HMS Agamemnon by Vicnelson - Caldercraft - 1:64

I'm new to this forum, or any forum for that matter.  HMS Agamemnon is my most ambitious model yet. Supplied by Cornwall Models in the UK. I was inspired to get this kit by Sandercott's build log http://www.sandercott.ca/modelships/agamemnon/agamemnon_build_page1.php and Harmut's log on Pete Coleman's site http://pete-coleman.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=137&t=1593

I've been building model boats both wood and plastic since I was a wee one. I now prefer wood but still occasionally dabble in plastic, my last being a Tamiya kit of KGV completed in 2017. That said I'm still learning.

My previous two kits came from the Del Prado magazine the Bounty and the Victory (1:100) which I enjoyed building but after seeing the very good quality of the Caldercraft kit I now realise these kits weren't all that great.  

Back to HMS Agamemnon (or Aggy as I call her when discussing my time in my 'man cave' to my wife - I think she understands) this was a Christmas present from her but I only started in early May due to other commitments (and waiting on some better weather to allow sitting for hours in a shed) but I have been getting on very well with the first planking completed and gunport construction underway just now.  I've posted some photos which I hope others will enjoy and would appreciate positive feedback.

I do have one initial question though - I've recently developed an allergic reaction to superglue (CA) and am now using Hypo cement as a replacement.  Does anyone have a better alternative than this as I'm not looking forward to coppering the hull without a fast bonding adhesive. 

Vicnelson

Photo 1. Starting on 4 May.

Photo 2. Initial tructure complete and lower gundeck painted.

Photo 3. making sure masts line up properly

Photo 4. Upper gundeck planked

Photo 5. 1st planking complete just some filling and sanding to finish.

Gunports next...

IMG_0711.jpg

IMG_0718.jpg

IMG_0722.jpg

IMG_0734.jpg

IMG_0755.jpg

Gunports cut out and lined using tube method that Hartmut on another forum used - I just couldn't get walnut lining to stick to 1.5mm of strip wood with out using CA (and I'm allergic to that).  The tube method worked a treat.  Now preparing hull for second planking.

I've also added some photos of my previous completion - HMS Victory 1:100 by Del Prado. As you can see it's not a faithful representation as I liked the wooden finish with metal work on this one.

Photos - Victory completed autumn 2017.

Photo - Gunport lining with tube method.

Photo - Getting ready for 2nd planking (without superglue!!)

IMG_0191.jpg

IMG_0190.jpg

IMG_0771.jpg

IMG_0757 (1).jpg

Edited by Vicnelson
Photos came out in different order !

• 4 weeks later...

That's second planking complete with gun ports cut out. Used the kitchen island as a base to mark out the waterline as this is the largest flat area in the house.  That's the makings of Sunday's dinner (my wife's take on Moroccan lamb - very tasty it was too) in the background.

Gunwales and coppering next up.

IMG_0786.jpg

Gunwales on and coppering started.  Using 'Evostick Seriously strong adhesive' as I'm allergic to superglue.  Taking a bit longer! 150 laid at time of post, only 1100 to go on this side.....

I plan to burnish the plates when complete to help with any rough edges and to give it a smoother effect....any ideas out there on what best to use. I was thinking Brasso which I used to shine up my trumpet when I played in a brass band in school ( a very long time ago).

IMG_0796.thumb.jpg.9848a70861e5c27068c3e62a55fd48d4.jpg

It's not too bad.  I think the really smelly (high as a kite glue) is the impact adhesive.  The 'seriously strong' brand is clear with little smell.  Problem is it takes a couple of minutes to cure so I have to put a spot on a piece of scrap wood to get really sticky before using it.  I'm going through a lot of glue - just ordered another 2 tubes to keep me going.  That said its better than the allergy; superglue gives me head cold symptoms for 3 days after even a whiff of the stuff. I was fine until a couple of years ago and it took me ages and lots of tissues and lem-sip before I found the cause of a whole series of miserable "colds"!

On 6/25/2018 at 7:26 PM, Vicnelson said:

Back to HMS Agamemnon (or Aggy as I call her when discussing my time in my 'man cave' to my wife - I think she understands)

As I understand it, her crew referred to her as "Eggs and Bacon".

You're certainly making very good progress on her.

Steven

• 5 weeks later...

Finally that's the hull coppered.  As you can see the coppering highlighted a couple of defects in my planking at the stern leaving a bit of ridge to get around.  Next ship I'll rabit the keel first before assembly of the main structure. One learns!

