Woody Joe's Khufu Solar Boat

markjay

Hi all,

I'm thinking about doing this project. I was very pleased with a prior Woody Joe kit and was wondering if anyone has done this kit.
I need a change from from rigging 18th century ships.

https://zootoyz.jp/contents/en-us/p1657_Woody_JOE_Khufu_ship__The_first_Solar_Boat_Wooden_Ship_Model.html

Thanks for the input.

Mark
Phoenix, AZ

Current builds;

Previous builds, in rough order of execution;
Shipjack, Peterbrough Canoe, Flying Fish, Half Moon, Britannia racing sloop, Whale boat, Bluenose, Picket boat, Viking longboat, Atlantic, Fair American, Mary Taylor, half hull Enterprise, Hacchoro, HMS Fly, Khufu Solar Boat.

On the shelf; Royal Barge, Jefferson Davis.

Hi Mark, I have not, but have been thinking about it.

I know someone in the SMA club down in Southern California who started one last year. I'll ask him about it.

It looks like a very interesting model and if you buy from the new Zootoyz site for wooden kits, Morikawa-san has a sale going on there that ends in 4 days, on 6/24. Well, that is, the sale prices are good through the end of the 24th. They're a day ahead of us, so maybe make that 6/23!

By the way, it's my understanding that he just created an MSW account, so maybe he'll start chiming in direction on the Woody Joe stuff!

Clare

Clare Hess

He's a -> "HE"

Thanks Clare, for some strange reason I knew I would here from you (can't imagine why). I got Morikawa-san's email about the new site and sale a few days back.
Well I could not resist the temptation and ordered one. Looks simple but...? I just needed a change from heavily detailed models and the simple elegant lines just fit the bill.
I don't like posting builds but I'll keep you up to date when the build starts. By the way your long boat is very fine looking and the research very informative.

Regards

Mark
Phoenix, AZ

Current builds;

Shipjack, Peterbrough Canoe, Flying Fish, Half Moon, Britannia racing sloop, Whale boat, Bluenose, Picket boat, Viking longboat, Atlantic, Fair American, Mary Taylor, half hull Enterprise, Hacchoro, HMS Fly, Khufu Solar Boat.

Hi Mark,

Congrats on jumping in on that kit. I think you'll really like it.

I did hear back from the Khufu ship builder I mentioned, and he commented that he really enjoyed the kit. He had some problems understanding the Japanese instructions until he found a translator app for his iPad. I have Google Translate on my iPhone and that seems to work pretty well too. He's planning on bringing it to the NRG conference this Fall. That doesn't help you any, but I did get a photo from him. I didn't get his permission to post it, but I can PM a copy to you so you can see a built model for yourself.

Best Regards,

Clare

Edited by catopower

Clare Hess

He's a -> "HE"

Clare I have Google translate and planned on using it. I also understand there is a person in a shop here who can help with the translation if I have a problem.

Mark
Phoenix, AZ

Current builds;

Forunately, it's supposed to be a fairly easy build, and I'll bet you can figure out the instructions with just the Google Translate app.

For the benefit of others, here's a photo of this kit from the box art, in case you don't know anything about this kit. 

The-first-SOLAR-BOAT-MAIN_.jpg.caf52fa206eb56fff1c29572c31542c3.jpg

It's a 1/72-scale model of a boat that was buried along with various treasures of King Khufu (Cheops).

Here's a photo of the kit built by Don Dressel of the SMA, Fullerton, posted with his permission...

IMG_0101.thumb.jpg.98f6ee8ffa6b728e6555113388643656.jpg

This is a really nice looking kit and Don said he really enjoyed building it. You can find it easily through the Japanese online hobby dealer Zootoyz.jp.

Okay, now I'm jealous Mark. I want to build this kit too!

Clare

Clare Hess

He's a -> "HE"

I know where you can order one :rolleyes:

Mark
Phoenix, AZ

Current builds;

What's in the box...All instructions are in Japanese so a good translator app is necessary. However, with the multiple pictures, instruction in most cases will be self explanatory. Laser and strip materials are all packed in well marked sleeves as to, part number, name, dimensions and quantity of each. In my experience with the Hacchoro model, there is very little extra strip material, I would imagine the same is true here. Measure twice cut once, for sure. As far as I can tell it looks like the outer hull is done on a skeleton frame, it is removed, and then the inside framing is done. From what I have read the ancient Egyptians built in that fashion.
Sorry the files did not load in order. And there was a surprise gift enclosed as well, nice touch.box1.thumb.jpg.dd3c9f8cef3a0cd89cd1ce631f28c12f.jpg

10.thumb.jpg.6aa7c8b10ce2107337d0169be814555e.jpg

7.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

2.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

11.jpg

box1.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

Edited by markjay
Grammar

Mark
Phoenix, AZ

Current builds;

Thanks for all the likes...this should be fun.

Mark
Phoenix, AZ

Current builds;

• 3 years later...
20 hours ago, harold best said:

This may be a dumb question from an amateur.  Does the woody joe king khufu kit come with laser-cut hull planking as is true with joe's other kits?  thank you.  Harold Best 

This is an old topic so I would suggest you PM catopower as he's a big Woody Joe fan and has built quite a few of the kits with build logs here on MSW.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

An old topic, but not forgotten. And, not a dumb question at all.

I've never built this kit before, but I'm familiar with their instructions and laser-cut parts. From what markjay posted, I can see that the hull planking is laser-cut. In fact, it looks like three or four laser-cut sheets that have the planks cut into it. 

Hope this is okay to do. These are markjay's photos, posted above. I downloaded them so I could repost them here:

7.thumb.jpg.17e15ce3f901e2386cffa3be4159606b.jpg.ed56f059e3ec84d1a731e80cd787415f.jpg

2.thumb.jpg.3674777daffd34901201ea01bb15b6a9.jpg.dc7a177d95cd6b7d29b7b314cb38d1c0.jpg

The red arrows point to what appears to be the laser-cut hull sheets.

On some wester-style ships, Woody Joe provides strips for planking the hull. But, for these more unusual types, including the Japanese vessels, they're pretty consistent with providing laser-cut sheets.

But, I say this, not having built this model. And, I don't own the kit either – I know, it's a shock... 😉

Clare Hess

He's a -> "HE"

2 hours ago, catopower said:

I've never built this kit before

This is a fascinating and beautiful model that has always been intriguing to me. 

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

This is a fun kit to build. Easy but not to easy. All laser work fits well, some delicate handling, but not too much. I did not to stain the model. The wood finish is very pleasant toy eye

Mark
Phoenix, AZ

Current builds;

I am not in the habit of posting builds but if you like I will post some of this build process.

Edited by markjay

Mark
Phoenix, AZ

Current builds;

11 hours ago, markjay said:

I am not in the habit of posting builds but if you like I will post some of this build process.

I would be interested in seeing your build log and I'm sure many others would also. Thanks for the offer.

Bob Garcia

Current Builds: 

I just posted a summary of the build. Enjoy!

Mark
Phoenix, AZ

Current builds;

5 hours ago, markjay said:

I just posted a summary of the build. Enjoy!

Thanks for posting those photos of your build, Mark. It's a beautiful model. Here's a link to the photos:

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/31894-khufu-solar-boat-woody-joe-summary-of-2020-build/#comment-904163

Bob Garcia

Current Builds: