HMS King George V by RGL - FINISHED - Tamiya - 1/350

So I found a King George V on a local buy and sell site, came with a wooden deck and metal barrels at a good price.

I know it's been done, Mr Rabbit and Kpnuts, and there are basically three iterations of HMS King George's Career, when she fought the Bismarck in '41, the '43 fit out then the '44 fit out.

I want to do the '43 fit out as it hardly ever been done, the references are very obscure and I get to do camouflage and not strait grey.IMG_6949.thumb.JPG.c084d55047ea0c4dd25cef6383c8bdfc.JPGIMG_6956.thumb.JPG.5a8c053c9be0d2de3bee1887c980886e.JPG

The Tamiya Kit is set for the 1945 fit out, having removed the aircraft and placed the ships boats amidships, but the Aftermarket Pontos is retrofitted for 1941.

The thing is, the Pontos set gives you  the ability to have an aircraft deck but the kit gives you no aircraft. Thus one has to buy a Walrus.

The Tamiya kit has the stern square hatches omitted which need to be after - after market as Pontos ignored this gem.

I got the new Infini Models RN Doors (he bloke who is Infini models designed this set when he worked for Pontos) as they are just magnificent.

I also got some individual RN stanchions as I'm over one piece railings are I like to torture myself.

I've ordered new Carley Floats (i'll have to scratch build the Flota nets) and an extra set of 20mm guns as there should be 38 of them all up.

The Chap I bought the kit from had a Artwox deck which is suitable but the Pontos one is fairly clean which means I can add whatever configuration I want.

I've spent a few weeks researching tis and the internet is just full of people who just do not check their references, as  about 70% of the photos pro porting to be KGV are usually a sister ship.

The Imperial War Museum has lovely photos which are correctly labeled and allow me to feel comfortable in my 1943 configuration.

Welcome to build number 10 in 1/350.KGVatALgeriaSummer43_80G53002.jpg.731198d1e643578d490a518dbe3eb1a9.jpg

Greg

The hull is smooth as a baby's bum BUT does etch in a boot strap.

Your can see from the photos of when KGV was in drydock in 1941 after a parking incident there is a considerable amount of hull detail missing.

IMG_6819.thumb.JPG.2abf385b9493d7bb96547b45cd769654.JPGIMG_6820.thumb.JPG.035fd2f68d27a20cc2a3fa0c072564f1.JPGIMG_6821.thumb.JPG.0fcee599f85d0a7f56e20de59213f549.JPG

The Degausing cable was removed in later '41. It appears from the 1943 photo it was only the bow section.

The stern also has these pesky square hatches (photo is from '45 when some portholes were covered over). IMG_7025.JPG.f9fe9d683612ed8411ffbe60f9a3e94c.JPG

The deck will need to be completely wiped clean and flush. As such by the time get this one done, Cog will be out of excuses to do the next joint build.

Roger Chesneau's book on the KGV class includes the fit out history. IMG_6951.thumb.PNG.5f5364015d022e68cfce3dfbc98c3057.PNG

As such the hull needs a LOT of work before any PE comes out of the box.

Greg

Well it's back to the belfry for me Greg with my stash of popcorn.

I am not all that clear on one thing from your description though. I know I could just wait until you build that part of the hull and see, but will the welded up portholes be opened? Or are thy already welded over by the time of your build?

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

I’m awaiting the Top Down reference book, but as far as my research goes, it appears to have happened after the ‘44 refit. As I said before, there is so much poor information out there one needs to be careful. The IWM photos are all referenced by the photographer so I trust them more more than some bloke on google. 

The kit hull is lazily done by Tamiya but it is old. I intend to overspray the who whole hull before I draw up the hull plates then layer them to give depth. 

Greg

quite a project you have going Greg.......I'll definitely be following along  :)     I looked up degaussing....never heard of it before.....very interesting reading!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Facinating build greg  - not so disimilar to my Warspite,  I will be watching along pinching lou popcorn.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

4 hours ago, popeye the sailor said:

quite a project you have going Greg.......I'll definitely be following along  :)     I looked up degaussing....never heard of it before.....very interesting reading!

since it's plastic RGL doesn't need to worry ...