The Evo 'serious glue' worked out ok.  It left a few glue marks on the copper which I think a white spirit wash and some elbow grease will fix.  It'll also identify any loose copper tiles.  Then to tidy up the keel and complete and fit the rudder so I can start working on the upper hull.  I think transom/rear galleries first which I see from a few other recent posts are a bit fiddly! 

IMG_0817.thumb.jpg.bdb15253c305eda321c9a8e9dee499f9.jpg

• 1 month later...

Just about finished the stern transom and galleries; just some painting to tidy up.  Now that she has her name I thought about a naming ceremony; unfortunately as it is sober October my wife has locked the champagne away.  I'll just have to wait until canny remember November!!

IMG_0977.thumb.jpg.4711ba42009aadc91e5639ac7a007c97.jpg

The stern came together very well and seems you've got the tricky alignment just right with the various curvatures of the rails, looks very pleasing...and well done for getting the coppering done, certainly not one of the most interesting or diverse activities but looking very good.  Will be following from here on if I may.

Edited by Beef Wellington

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

Bow elements complete.  Agamemnon dry fitted for now as I won't attach until bowsprit in place to avoid any damage to it.  Also his helmet plume needs a lick of black paint!

Painting of hull started in earnest (and yes that paint run to be removed:-( ).

IMG_0981.thumb.jpg.f3a3ea6535d5d514f9edd2ab33a6cd48.jpg

Working on 18lb gun carriages - all cut out and sanded.  No finger prints left!

I'm unsure about what size pulley blocks for running the carriages out, etc to use as the plans only specify the retaining ropes.  I'm thinking of 3mm double blocks (equating to about 7 - 8 inches scaled up).  Any help appreciated.

IMG_0989.thumb.jpg.330fd810fbd234b8341e76d91b5a82c7.jpg

Hi Ian, looking good there, nice prep work!  Assuming you're going to be using the kit blocks, have you considered using 'tub sander' to tumble the blocks?  Taking away the sharp edges makes these look more accurate and help reduce the common problem of looking too big.  Also, personally I find it easier to position and drill out holes needed for the ringbolts before assembly when they can be laid flat before construction, but, just my opinion.

Cheers,

Jason

In the shipyard:

Finished:

18 pounders ready for running out tackle etc; awaiting some bits and bobs (blocks, rings and hooks for gun tackle) from Cornwall Boats.

IMG_0992.thumb.jpg.77e1cbfe6709dce929d5fa51c105a93a.jpg

Dry Fitting channels; I'll finish gun ports lids before getting the glue out for these.

IMG_0991.thumb.jpg.2a75e780a7a7682874430dc01c9cfe8e.jpg

Gunport lids fitted to port side; just to fit gunport ropes and I can attach port side channels; then onto starboard side.  Fitting out the upper gun deck beckons - might have that done by Christmas... if I get the tackle I've ordered Running about 6 weeks behind my initial build schedule.

IMG_0994.thumb.jpg.39dfffe43e5b559c8e9684cc91ee8936.jpg

Hanging out the washing!! Some weight to keep gunport ropes taught while glue drys.

IMG_0996.thumb.jpg.70b7343caaa2a9113c161e28f2407fd2.jpg

Prepping the breech ropes

IMG_0997.thumb.jpg.b0608fb19783db471af2f685a06a1025.jpg

Laying out the 18lbs on the upper gun deck.  Can anyone see my "fix" for a much earlier mistake?

IMG_0998.thumb.jpg.24d35341152da4582ccf35f9f10a6bfd.jpg

That's right - gunports too low when compared to deck.  Luckily only occurs under top deck.  Had to lower cannon by removing wheels.  Oops.  And no, I'm not going back to redo ports....

Very wet weather the other day and my man cave/workshop developed a drip.  Lucky not on anything vital.  Hoping for a dry weekend to fix the roof.

IMG_0999.thumb.jpg.b3e058e32ead514d916a21c1f644a677.jpg

Upper deck fitting attached and breeching ropes fixed to carriages but not to hull yet; gun tackle still too be started and finished.  But I'm getting there I think!  Need to be tidier on gratings.

IMG_1001.thumb.jpg.1be1bae37ece45c2971c19d8ea56c373.jpg

Edited by Vicnelson

You really are motoring Ian and she's looking very nice! Would not have noticed the gun port height issue, very cunning fix.  Good luck with the roof, also, a very nice clamp collection 🙂

Cheers,

Jason

In the shipyard:

Finished: