HMS Agamemnon by Vicnelson - Caldercraft - 1:64

hi Ian,

thats a beautiful build and a beautiful picture illustration too. Very well done !!

Love those sights to the landscape surroundings, your comments and the seasons as they come and go, even wild life in the garden.....

Wish you all the best with the further rigging

Nils

Edited by Mirabell61

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

On 11/16/2018 at 6:47 AM, Vicnelson said:

I'm off to Portsmouth in early December to visit HMS Victory.  Planning to take my 'good' camera to take a few snaps (if allowed) of bits and pieces to help with my Agamemnon build.  If anyone has any requests while I'm there I'll do my best to take a photo and post it.

When we visited her in 2009 and were shown around below decks the guide asked not to take photos. It didn't stop one tour member with a huge expensive camera taking photos of everything in sight . . .

So officially it's frowned upon, but perhaps if you wrote to them first and explained what you wanted and why, you might get a sympathetic hearing. Also photos taken from "outside" (presumably what you mostly want) might be more acceptable.

Steven 

Finally the 18 pounders are finished; took me a lot longer than planned.  Mainly due to having to widen the gun tackle anchor points as the blocks kept meeting before fully tensioned.  You can see the original anchor points, now painted over. Perhaps smaller hooks and blocks next time.

IMG_1009.thumb.jpg.10dcf4841200f0c537e29c631b27f0c6.jpg

The rope coil factory at work...

IMG_1010.thumb.jpg.8b7e60a3257d3e6c414f87798b027f8e.jpg

And top deck glued in place and setting with a few improvised weights.  I've tied off some sheets and tacks early to avoid the tricky attachment to the gun deck cleats through the boat deck.   Getting there....

IMG_1012.thumb.jpg.d30e7cf46e978bed586b7e13bac2197d.jpg

Edited by Vicnelson

• 1 month later...

Quietly working away.  Poop deck installed and top deck completed but I'm going to change the 'safety' rails around the top deck stairwells and use Sandecott's design instead.  They look too flimsy to me.

Also I've stolen my wife's spare hairdryer (not shown) to keep the finished part of the model clean after sanding /fitting new parts.  I hope she doesn't find out until I'm finished with it.

IMG_0079.thumb.jpg.ff79a9921fa3c36a217cbc5a14b8cac5.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Pleased to see you are back, Vic. Your nice build log has inspired me to take on Agamemnon although my skills are not near yours.  The progress you have done in a year is fantastic. i will probably not be at rigging until 2025 🙂. I follow your build log with great interest.

Regards

Henrik

"The secret of getting ahead is getting started" - Mark Twain

Hi Henrik

Thanks for your very kind comments. Good luck with your Agamemnon; it's really a great kit to work with.  As for skills I'm in awe of many of the other builders on this forum; I just keep plodding along.  It's amazing how a lick of paint can cover up the occasional Oops!

Thanks for following the build log.

Ian (aka Vic)

• 2 months later...

Significant moment.  Aggie has been transferred to the rigging out table and onto a 'lazy susan'.  In reality a little work bench I have that is slightly higher than my normal worktop and a revolving board I stole from our kitchen.

Lower masts are installed and I've started on the standing rigging.

IMG_0339.thumb.jpg.2bc2f9927178bfbc300f2f8465810735.jpgIMG_0340.thumb.jpg.7eb95fb507b0ea7f566c83615b309ef4.jpgIMG_0341.thumb.jpg.6485e8167b21600570bcb09c9f22d660.jpg

Hi Ian,

This looks really good. Could  you please post a close-up picture of the fixing of the crowsfeet the fore preventer stay? In Allan Sandercott's build log 

http://www.sandercott.ca/modelships/agamemnon/agamemnon_build_page7.php

there is a picture of the crowsfeet attachment to the preventer stay.

Is it possible to create a little bit more tension in the preventer stay by applying a bit more pulling force from the upper end of the preventer stay? The "arc/bow" is created too little force taken by the preventer stay above where the crowsfeet are attached too the preventer stay compared to what is taken through the crowsfeet. If you can achieve this the tensile force elongation in the upper part of the preventer stay above the the crowsfeet attachment will take off force from the crowsfeet.

This was difficult to explain. I will try make an illustration. I will come back on this. I have to go to work now ☹️.

Regards

Henrik

I think the bow/arc is caused by too much tension in the crowsfeet in relation to the tension in forestay preventer attaching to the fore mast. Maybe it is difficult release tension in crowsfeet but when the main top mast stay is in place it will pull the foremast backwards. What if you pull the foremast back below the trestle tree? Does the bow/arc improve?

We want a nice tension in the crowsfeet without any sagging but the angle/bend of the forestay preventer should be small compared to the angle between crowsfeet and forestay preventer. 

If we look at this as a mechanic problem there are three forces which act on the point where the crowsfeet connect to the forestay preventer. Fa is the force in the forestay preventer towards the bowsprit, Fb the force in the upper part of the forestay preventer stay connecting to the foremast and Fc which is the force in the crowsfeet. What we want is an angle alpha much smaller than the angle beta. The only forces which act in the y-direction are Fb and Fc. Applying Newton's first law one can prove that

Fc/Fb=sin (alpha)/sin (beta)

I would try to increase Fb (tension in the forestay preventer attaching to the foremast). I hope I have not been too long-winded. The NRG motto is "Advancing Ship Modeling Through Research" 🙂Thanks Ian for posting. This will help me when I eventually reach rigging of my Agamemnon.

image.png.355e3ca43342b5d95758220e5bb11fc8.png

Regards

Henrik

Ian, from my experience, getting sufficient tension in rope at this scale is pretty tough as it will put a lot (likely too much) strain on the mounting points - at small scales the relative force of the thread is much more than at full scale .  I suggest the following, before attaching the crowsfeet, soak them in dilute PVA while under tension, that way when dry they will retain their taught profile without actually requiring much in the way of tension from the fore stay preventer.  You should then be able re-attach avoiding the bow that you see .  You could also use the dilute PVA on the standing rigging to introduce a more lifelike 'sag' but that's down to personal taste.

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

• 1 month later...