RN Tribal H Class conversion to G Class Destroyer by cog - FINISHED - Trumpeter - 1/350

1 hour ago, popeye the sailor said:

quite a feat,  considering your working with plastic  :D  :D   {ain't I a card} ;) 

Never heard of plastic metal ...?  :D ;)

plastic_metal.jpg.5aabe395ef0ce6b31161fac0a3585fb1.jpg

you're working with card now ...!!! what build log?

21 minutes ago, Old Collingwood said:

Looking forward to seeing the next build carl.

OC.

Already am ... partially that is, hull has been prepped, working on the superstructures, when waiting for the current one ... slow and easy, first to finish the Glowworm ...

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

I thought at one stage to build HMS Kelly to go alongside the ole girl  from the Trumpeter kits,  but that will have to go on hold  - this xmas my plan is to buy and build The Black Pearl  (Pirates of the Caribbean)  we are both fans of the films  for the wife,  and to treat myself to Trumpy's 1/350 HMS Hood and update set.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

enlarging the image..........I recognize the brand {we have it over here},  but not the product.  I'll definitely have to see how you use it.  no card Carl.......it's just one of our U.S. crazy expressions ;)    being a card,  means trying to be funny.......a joker 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

19 minutes ago, popeye the sailor said:

enlarging the image..........I recognize the brand {we have it over here},  but not the product.  I'll definitely have to see how you use it.  no card Carl.......it's just one of our U.S. crazy expressions ;)    being a card,  means trying to be funny.......a joker 

"Plastic metal" is a generic term for our brand (in the USA) called: "J B Weld"

we also have a product called 'liquid steel'..........used it when I was working on cars.   don't recall what color it was though.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Searching sometin ...

448541269_IMG_3798copy.thumb.jpg.f49c2ab6868a2cc85bc4d9a93271f6b7.jpg326832772_IMG_3801copy.thumb.jpg.0ff89ab21532a5ba122a11388c07d8ce.jpg

tomorrow some better piccies, the light doesn't really cooperate

next steps, matt lacquer all over, after that, the railings on the aft and lower deck, then move forard to finish the forecastle ... a bit of flat lacquer again, and then rigging

Carl

Whats your working ethic for the rails - one long - ish run at a time or small sections?

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

On 8/9/2018 at 10:09 AM, RGL said:

Are you suggesting you’ll have a tantrum and throw her across the room? 

7 hours ago, RGL said:

I’m loving that deck! How’s about a pin wash for the search lights?

DARN!!! I warned you ... the bitch could just catch her flying ...

:D :D :D

Yes it looks like a new ensign on a manure barge ... doesn't fit in yet ...

Edited by cog

Carl

7 hours ago, Old Collingwood said:

Whats your working ethic for the rails - one long - ish run at a time or small sections?

OC.

That's a hard question, especially since I do not have any ethics when it comes to work ...

Let's put it this way: It is a long piece of brass, and will be hell to cut up and put back together again without to much loss (I would certainly have a tantrum whilst doing that), so I'll just put it on in one piece, but I glue it in sections

Carl

652281811_IMG_2127copy.thumb.jpg.281153e23545b773382325f75c05f310.jpg1548889171_IMG_2129copy.thumb.jpg.149d5e188bddbe6d5dc327f755a512bc.jpg589879975_IMG_2136copy.thumb.jpg.9376bb3769b07fbc34f154d56ac11697.jpg

The rust ... it didn't tone down after applying matt varnish (at least the one from Vallejo) ... ah well, another lesson learned ... and it's the first weathered ship for me ... still lots to learn!!!

Carl

Looking smart mate,  if you are not happy with the weathering cant you dry brush the hull abit using a medium size brush, to blend it all in abit.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

What do you do - tack them in place with thick pva then when the pva has set run some ca along the bottom?

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

but for the type of CA, you are on the right track, I use the quick drying version, the thin, else I'm holding those railings forever, at least it feels that way. I start at the side from where I have the largest straight part, so on this model from front to back. I've got those blobs near th rear deck, and the round stern to form, but once the previous part is set, that's easy peasy. I need to make an eye for the bow, to put a cable through, and then I can add the mast and finish the railing. After that ...pulling strings, and a stand, probably clear plexiglass again ... got enough left for some hundred in this size ...

