G Class Destroyer by cog - FINISHED - Trumpeter - 1/350 - PLASTIC - from Tribal Class kit

I can get Tamiya, Testors and Vallejo here for reasonable prices.  Have not seen rattle can Tamiya primer yet but I do have a few rattle cans of Testors primer, does Testors work okay on PE.  I think I have a bottle of Tamiya brush-on primer in my stash. Have to look. I've only just started to use Vallejo - mostly on wood tho, not plastic.  Have a fair amount of Testors ModelMaster brand paints.

The brush-on doesn't give you the finish you want, besides it clogs up thos little openings you have with PE, it would be a sin to loose such detail ... you can try the testors on the "fret" of some PE ... Normally, where Tamiya pot paint is sold, they sell the cans. Tamiya makes you bleed to sell their products, you have to take the line or you don't get to sell it here in Europe. On the other hand it is good ... Ah, yes before I forget. IF you want to thin Tamiya down, take the thinner with the blue cap, it thins apperantly better than the accrylic one (white cap) I have to order one such bottle, since I bought the white one <bummer> I tried water on accrylics to thin them down, but I was not impressed with it at all, so now I use brand speciffic thinners. With the present warmth 30ºC (we have had a heat wave) I used some stuff to make it dry less quickly as well

Edited by cog

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Just finished  ... need a few hardly visible touch-ups, When I paint the deck furniture, I have to give a very light spray o gray on the port bow, just not enough coverage ... 5b4e194ecaadd_IMG_3762copy.thumb.jpg.992e6b741664daae0127734082f3fc23.jpg5b4e195c4449d_IMG_3763copy.thumb.jpg.7c51009ad5d6ed5112cac656cb345d55.jpg5b4e19690af60_IMG_3764copy.thumb.jpg.94f9e713ea66d719cac5a19f5246bc63.jpg5b4e1940c1333_IMG_3765copy.thumb.jpg.013ca2160047f2a899d3395b26b8fe0c.jpg

and a way to get the shading of the plating straight!

Carl

The only way I've found to etch PE or any other brass is vinegar.  Time will vary depending on the brass.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Finished the primer on the deck furniture, added some shading, although I'll need to do some more, after that the first coat of grey. In the mean time I've been adding some rustOpowder to the hull, today the horizontal streeks, add some to the bow and it's lacking between a midships and stern on both sides, but that'll have to wait until the deck gets populated, need to add some softness to some of the "blobs" ... after the rust,another layer of flat varnish, then the salt streaks ... that should be interesting ...

IMG_3771 copy.jpg

IMG_3770 copy.jpg

Edited by cog

Carl

Looking smart carl.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

looks super Carl...very nice weathering too  :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

I agree with Popeye, the weathering looks great, especially the way you did the rust lines. 

Marcus 

Current Built: Zeehaen 1639, Dutch Fluit from Dutch explorer Abel J. Tasman

Unofficial motto of the VOC: "God is good, but trade is better"

Many people believe that Captain J. Cook discovered Australia in 1770. They tend to forget that Dutch mariner Willem Janszoon landed on Australia’s northern coast in 1606. Cook never even sighted the coast of Western Australia).

Thank you for the likes and comments gents.

Yesterday evening I rubbed the rust a bit down, and added the horizontal streaks. The latter I'll finish this evening. No pictures yet, battery pack empt .p.t..p..t...p...t....p.....p. So hopefully this evening. After that ... glossy varnish and up to the salt encrustation

(Received HMS Eskimo last Saturday ... I'll have to look into the other WWII RN destroyer types, need to alter her bowline as well, like the other hull I've got)

Edited by cog

Carl

Added some "horizontal rust" ... and some subsurface level rust. When it's somewhat less hot than 35ºC we've got I'll get the lacquer out ... prepping for the next stage. Battery charged ... which means ...

(Yesterday)

5b55f06fe51e3_IMG_3772copy.thumb.jpg.2bf419ceea8c089bf35888cb62373142.jpg

(Today)

5b55f07edc427_IMG_3775copy.thumb.jpg.502bccd90b831c7378305fbeea664e1d.jpg5b55f08e12ee5_IMG_3774copy.thumb.jpg.f4d9fb24485d85c7a9c73612df3b666d.jpg

Daylight makes a lot of difference too ...

Edited by cog

Carl

......let's talk about the upkeep on your boat.......looks a bit grungy to me  ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

5 hours ago, Jack12477 said:

Nice job on the rust.  Looks like an old tub (rust bucket) in mothballs ..... ;):D

5 hours ago, popeye the sailor said:

......let's talk about the upkeep on your boat.......looks a bit grungy to me  ;) 

Just back from convoy duty on the North route to Murmansk ... low on paint and far to low temperatures to paint ...