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Greg   can I recommend these to you  - I use them  they are color matched to be as close to admiralty colors.

OC.

post-7946-0-43315500-1435435643.jpg

Current builds  

Completed works.

2 minutes ago, RGL said:

I saw this recently, is there enough paint to do a battleship? Do they airbrush well? 

Deffo mate  the jars are 22ml  each  and dilute really well  and are spayer compatable,   I would deffo get the set of six.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Also they are really hardwearing  and dry real fast  mine are touch dry to re coat with a brush immediatly after drying with a hairdryer between coats.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

9 hours ago, RGL said:

it appears to have happened after the ‘44 refit

The reason I asked was that closing portholes located in the hull became pretty common early in the war as almost all of the ships with portholes in the hull that took battle damage sank much quicker because of water coming in through the broken portholes. Sometimes, especially in battleships the concussion from their own guns caused the damage.

4 hours ago, Old Collingwood said:

pinching lou popcorn.

Better watch it OC I borrowed Mark's stick and you may get your knuckles whacked. 

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Love the KGV, remember building this kit a number of years ago.  The camo pattern I went with was definitely different so assuming was a different time period.  Looking forward to seeing the PE.

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

I'm in.. but hold the popcorn.  I'm a bit bloated.  So I think I'll switch over ice cream for a bit.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

2 minutes ago, mtaylor said:

I think I'll switch over ice cream for a bit.

I'll take 2 scoops, any flavor,  with sprinkles please! :P  

I'm in, too. Always been a Bismarck fan, and there are lots of Bismarck and Hood models, but not so many of this one. Looking forward to following along!

~ Ben

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

Current Builds:

'Doll-Boat' - 1:12 scale 40' Cruising Sailboat

S.S. Edmund Fitzgerald - 1:350 plastic kit w/ Photo Etch Parts (On Hold)

Sign me up, too. And I'll go for an Italian water ice, please. Any flavor will do. I know Greg will be putting on a tour de force with this dreadnought.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

The base hull. All the detail will have to come off the decks so I will have a clean slate. Portholes will need to be drilled out, ringols added, two holes in the bottom for the brass stands, add the decks so they’re nice and flush, drill several hundred holes for railing stanchions. 

7EB480F9-D8D5-4AA1-BD89-8FB10C4F11A9.jpeg

DA2EF4A2-8CCE-4FAC-928A-17D3D01E7610.jpeg

Greg

Greg

Do you hand drill the plastic or use a power drill like a Dremel or something?

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

That's what I was afraid of! :(:default_wallbash:The reason I asked was because I still have the Titanic looking at me to do for the wife. I have always done drilling and sawing on plastic by hand as well for the same reason.

Thanks

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

17 minutes ago, RGL said:

it’s mindless work

Probably just right for me then.

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

off and running I see......... ;)   I used my battery operated drill for the Vendetta.......does well at a slow speed.   now,  if I was to do anything major for a modification,  I wouldn't use a scroll saw...already seen where that gets you {now THAT'S a mess}.   have you a method thought up to cover over the potholes aft?   I would think really thin brass.......use a paper punch or something to make the circles....would do well.  better yet though....I've seen items in the local craft store,  like confetti,  or look in the clothes enhancement dept......I've seen stuff there too that can do well in covering them up.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

I don’t think they were covered until the 1944 refit and when she was sent to the South Pacific given the insanity of the Japanese pilots. 

In 1943 she still had them uncovered and had an extra 18 twenty mil guns. If I did the 1945 version I would probably get the set I used to cover the Yamato portholes. 

It also appears the rear section of her degaussing cable were still present but the front section removed. 

I just recieved this, which covers her entire career but for some reason ignores the removal of the degaussing cable completely. 

So, the photos don’t lie. 

image.jpg

Greg

I think I read where the cables were only on the bow section....did you mention something about this in your intro?   as a mater of fact,  the Hood PE I got has the complete set of cables included

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock: