HMS King George V by RGL - FINISHED - Tamiya - 1/350

49 minutes ago, RGL said:

The build is on here

I spent a little while looking but couldn't find it. I'll possibly try again tomorrow when I have a little more time.

51 minutes ago, RGL said:

I just don’t want to spend a decade on one. 

I know what you mean there as well. It was just a question on which you got more ultimate satisfaction from in the finished project. 

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Those are the metal stanchions from Tamiya? You really pick a nice sizable object for that kind of work ... to keep your fingers in shape and pretty much flexible? ... she does look good, even without those pesky posts ... but "a man's gotta do, what a man's gotta do" ... I think I'll stay in the whimp corner ... I am better suited for that ... messed up the hull of the big one the day before Yesterday ... since humidity has risen and temperatures dropped, paint dries slowly ... I had some lovely runners ... back to stage one ... sanding/priming/sanding/priming/..., so I am of by miles when it comes to stanchions ...

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

bouchetombe.gif.5c33f7fe269158c98e151bcafcde92fb.gif

After seeing the large chunk of X-acto-steel on your deck, compared to the size of the stanchions, I went speechless for a few minutes .....

If the rule is : when you can't see it, leave it out, I would probably stop after the hull parts are glued together......

Jan

I find that working on fine details has to be done in short bursts. Try building Z scale (1/220) structures or N scale (1/160) double hung windows. <Remind me not to do those ever again!>  Do one operation at a time (glaze a window, say) and do 2-4 operations. Then walk away; maybe work on something you can see without using your optical enhancers. You won't get done in a hurry, but what's the fun in that? :D Like Greg said, sometimes you feel you're plodding along.  I've been rolling brass HO scale piping clamps for a grain hopper. The detail set gave me more than enough and happily none have been launched into Never-never Land. Having good pliers of the correct size helps there, too. 👍

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

Thanks Greg.

I guess I saw it after all, just didn't know your full name. You now know what I will be doing for at least part of today. 

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

catching up on your endeavors Greg........she is one fantastic model :)   there is so much detail,  and your paint skill is off the charts!  very nice that you were able to do the color layering on the gun barrels.....how did you mask them without getting the paint lines?  nice work on the camo as well  ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

So I tried a new technique today. First, get a mouthful of black coffee. Second sneeze. Third, direct sneeze over the ship. Drench it in coffee. 

FFS! 20 minutes with a paintbrush and water to clean it up. The deck does not like it but I think I’m on to something here when it comes to dulling down the wooden decks! Who knew! 

Anyways, the back end of the ship’s railing is now done. I added a little bit of unpainted PE for comparison and I like it better the way I’m doing it. I just don’t think I can go back to PE railing again for this type of ship’s rails. 

9A658D22-52A2-41E4-B958-4A9893359DE6.jpeg

3CD89DE0-1F28-4BFA-9BE6-8DDC48ED4A10.jpeg

5EBB4B89-F040-4852-B110-D72247837AE2.jpeg

1D544306-7C45-4213-9168-662F93D56C5B.jpeg

Greg

I couldn't do it - not even close,  I have poor enough eyesight as it is need glasses for almost everything and deffo stronger ones for bookwork.laptop  building etc,  then I have my magnifier under a powerful light just to do my build.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Dull down the wooden deck ... more like coffee it up!

I wouldn't be spraying coffee all over it, but get some different shades of pastels from light wood to dark and work that in with a hard bristled brush with a straight end instead of pointed, and work it in gradually. I bought an "artists" set of pastels (12 colours), and used those on the G class destroyer's decks. On a wooden deck I would have to get a few additional colours, as sets are quite limited with respect to a modeller's needs.

those tri-coloured barrels look marvelous on that dark blue turret

Edited by cog

Carl

I've seen most chalks and pastels disappear when spraying a fixative over them.  Started using something called Pan Pastels, which can be applied with a variety of tools (brushes, sponges, etc.) No fixative required. Here's a link: http://www.modelingcolors.com/index.html

They do list some European outlets. Nothing for Oz or Japan.

Ken

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Pastels and pigments work fine on paint, just not the cellulose deck materials as the definition disappears. It is what it is BUT! The coffee sneeze leads me to believe I’m onto something that I’m going to have to work on. 

I really dont don’t want to weather this deck, asehen you look at the KGV photos from the Med in 1943 it is spotless as would be expected of the Kings ship. 

Greg

Well that’s the worst part of the build done. The stanchions are white as I gave them a base primer coat from the Tamiya rattle can before putting them on, as another coat would plug up the holes. When I do the touch up phase I will make sure they are all strait and paint them. 

The Anchors are resin ones from North Star Models as the kit ones are utter rubbish. There are only two as no reference I can see has her with three after 1940. 

E855424C-4FF7-45C9-8ECC-36E34B24114E.jpeg

3E5BDEF6-91C5-41D4-BA28-524443EFF178.jpeg

A22FDF43-7DA0-40A3-9A99-8026100EEC67.jpeg

Edited by RGL

Greg

superb bit of progress there Greg........the stanchions look super :)    they look much better than PE....more life like.   I've done that before.......given my projects coffee baths.......not only that,  I'm sneeze prone  :D  {try explaining that one  ;) } .    some do stain their decks......light stains,  coffee's a new one on me.   looks like you did a decent job of cleaning her up.   she looks great :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

I like the camouflage giving the ship strange angles when you look at those frontal pictures, a busy deck and lots of things to see. So much more pleasant to look at than those boaring modern ships ...

Vendetta is already relatively small compared to the G/Tribal class desroyer I built, so this doesn't surprise me, next to the Yamato class she would be even more like a ship's boat ... but so much more agile one shouldn't forget ...

P.s. what's that French title about ...?

Carl

Ah, you're giving them a run for the money. And you're having fun doing it.

Ken

4 hours ago, RGL said:

Just look at the photos really, if I lived to be 500 I’d never be that good. 

No, but you can aspire to ... On the other hand ... when I look at what you establish with some plastic, brass, glue and paint ... a lot would think the same about you ...

Carl

I agree with Carl and Ken.

Your work is every bit in par with any museum ship I have ever seen. Possibly I only go to low quality museums but I don't think that is the case.

You have to remember that the pictures in the books are all taken with perfect light and professional photographers and like the pictures in Playboy are probably touched up as well. 

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

1 hour ago, lmagna said:

You have to remember that the pictures in the books are all taken with perfect light and professional photographers and like the pictures in Playboy are probably touched up as well. 

You mean to tell me you never saw any girls IRL who looked like the ones on Playboy? Lol - Just fun'in with you Lou. 🤩😏