Sign in to follow this  
Kurt Johnson

Quick and Thick Titebond glue problems

I recently have been having a number of glue failures on the model I'm working, and have come to question the glue. It is Titebond 2, but its at least 2 years old, so maybe its shot. I went to Lowes to get new glue. I noticed that Titebond has Quick & Thick Multi Surface Glue. It says its a Thixiotropic PVA , titebond 2 is a cross linking PVA, not sure how that would effect what we do.  Does anyone have any experience using it? It supposedly drys clear and has some gap filling properties, clamping time is half Titebond 2, 15 minutes and opposed to 30 minutes. I bought both.

Any chemists among us have any thoughts?

Kurt

Posted (edited)

Thixiotropic  means that when still - it is thick and acts solid - when shaken - it is fluid.

My guess is that it would be usful on a bond where normal PVA would flow off . 

Otherwise, I imagine a downside - more difficulty getting complete coating on both mating surfaces.

If your Titebond II bottle is other than yellow cream in color, or has a strong acetic acid smell - it has deteriorated.

My guess is that your surface prep could be the problem.

PVA bonds by a chemical reaction - long cross linked chains.  The surfaces must be porous.  They must be close together.

I do not use finer than 220 grit abrasive and I scrape with a steel edge on both faces. The scraping clears sawdust from the pores.

Clamp as tight as can be had without crushing the wood fibers - Use a buffer of a softer wood species as an layer between

the work and the clamp face.

Ultimately, consider using an old school technique ( Underhill I think ) suspenders and a belt =  glue and dowels.

I clamp overnight or 8-12 hrs.  I wait at least 24 before using any mechanical force on the area.

Edited by Jaager

It was the Dark Titebond so it was kinda mocha color and cures brown, as for smell I don't remember any, its already in dumpster. I always score the surfaces with a new knife blade. Unfortunately in this particular instance I really can't clamp it, its too delicate, even for rubber bands. I usually try and peg joints some how with brass wire. I may end up trying to do that in the end.

Thanks,

Kurt

I save a lot of the foam packing - both peanut type and sponge sheets.

I use the pink stuff from Jim Byrnes to make custom glue spreaders

miniature versions of disposable sponge brushes - using 1-3 round toothpicks

and Duco cement (not much good for anything else - poor shear strength for me).

Any Way - perhaps you can cut some foam as an intermediate to protect the piece

for clamping.