G Class Destroyer by cog - FINISHED - Trumpeter - 1/350 - PLASTIC - from Tribal Class kit

You can always come to sunny Ballarat, Carl. Tonight it will 3 degrees C, 12 degrees tomorrow. Just make sure you come in winter! (It gets up to 35 or even 40 in summer.)

Of course, Greg lives in Canberra. Brrrr!

Steven

Edited by Louie da fly

Those are nice temps mate :) Keeps you on your feet hopping and jumping, whilst when it gets t hot you won't accomplish anything :D Now I know why you go so fast presently in your own build!!!

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Yeah, the ship modeling websites, like Steel Navy and Model warships, seem to lack the kinds of discussions the aircraft and armor folks have.  Outside of what Greg and a few other MSW members are doing of late, we're in that same boat, so to speak. So, I surf the aircraft sites for tips and techniques. I've been reading up on the painting stuff by a gentleman named Mig Jimenez. He's Spanish, has a line of paint and weathering "fluids" and publishes books, pamphlets and YouTube videos on using his products.

The weather will break and you'll be able to tear along with your painting. It's been pouring out here; about 4 inches at least since Tuesday morning. I'm a ways up a hillside, but the runoff raises heck with our gravel road. Several cuts across the road, so we need to crawl out or risk removing the entire underframe. :rolleyes:

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

We won't be having that luxury for some time to come yet. It will be getting warmer and dryer for the next two weeks, at least, that's what predictions seem to tell us. I still find it hard to believe those predicaments... unfortunately they have been rather accurate off late ... warm, warmer, hot, and back again. No rain, no rain, no rain ... so we are not confronted with runoff roads or sudden unexpected canyons ...

Edited by cog

Carl

I have learnt a LOT from Mr K who is doing the big BB. He’s the expert on how to for big boats. There’s some really good videos on Utube for submarines weathering but we need to keep it in perspective that a ship of a few K men have to be kept busy. A 1/35 bit of large metal at 1/350 will look like a bit of spakle on a ship as opposed to lovely chipping on a tank. 

Greg

Steven,

Greg would like those summery winter temps I believe, at least when you listen to him - I know I should only listen to his wheathering technique instructions ;) but he keeps on twisting my arm ...

Edited by cog

Carl

I appreciate that Greg........but you needn't wait for me.   while I've done a little on Vendetta,  there is little to write home about.  it's been very hot here,  and I've had so many 'distractions'.......I just feel like I'd be holding you folks back.   these group builds are a very good idea.......I would encourage anyone who has the time to participate.   the Seydlitz build is going to be a spectacular project....sad,  but I will likely be watching from the side lines.  I have other projects that I really need to focus on...bad enough that I have a 'what if' in my head that is goading me to pull the trigger.  the pull is so great.....worse I feel than when I did the Andrea Gail.....and we all know what happened when I finally gave in.   you and Carl have unique projects going on ........I'll look forward for the next group build ;)  

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Got some spray in the air this morning at 6:30. a reasonable temp at hat time - low twenties (C) - and after that some more weathering of the deck structures, still some cleaning up to do. Need to finish the funnels, but that will be done off ship. Besides I forgot to add the eyelets on them to tie them down ... more fiddley work ... broke the yards from the foremast, some repairs too

And what you've been waitin for ...

194582421_IMG_2125copy.thumb.jpg.282e56b309666bdd2c22bc2613e41141.jpg1698629898_IMG_2119copy.thumb.jpg.c797c816b4855e01dc7ed7c03449b5e8.jpg281770358_IMG_2120copy.thumb.jpg.673a61e20e46bd241ce386dec5bbffac.jpg1642671983_IMG_2121copy.thumb.jpg.8892daa9829a18a7f55181f60fd9d564.jpg1244013827_IMG_2123copy.thumb.jpg.dabe79c049baff2128e12b911dd93764.jpg1838897160_IMG_2124copy.thumb.jpg.5d8eb2906abbf985d4e6953b2362263e.jpg1078880196_IMG_2122copy.thumb.jpg.f5e41a68e4521c38f0cef7e3333f8384.jpg

and a piyama hull

1231014518_IMG_3782copy.thumb.jpg.fead183be9bb8588da75380eb100d710.jpg

Carl

13 hours ago, cog said:

Got some spray in the air this morning at 6:30. a reasonable temp at hat time - low twenties (C) - and after that some more weathering of the deck structures, still some cleaning up to do. Need to finish the funnels, but that will be done off ship. Besides I forgot to add the eyelets on them to tie them down ... more fiddley work ... broke the yards from the foremast, some repairs too

And what you've been waitin for ...

194582421_IMG_2125copy.thumb.jpg.282e56b309666bdd2c22bc2613e41141.jpg1698629898_IMG_2119copy.thumb.jpg.c797c816b4855e01dc7ed7c03449b5e8.jpg281770358_IMG_2120copy.thumb.jpg.673a61e20e46bd241ce386dec5bbffac.jpg1642671983_IMG_2121copy.thumb.jpg.8892daa9829a18a7f55181f60fd9d564.jpg1244013827_IMG_2123copy.thumb.jpg.dabe79c049baff2128e12b911dd93764.jpg1838897160_IMG_2124copy.thumb.jpg.5d8eb2906abbf985d4e6953b2362263e.jpg1078880196_IMG_2122copy.thumb.jpg.f5e41a68e4521c38f0cef7e3333f8384.jpg

and a piyama hull

1231014518_IMG_3782copy.thumb.jpg.fead183be9bb8588da75380eb100d710.jpg

Looking smart carl.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Thanks for the likes gents, I always liked those fancy striped PJ's OC, as long as I don't need to wear them ;) 

Been busy with the funnels, eyelets, black ribbon and tops, hammering away at the metal to get some rusty spots, grime streaks ... ah well you know the drill ... hours of work on a 1 square mm (1/25 square inch). Might even get that finished today

By the way Greg, that three tone barrel on KGV ... I would start off with white, Then spray from front to back center top with the blue, this would get you a bit of a gradient halfway down, mask it and spray the remainder. You will certainly have exchanged the kit's barrels for brass ones, so you can practice on the kit's if this is an option for you ... you might even get a solid colour on the second all the way to the middle ... 

