steam schooner, but I understand that kits of these either don't exist or would be very difficult to find.  I'll keep looking, and working in Lego in the mean time.  :-)

Cheers,

John

16 minutes ago, J Harreld said:

Well, I have yet to build my first in wood, so I'll definitely be starting with a kit!  I'd like to find a late 19th Century west-coast steam schooner, but I understand that kits of these either don't exist or would be very difficult to find.  I'll keep looking, and working in Lego in the mean time.  🙂

Cheers,

John

hm, did you browse through the MSW ship kit Database ? 

http://mswshipkits.ampitcher.com/

Jacek

On 7/28/2018 at 8:29 AM, Jasseji said:

however my concern is that the blocks are massively out of scale 

How many mm are the blocks?

You could always buy from here: clasic model

Mr. Pucko

Building:

Royal Caroline - Panart

Nuestra Senora del Pilar - Occre

Bounty - Occre

Titanic - Amati

Endeavour - AL

Santissima Trinidad cross section - Occre

7 minutes ago, puckotred said:

How many mm are the blocks?

You could always buy from here: clasic model

They are 3 or 4mm dont remember now but Daniel is sending me 2mm to try

Edited by Jasseji

Jacek

Good, there is a biiig difference between 2 and 3 mm blocks. only 1 mm but it's one third of the size difference!!!

If it's rounded blocks they appear even smaller than the square ones... (But you know all of this.... I'm just pretending being wise 😁)

Mr. Pucko

Building:

Royal Caroline - Panart

Nuestra Senora del Pilar - Occre

Bounty - Occre

Titanic - Amati

Endeavour - AL

Santissima Trinidad cross section - Occre

6 hours ago, puckotred said:

Good, there is a biiig difference between 2 and 3 mm blocks. only 1 mm but it's one third of the size difference!!!

If it's rounded blocks they appear even smaller than the square ones... (But you know all of this.... I'm just pretending being wise 😁)

yes, i believe so, i got the 2mm blocks today, will see what i can come up with (hopefully i'll be able to use same thread)

Jacek

Nice to see this build and so far you are doing a real good job!

I've started this build and will continue to follow your progress with interest.

Continue the good work!

Mercdaddy27

Past builds: Model Shipways USS CONSTITUTION; Mantua"s SAN FELIPE; Mamoli's FRIESLAND; Corel's VICTORY; Model Shipways SYREN

Current builds: Model Shipways USS ESSEX; USS CONSTITUTION cross section

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/16/2018 at 6:17 AM, Jasseji said:

Although i do not really like how some things turned out, i made few mistakes which i cannot correct now without dismantling the Gundeck, i am determined to finish the decks though but i am already looking forward to make another cross-section (the Triton especially) and i hope next week i can start a full POB Build (depending if i can get the frames by then)

I ran into the same problems

• 1 year later...
On 7/16/2018 at 5:56 AM, puckotred said:

It looks great! Have you decided what to do with the mast? I would do only the lower mast. It's just a piece of the ship so why not do a piece of the mast as well?

I've been working my way through the build logs for this Constitution since I have one that I started many years ago and just picked up again. I plan on doing the whole mast since this is my first wooden ship model and I want all the practice I can get,especially with spars and rigging. Yours is coming along very nicely. I like the look of the wooden gratings-- perfect for lashing unruly sailors!
Speaking of which, does anyone make sailor figures in this scale? I'd love a couple of old salts climbing up ratlines,hauling on lines etc.

• 2 months later...
On 2/10/2020 at 2:43 AM, Brewerpaul said:

I've been working my way through the build logs for this Constitution since I have one that I started many years ago and just picked up again. I plan on doing the whole mast since this is my first wooden ship model and I want all the practice I can get,especially with spars and rigging. Yours is coming along very nicely. I like the look of the wooden gratings-- perfect for lashing unruly sailors!
Speaking of which, does anyone make sailor figures in this scale? I'd love a couple of old salts climbing up ratlines,hauling on lines etc.

thanks, my builds are presently shelved since some time due to us having decided to buy a home

now we are in final stages of renovation which is dragging along, hopefully i'll be able to finish this soon 

i've decided not to do the mast, this piece will have a small display place and i am negotiating with wife about big display place for a full frigate :D

Jacek

Space for display is certainly a consideration. The cross section is not very deep, so I'm thinking of putting up a small wall shelf to splay it. Down the road,when I get to building my Pride Of Baltimore, I'll have to have more space due to the yards crossing the deck. Would it be totally inaccurate to mount them at a steep angle, as if the ship were beating into the wind? I realize that when the ship is in drydock they wouldn't do that,but it would save some depth.