Carl

8 hours ago, RGL said:

Nice flogging you’ve given her!

Tell that the Admiralty, they sent them round the North Cape ...

Thought the first streaks were hard ... toned them down ... now beneath the gloss :wacko: they are even harder ... they will brobably tone down after the flat laquer has been applied

Edited by cog

Carl

Had some spare time today, so I got in th spray booth ... deck blue ... made on recipe

869075710_IMG_3779copy.thumb.jpg.179d14afe278d302210e1a35365024fe.jpg

a bit of pastel added ... some more to go ...

829354478_IMG_3780copy.thumb.jpg.30febc8c0ccfcbd087eb1875d7be573e.jpg1127108653_IMG_3781copy.thumb.jpg.51cbbfec52d0734963c3d9c30b9eaab3.jpg

Hope to get some time this week to paint deck furnishings, like the bridge, and raised gun platforms

Carl

19 minutes ago, cog said:

Had some spare time today, so I got in th spray booth ... deck blue ... made on recipe

869075710_IMG_3779copy.thumb.jpg.179d14afe278d302210e1a35365024fe.jpg

a bit of pastel added ... some more to go ...

829354478_IMG_3780copy.thumb.jpg.30febc8c0ccfcbd087eb1875d7be573e.jpg1127108653_IMG_3781copy.thumb.jpg.51cbbfec52d0734963c3d9c30b9eaab3.jpg

Hope to get some time this week to paint deck furnishings, like the bridge, and raised gun platforms

Coming along very nicely mate,  the hull looks the business  and that deck grey looks perfect,   I would imagine most deck painted areas would have used a kind of anti - slip paint?

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

look'in good Carl...nicely done :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Thanks for the likes, and the comments gents! Very much appreciated

7 hours ago, Old Collingwood said:

I would imagine most deck painted areas would have used a kind of anti - slip paint?

I would have expected something like that too, but I couldn't find any reference towards such a slippery subject. Just following someones trail isn't the way I planned this build.

I was glad I could lay my hands on the recipe for deck blue, as it is not available in any brand: One drop of this, three drops a that, thirteen drops a that, all times ten since seventeen drops hardly be enough to paint one deck, let alone three! If you find something on anti-nickers, pls, le'me know. I can still add it to the deck.

Hope to get some paint on the deck structures, funnels, and other assortments this week, but life seems to be intent on getting in the way of fun things

Edited by cog

Carl

I suspect most modern navies use anti-slip paints nowadays. A coat of flat paint should suffice at the scales we build in.

This is a paint guide for a US carrier, but it has a number of paint brands and also adjusts for scale.

Base chart: https://www.cybermodeler.com/naval/essex/essex_profile33-10a.shtml

Scale fade discussion: https://www.cybermodeler.com/color/scale_effect.shtml

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

Thanks Ken, I got only errors on the first one, I should be used to that, and the second link is a confirmation of what I've read on modelwarships.com, explained in a different way. Still I like the way he takes his stand on scale fading.

Carl

Hmm, I could get to the carrier paint guide with no hitches. Firewalls?

Yes, when you go to the base Cybermodeler website and follow the links, there are a big spread of colors based on scale fade.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

I don't think firewalls, it could be my poor internet connectivity, [rant on] I was going for glassfiber, but in the end it won't become available where I live. The company which offered to make it available needed 50% of the households to participate (the infrastructure needs to be laid out as well), but the morrons in the hood want to over-pay for their connection. However, I'm not prepared to pay €55 - €65 for cable internet, since I do not need 70+ channels for the telly (we hardly ever look, but for news, and weather) or telephone, as we both have portables ...

[rant off]

They do carry quite a few, mostly army, and airforce though. Oddly enough, it seems there is just one navy :wacko: ... or should I say "typically" ;) 

No painting done, to "warm" - as RGL put it - in the booth, I saw myself turn into a puddle on the floor ... If I ever go to the southern hemisphere, I think to skip Aussie all together and go straight to NZ considering the remarks on the lovely temperatures in the land of Aussies, on the other hand, I would miss some fun people ...

At the beginning of this week I had a lucid moment, despite the warmth, got the second hull primed. First a layer of Tamiya grey, than a thinned solution of Vallejo black, then I gave it a piyama stripe mask and added several layers of Tamiya again. As far as I can see it looks promising for the next paint layers ... curious as to how that will turn out and especially when!

Edited by cog

Carl