Edited by cog

Carl

Last update for this week - build wise  - weathered the funnels, added davits, the range finder and controler after installing and staining the bridge's deck, prepped ship's boats and a couple of other things for the HMCS H class variant

1133823325_IMG_3783copy.thumb.jpg.fe9d8a2e18cf3a692650fb9be51cff4a.jpg1490047972_IMG_3785copy.thumb.jpg.79c58dbbb7b9b7a87f4ea6bd2fa3b9b2.jpg2107195069_IMG_3784copy.thumb.jpg.80aefdfa439d0da0bf64cd4be9e16533.jpg

Next up are the mid section tubes, a tower with a search light (scratch), the quadruple vickers platform with the floats, the life boats, some amunition boxes, and whatever else comes up, so I can finish that section ...

enjoy, have good  week

Edited by cog

Carl

Could do a bit of work today, messed up the deck, so I had to colourise it, now remains some white and black pastels to rub in, and it will blend in nicely with the rest of the deck. Added the ship's boats, the vickers platform, need to add another two carley floats to the stack and tie them down, torpedo tubes fitted, still the search light tower to make ... nearly there with the middle and aft deck ... getting somewhere now ... I see a finish somewhere very distant ...

1310501171_IMG_3795copy.thumb.jpg.bdb08f1b9bc8d61dc5a3b966553e7e09.jpg162413218_IMG_3790copy.thumb.jpg.8ee9d9441f07ebd5fe8eab65b1aa3129.jpg1036755330_IMG_3793copy.thumb.jpg.9c47345e8ae1491d77ce7cdfe1a4cad0.jpg

Carl

Looking very nice carl,   sure makes a difference to our builds when we start populating the decks with all sorts of stuff.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Carl, I think you could classify this as a "beater". Nice job with the weathering/rust.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

Thank you gents, those are some great comments. However, don't give me to much credit before she's finished, the fat lady might just sit on it instead of sing about it ...

Cheers

Carl

Probably, but that might be because you suddenly start to say nice things to me ... another option is that I got home frustrated from something called work and smash my laptop on top of her ... not likely, because I tend to throw my electronic mouse against the wall, or smash it on the desk ...

Carl

2 hours ago, cog said:

Probably, but that might be because you suddenly start to say nice things to me ... another option is that I got home frustrated from something called work and smash my laptop on top of her ... not likely, because I tend to throw my electronic mouse against the wall, or smash it on the desk ...

I just go into a sulk  and act like a teenager (the wife isnt too impressed when Im like that).

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

2 hours ago, Old Collingwood said:

I just go into a sulk  and act like a teenager (the wife isnt too impressed when Im like that).

OC.

OC lets be honest ... whom ever would be 😀

Edited by cog

Carl

I just grab a beer and get on my B cycle {been do'in that a lot lately}.   the ship's look'in too good,  to be the focus of anger ;)   nice work on the other hull too.....great job on both!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

it's been very hot here........and the storms haven't helped much.  humidity is very high too....work is still a discouraging word as well.  by the looks of things.......you'll have that armada before you know it :)   I think it's interesting how they are similar to the Vendetta.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Denis,

All WWII destroyers were based on a design derived from improvements on previous ones, which resulted in these. The average shape was more or less the same, differences were made in the propulsion system, engines, deck layout, and armament. Later radar was added and improved. The next build will be an HMCS ship, which has a longer rear superstructure, double barelled guns, if I'm not mistaken 4" instead of the 4.7" on this one, one set of quadruple torpedo tubes, and instead of two quad vickers, oerlikons, and radar, no searchlight.

In effect the G&H class are a blown up version of the V&W class, the latter (despite the further in the alphabeth) were build just after WWI. I think they needed the heavier, and larger ships to compensate for Germany's ships and probably for the infamous Northern Route to Murmansk. Haven't read up on that. Although the difference in details aren't that overwhelming, they are clear enough, besides that, there is a distinct difference in camouflage, which I want to try out as well ... so the next will be weathered camouflage ... whatever that will look like ... probably a bare metal hull ;)

Carl

quite a feat,  considering your working with plastic  :D  :D   {ain't I a card} ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

1 hour ago, cog said:

Denis,

All WWII destroyers were based on a design derived from improvements on previous ones, which resulted in these. The average shape was more or less the same, differences were made in the propulsion system, engines, deck layout, and armament. Later radar was added and improved. The next build will be an HMCS ship, which has a longer rear superstructure, double barelled guns, if I'm not mistaken 4" instead of the 4.7" on this one, one set of quadruple torpedo tubes, and instead of two quad vickers, oerlikons, and radar, no searchlight.

In effect the G&H class are a blown up version of the V&W class, the latter (despite the further in the alphabeth) were build just after WWI. I think they needed the heavier, and larger ships to compensate for Germany's ships and probably for the infamous Northern Route to Murmansk. Haven't read up on that. Although the difference in details aren't that overwhelming, they are clear enough, besides that, there is a distinct difference in camouflage, which I want to try out as well ... so the next will be weathered camouflage ... whatever that will look like ... probably a bare metal hull ;)

Looking forward to seeing the next build carl.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.