Carl

Railings have been installed as well as the fore ensign mast with it's pass through whatcha-me-call-it. Made it from a small slice of flat brass and 0.5mm rod soldered together with silver paste

1010503581_IMG_3809copy.thumb.jpg.4c1d680e95ac5c11b81cd28969d25405.jpg

Painted too, and the remaining 3 hours I've been at tying down two funnels ... a mere 10 threads ... tomorrow the rigging ... hope it goes slightly faster :wacko:

Carl

sweet look'in ship Carl....very well done  :)    are you gonna paint the railings?

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Thank you for the likes gents, much appreciated.

Thanks Denis,

6 hours ago, popeye the sailor said:

are you gonna paint the railings?

As I wrote:

7 hours ago, cog said:

Painted too

probably not the clearest way to point it out ... ;) 

Carl

That is a great idea!!! Now you have planted that thought in me head ... Always liked B&W photographs, used to take none other when there was film!! Still do from time to time or convert them to it, although the latter is less fun, Especially winter landscapes I like to do in B&W , but it would be grand to see her in the good ole B&W. Thanks for that and the positive comment of course

Cheers

Carl

Outstanding job on the weathering effects, Carl.

But really, Carl !?!?  Would any Fleet Admiral allow one of his active duty Naval Warships to get that grungy ?   I would think at the Admiral's next Inspection visit, he'd relieve the ship's Captain of his command and put the crew on latrine duty for not keeping their ship all nice and ship-shape and "purdy" <pretty>. Or is this one of those mothballed ships? :D;):D:D

But again !  Outstanding job of weathering. :cheers:

Hmmm, maybe you should book a cruise from e.g. Halifax to Mumansk, with a troop of hungry subs breathing in your neck, no or very limited paint supplies, and bad weather ... yes that would be a nice mixture for a cruise on a WWII destroyer :D

Thanks Jack. This was my "how bad can I make her loo with weathering" project ... I just need a few more rigging lines and I'm finished with this one ... two more to go after :O

Carl

8 minutes ago, cog said:

Hmmm, maybe you should book a cruise from e.g. Halifax to Mumansk, with a troop of hungry subs breathing in your neck, no or very limited paint supplies, and bad weather ... yes that would be a nice mixture for a cruise on a WWII destroyer :D

This reminds me of a story my uncle told me about his service during WW2 aboard a Liberty Ship on the North Sea. They once were carrying (among other things) a large quantity of smoke bombs in their hold in route to Murmansk. Extremely bad weather/high seas caused sea water to enter the hold and potentially wetting the smoke bombs they carried. These smoke bombs were made to detonate when wet....I'm guessing they were used as concealment on ships by throwing them overboard. The concern was the smoke bombs would all ignite and potentially cause the entire ship to burn. They managed to keep it under control and nothing bad happened on this particular trip. Later convoys were much more tragic with German torpedo bombers ripping apart their convoys and losing a great deal of ships. Harrowing tales. 

50 minutes ago, cog said:

This was my "how bad can I make her loo with weathering" project ...

Then I would say you succeeded beyond all expectations. 

Edited by Jack12477

1270928235_IMG_2159copy.thumb.jpg.22335f0dd0fc5ed5cdcbe4a6fa24a15b.jpg1743270341_IMG_2160copy.thumb.jpg.3a65bae238fbb6131d460cee38b84e79.jpg1108977476_IMG_2161copy.thumb.jpg.44ccb7336171b90dec91674699e2b39a.jpg880786207_IMG_2162copy.thumb.jpg.47355394462bc4d58b27bc590cc9d652.jpg150218146_IMG_2163copy.thumb.jpg.93b8f35e28c2c6bc063c7069c4a9982a.jpg1478619899_IMG_2164copy.thumb.jpg.8d99ee3aa202fce8dfe6bf97a7118933.jpg1723068361_IMG_2165copy.thumb.jpg.b403a47ed82c8e28734c1e51abcb15cc.jpg17089377_IMG_2166copy.thumb.jpg.3d6040773daf734daf6bd8aa486de35c.jpg

1133271090_IMG_2168copy.thumb.jpg.1e278ede9feaecc51da892c0832a348e.jpg

so what went wrong ... missing depth markers ... missing nr ... to late to add or I would have te redo the weathering on the hull, to which I would not be looking forward. some minor items to go" The white bands to secure the boats, some more carleyfloats with paddles

(has there been an update recently ... site is behaving odd ...!?)

Edited by cog

Carl

Now THAT is a hard working destroyer. Interesting to see it in B&W.

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Thanks Lou

2 hours ago, lmagna said:

Now THAT is a hard working destroyer. Interesting to see it in B&W.

Yes it is nice in B&W, tones down the harsh colours too. Great idea from RGL!

Carl