Hello from Upstate NY

Hello everyone,  I am new to this forum and new to ship building.  I have been working with wood for years building mostly shaker/mission style furniture.  Almost a year ago I lost my nice wood shop (in a divorce) so I had to downscale A LOT.  I missed working with wood and building things so I went on the internet looked at various small scale projects and decided I would give wood ship models a try.  I was always fascinated with tugboats and steamboats so it felt like a match made in heaven for me.  Thus far I have been doing a lot of research regarding my first build.  As I said I do have some experience with wood, but never with model ship building and seeing I really love steamboats I decided on Chaperon from Model Shipway.  I am now reading through some of the build logs on here for this ship and hoping I did not get myself in over my head for my first build.  

Well, just wanted to do a little introduction of myself.  I look forward to getting to know some of you and learning from all of the knowledge and experience within this forum.

Regards,

Shean

Shean,

Welcome! I grew up in Wayne County (along Lake Ontario between Rochester and Syracuse) and my stepfather is a woodworker/cabinet-maker there.

I'm a serious riverboat afficionado and you'll find several folks on here with extensive knowledge, particularly regarding the Chaperon. I'm so glad you chose that as your build, it's the most accurate riverboat kit out there (especially compared to some of the fanciful European versions). There are several very good build logs of Chaperon that you could peruse as a reference, and a few years ago I started a general riverboat thread that has accumulated a variety of interesting subjects. Here are just a few links; using the search function will turn up several more:

Riverboat thread

Chaperon by Blighty

Chaperon by Mike Dowling

User Kurt Van Dahm is an expert on the Chaperon and pretty much anything else riverboat-related; if he doesn't find your build, go to his profile and send him a direct message.

I hope you start a build log so we can all follow your progress. Welcome to MSW!

Shean!

We have a group of modelers in Rochester NY. Please visit our site www.modelshipwrightguildwny.org to get a sense of who we are. If you are near we would certainly enjoy your participation as we have all levels of skill and interests in the group. We have a member in Syracuse and one in Buffalo. They commute to our monthly meetings. We also have a member in Lisbon Portugal that will be coming to the US to give a seminar on July 28th (see our EVENTS and TOPICS OF INTEREST on the web site to learn more). If you can make it,  there would be a warm welcome awaiting you!

If you wish

Joe

Edited by Thistle17

Thank you all for the warm welcomes. 

Eric, I have read through the build by Mike Dowling, will certainly be using that as a great reference for my build.  I did see that Kurt seems to have a lot of experience and some great tips and advice, I look forward to tapping into some of that knowledge.  

Joe, I am currently living in the Glens Falls region (about 15 mins. south of Lake George), but I am looking to move to the Rome area within the next 6 months to a year and when I do I will most certainly enjoy attending your group and getting to meet some fellow modelers.  Thank you for the invite.

David, Interesting I will definitely look up his website. 

Chris, Exactly, one of the reasons I did not want to do any kind of schooner for my first build, plus I have always had a fascination with Tugs and Steamboats.

Again, thank you all for your warm welcome and I look forward to getting to know you all better.

Shean it may be a long drive but if you can attend the July 28th seminar in the flyerI referenced, it may be a good way for you to meet everyone. The title of the seminar is a bit misleading as it will be a pretty complete expose' on how he built the Sultanah for the country of Oman's new museum. It is a 1:24 scale model of incredible work. It may be worth the trip for you. Do let us know as we have a few more seats available and it is right off exit 45 on the NYS Thruway.

Joe

Shean,

As a former upstate New  Yorker (Mohawk Valley and the Rochester area) please accept my warm welcome to this forum. To repeat others, you can't find a more  knowledgeable group of folks willing to share. I hope you do a build log on Chaperon. I have finished my Chaperon, but am not computer savvy enough to do a log.

Have fun,

Pythagoras(Tom)

:sign:

And greetings from Belgium

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Shean,

Welcome to the site. I grew up in Gloversville NY. Your first build is always a little daunting. I remember looking at the instructions for my first build and wondering, "Is this all the instructions I get?". There are plenty of modelers here to ask for advice. Have fun.

Rich

Completed scratch build: The armed brig "Badger" 1777

Current scratch build: The 36 gun frigate "Unite" 1796

Completed kits: Mamoli "Alert", Caldercraft "Sherbourne"